Always check the weather on the WHOLE route!

Gpfanuk
Gpfanuk Posts: 142
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
As part of my training plan that I have been on since then start of the year I was out once again out at the crack of dawn today (7.20 and still dark!). Planned everything the night before for my planned 80km ride, liquid - check, fuel/food -check, tyre pressures - check, brakes etc - check. I even checked the weather the night before and although the forecast was for snow at my destination I thought "I'll be okay, weather reports always change".
So as I am going up a killer hill (sat down I hasten to add) and I start to notice the snow building up in the fields alongside me...to cut a long story short I almost turned around because of the cold in may hands due to fingerless mitts (doh!) and no overshoes on my Shimanos.. Why DO they put a hole in the front of the sole other than to numb your toes? But I recalled rule number 5... http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/ :idea: and once I reached my destination I actually couldn't wait for the return leg! Anyone else ever done similar?
Muddy Fox Hardtail Circa 1998
Triban3
Felt AR5
ANC Halfords Peugeot (restored and ridden at Eroica 2015)
A box of bits that will make a fine Harry Hall when I get round to it.
Raleigh tandem of as yet unknown vintage - ongoing restoration for Eroica 2016

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    I've driven for a mtb ride and forgot my clip on shoes which meant a day riding in trainers on eggbeater pedals.

That said though I have never done that again
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I'll check the forecast and then tell myself it's wrong and go anyway - FFS.

AND the holes in the shoes are ventilation - they are summer shoes, much like fingerless gloves!!!.

Are you sure you are safe to be let out on your own.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I've been looking at the forecast all day, hoping that it is going to get better :roll:

It hasn't, so instead of a club run in freezing sleet I've arranged to go on the MTB with my brother instead. Me thinks I should have believed the forecast and planned on the turbo in my garage :!:

We will see.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    When i was 15 years old i set off from Barrow to Kendal a distance of about 35 miles at the time.I got to levens bridge and it started to snow so i set off back home. It,s the longest 20 odd miles i,ve ever done. I was freezing, could barely hold the bars, brakes or operate the downtube gear levers. My toes felt like they were falling off. I learnt a very painfull lesson that day. I was grossly unprepared for the ride and never even gave a thought as to any possible change in the weather. Of course we had no internet in them days , but i have learnt a lesson the hard way.

As recently as yesterday i set off for work on my road bike, conditions were ok. the further i got towards the coast the worse the weather became. Black ice everywhere, i fell twice and had to walk 7 Kms because you just could not ride the bike. What made me angry was the fact that my hybrid bike with ice tyres was sitting in the shed at home. If only i,d known beforehand.Yesterday is without doubt the worse road conditions i,ve ever experienced and i,m 49 years old having cycled since my 14 th.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    An issue here too as there are microclimates around dartmoor, Bodmin moor and Plymouth and conditions can be very different. I tend to do out and back courses for that reason
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    Mitts at the beginning of Feb? :shock:

I'm still wearing two pairs: merino liners and thick winter gloves.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    smidsy wrote:

AND the holes in the shoes are ventilation - they are summer shoes, much like fingerless gloves!!!.

It's not like Golf where you can walk 5 minutes back to the clubhouse and have a few pints
  • MattyyP
    MattyyP Posts: 142
    smidsy wrote:

+1
    Specialized Secteur Sport 2011
    B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
    B'Twin Rockrider 9.1
  • Gpfanuk
    Gpfanuk Posts: 142
    I hasten to add that I am sane, just skint at the moment hence the lack of winter shoes/gloves etc. All has now been remedied via a quick Wiggle order...that won't be happening again anytime soon! :roll:
    Muddy Fox Hardtail Circa 1998
    Triban3
    Felt AR5
    ANC Halfords Peugeot (restored and ridden at Eroica 2015)
    A box of bits that will make a fine Harry Hall when I get round to it.
    Raleigh tandem of as yet unknown vintage - ongoing restoration for Eroica 2016
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "When i was 15 years old i set off from Barrow to Kendal a distance of about 35 miles at the time"

Are they closer together or further apart now?
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Due to the new dual carraigeway that was built i understand it,s considerably less now.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura