Scott Aspect 10 - New Project - Updated 28-2-12

WindyG
WindyG Posts: 1,099
edited May 2013 in Your mountain bikes
Picked up this frame cheap off Ebay, BB already faced, just needed a good clean and new headset.
scottframe.JPG

So a little while later, new Ritchey headset, SLX crankset and BB, RS SID race forks, Scott bars, Easton Stem, SLX shifters and a front Elixir 3 brake all fitted.
scottbuild1.JPG

The complete build will be nearly all SLX groupset apart from XT rear mech, most parts are a mix of second hand or sourced cheaply no RRP at all :-) Found rear caliper is seized so just bought a new set instead.
Should have it all finished this week.

Comments

• Holyzeus
    Holyzeus Posts: 354
    Looking good 8)
    Nicolai CC
  • WindyG
    Cheers, the frame was better than I thought condition wise as it was a bit of a blind purchase, I've pretty much finished it now, just waiting on a new set of brakes, I had a quick ride around the garden, those forks do seem nice very pleased with them, had a head scratching moment working out the remote fitting, I'll hopefully let you know bars wise at the weekend if I get a proper ride on it. I'll add some more pics in the week.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Looking nice.....steerer needs shortening perhaps?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • WindyG
    Yeah not sure on that yet, will ride it for a bit and see, it looks longer in the pic I think.
  • WindyG
    Nearly all done, no brakes fitted yet, should be ready to ride at the weekend. Will be changing bars, saddle, seatpost and grips at some point.
    scottbuild2.JPG
  • Looks good
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • WindyG
    All finished for now, full spec below pic most of it is SLX, can't wait to ride it.

scottbuild3.JPG

Frame: 2010 Scott Aspect 10
    Forks: RS SID Race with poploc
    Bars: Scott
    Stem: Easton EA50
    Spacers: Carbon Fibre
    Headset: Ritchey
    Grips: Scott

Front Brakes: Elixir 3
    Front disc: Shimano SLX
    Rear Brakes Elixir 3
    Rear disc: Shimano SLX

Shifters: Shimano SLX
    Cables: Shimano
    Front Mech: Shimano SLX
    Rear Mech: Shimano XT

Seat: Scott
    Seat Post: Scott
    Seat Post Clamp: Scott QR

Cranks: Shimano SLX
    Chainring(s): Shimano SLX
    Chain: Shimano SLX
    Cassette: Shimano SLX
    Pedals: Shimano M520
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano SLX

Front Wheel:
    Rim: Stans Crest
    Spokes: Sapim Race double butted
    Hub: Superstar EVO
    Tube: Cheng Shin
    Tire: Maxxis Ignitor

Back Wheel:
    Rim: Stans Crest
    Spokes: Sapim Race double butted
    Hub: Superstar EVO
    Tube: Cheng Shin
    Tire: Maxxis Ignitor

Weight: 11.77kgs
  • Nice looking bike, you've built yourself there.
    Are you sure that weight is correct? Hard tail, light fork and wheels...?
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • WindyG
    Cheers I'm happy with it, just about to take it out for a ride. The weight is correct a little heavier than I had hoped for, forks and wheels are light, 1650g for the wheels and 1470g for the forks, still some weight to be lost.
  • Must be a very heavy saddle and seat post because looking at the rest of the components there isn't anything that stands out as particularly heavy!
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • WindyG
    The saddle is actually quite heavy, and crap, Charge Spoon already on order :-)
    Been for a 20 mile ride through nearly all mud and it was great, forks very nice, had to make a few adjustments after it started slipping gears but I think this was just cables bedding in and easily sorted, need longer bars as the standard Scott ones are too narrow and didn't give me the control wanted just a personal thing that though. I also did fall off twice once clipping a tree and second one a bit bigger when I hit a post and I ended up proper on my back, I put this down to the narrow bars. I'll most likely go for the same parts as my Anthem, Easton carbon bars and seatpost, lighter tubes, I could also lose another 200g with different tyres. I also have some foam grips on order.

Pic of it a bit muddy:
    scottbuild5.JPG
  • WindyG
    A few updates to lower weight and improve the handling.
    The Scott seatpost was heavy at 430g, replaced with Truvativ Team Carbon post - 260g
    Scott seat was horrible, Charge spoon now fitted.
    Scott bars were heavy and too short, so as per my Anthem X - Easton EC70 Carbon bars with Ritchey WCS foam grips and Lizard Skins end caps fitted.
    To finish off I got some Schwalbe Rocket Ron's cheap, much lighter than the Maxxis Ignitors.

Weight is now down to 11.08kgs, pretty happy with it now, the saddle and bars making the biggest difference to the ride.

scottbars.JPG
    scottpost.JPG
    scott6.JPG
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Nice ride, Scott make good frames IMO.

I used to have a Reflex, which IIRC was the predecessor to the aspect. Handling was pretty sharp and comfy for long rides.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Good work...
  • WindyG
    Your right about the frame.
    I already had a Aspect 50 and I had planned to built a better spec bike for low cost as general winter bike and save the wear on my Anthem, got a few parts second hand plus bits I had lying around but I picked up this frame for £46 and knew it was a perfect frame for me I then got impatient and as sales were on started to hunt various parts from all over the place, I have managed to build these for well under what I would have paid for a brand new bike from a store plus I have enjoyed building it myself. I have kept it generally SLX for now and as parts wear out I'll upgrade them to XT.
  • WindyG
    Just a couple of simple updates, gone tubeless, and replaced both skewers, and got rid of the QR seatpost clamp, weight now down to 10.8kgs.