Bike24/Rosebikes - Anyone pay customs charges?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,940
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
Hello all,

ordered a saddle and shoes from these places, expecting delivery yesterday,

A friend who is house sitting tells me there is a customs charge to pay on something, which I can only assume is one of these.

How can that be though, as items are italian and from german websites - all eu.

Plus I know the post office will whack there £8 'handling' fee on top.
If it is for one of these items, I intend to refuse to pay and it can be returned to sender, as it will then have cost me more than ordering from the uk.

Anyone else had this?
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    Doesn't sound right to me. I've not ordered from either of them, but we sell a lot into the EU. As we sell over the threshold we have to charge VAT for the destination country, but this is all charged at point of sale, same as UK VAT would be. There should be no customs charges.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as above.

there should not be any charges. unless they are actually being shipped form outside the EU.

I would ask the house sitter to confirm that it is a customs charge and not something else. if they can.

again maybe see how long it can be held. and deal with it on your return?

ordered stuff from UK shops and no charges when i was in Sweden.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • daniel_b
    Thanks for the reassurance gents.

Am back home tomorrow, so hopefully housesitter is just getting confused.

Really can't think of anything else excepr a crc and pbk order, neither that would incur charges.

Will update when I have the full story.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Ordered from both companies on numerous occasions..... there were no custom charges, as there shouldn't be for all EU countries.
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    As others have said there will be no UK VAT or import duty on anything sent within the EU. As Bike24 are in Germany you will already have paid the German VAT at I believe 19%.

Any shipment within the EU also doesn't require a customs declaration for this reason.
  • Don't get me started on customs charges. Got something from the USA - had a clear customs declaration with the $ sign very clear - the same with the postage - a clear printed $ sign. So I get charged on these values as if they were both £. That's about 60% extra. And talking to HMRC is so frustrating - they are sooooo unhelpful. I have to claim it back after a clear mistake (being kind)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • daniel_b
    Apologies people, false alarm, the item was an item my gf had ordered as a present for me, and had not told me!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18