Colnago Master Sizing & Fit

Oxo
Oxo Posts: 144
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I've been given the green light for the purchase of my dream bike this year, a Colnago Master X-Light (30th Anniversary, Saronni red) which I'm going to spec and build myself. :D:D

Can anyone with experience of these bikes give me any advice on sizing please? The frames are available in 10mm increments so for once I have the chance of dialing the perfect fit for myself, something I've never quite managed to do so far, usually falling somewhere between a medium and a large.

My Kinesis Racelight 57 has a Top Tube C-C 56.8cm, 9cm stem and Deda Newton Shallow bars. I would say that even with the shortish stem, it's a fraction too big for me and I could do with a TT length about 1cm shorter.

The equivalent Colnago Master 58, has a Top Tube C-C of 56.5cm, so by my calculations I reckon the 55, with a Top Tube C-C 54.5cm would be spot on, allowing me to use a longer stem too, which I've heard is recommended on the Master.

Does this sound sensible, or should I be looking at an even smaller frame/longer stem combination?

Thanks

Ox
Sunday Best: 2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
Foul Weather: 2010 Kinesis Racelight T2
Commuter: 1958 Holdsworth Zephyr Fixed Gear

Comments

• I think the better size for you is the 57 according Colnago,a 55,5 dt x 55,7 tt center to center.
    I have this size with a 12cm stem.
    Bianchi campione del mondo/Cinelli supercorsa/Colnago eps/Colnago master xl/Colnago master xl/De Rosa professional slx/De Rosa slx/De rosa nuovo classico/Legend sella ronda/Pegoretti palosanto/Somec leader/Telavio/Telavio/Tommasini tecnoextra/Zullo tvm
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I agree with the 57, the 55 would be too small imo
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Give Mike Perry at Maestro a call, he's had 30+ years experience selling Colnagos, plus he's likely to be the cheapest. They do suit a shorter TT and longer stem to balance the lacker HTA. Allow for a layback seatpost too.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Oxo
    I think the better size for you is the 57 according Colnago,a 55,5 dt x 55,7 tt center to center.

Sante, Thanks for this. Out of interest, how tall are you?

Thanks for your advice everyone, appreciated - much research to do before I "pull the trigger", hopefully I'll find one I can sit on before then!

Cheers

Ox
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I am not going to argue with anything above but the Master doesn't come cheap.
    At that price you should try and find a dealer that you can visit. I proper dealer will do a fit an make sure you get the right size. If they try to fob you off or charge you then accept the advice given above.
    My tuppence worth.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • juggler
    juggler Posts: 262
    daviesee wrote:
    At that price you should try and find a dealer that you can visit. I proper dealer will do a fit an make sure you get the right size. If they try to fob you off or charge you then accept the advice given above.
    My tuppence worth.

Sorry, as per the advice above he needs to call Mike Perry....
  • Oxo
    juggler wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    My tuppence worth.

All advice digested and taken aboard. To be honest, It's a huge outlay for me too, so I need to make sure it's spot on. Will try Mike Perry as suggested, thanks. I've been to several dealers already, all of whom have advised different sizes and quoted me prices that are vastly different - and I'm not convinced that some of them have ever seen one in the flesh. This is where the experience of guys like yourselves can be very handy, as I can be forewarned and armed with the right questions :)

Thanks again for your help.
  • juggler
    juggler Posts: 262
    I think sizing a bike is a tricky thing, as you say Colnago go in 1cm increments, so you will get in a 'ball park' of maybe 3 or 4 sizes, rest depends on you... it's down to the individual. The funny thing with getting an 'expert' to measure you and all the expensive fit systems etc, I am not convinced they will come up with the same answer. Over the years I am sure that I have grown into my setup, it might not have been ideal at first but now is so comfortable.

I bought a bike from Mike, he is a nice guy, knows all about Colnagos, probably sells more than anyone else in the uk. You will probably have a longish wait for the Master though, so the other option is if you know the size of frame you want ring round in case there is one in stock somewhere.
  • daviesee
    juggler wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    My tuppence worth.

I am not disrespecting Mike but there is a difference between being sized and buying over the phone/internet.
    That is the point I was trying to make.
  • Oxo wrote:
    I think the better size for you is the 57 according Colnago,a 55,5 dt x 55,7 tt center to center.

Sante, Thanks for this. Out of interest, how tall are you?

Thanks for your advice everyone, appreciated - much research to do before I "pull the trigger", hopefully I'll find one I can sit on before then!

Cheers

Ox
    I'm 1,82 m tall,and this is my 2010 master.
    Bianchi campione del mondo/Cinelli supercorsa/Colnago eps/Colnago master xl/Colnago master xl/De Rosa professional slx/De Rosa slx/De rosa nuovo classico/Legend sella ronda/Pegoretti palosanto/Somec leader/Telavio/Telavio/Tommasini tecnoextra/Zullo tvm
  • Oxo
    Ah, a familiar bike from the Retrobike forum Sante! Lovely it is too.

Thanks for the advice above to contact Mike Perry at Maestro-UK. Just had a very productive conversation with him, and will be popping down South to see him in the next few weeks to be measured/fitted and hopefully stroke a few Colnagos :)

Cheers

Ox
  • daviesee
    This is going to sound ridiculous but I am really serious.

See Mike as soon as possible.
    If no one happens to have one on the shelf in your size then the wait is usually 4 months +.
    If it is not finished before the Italians go on holiday in July, don't expect to see it until September. :shock:
    I ordered mine in early May 2008 and it still wasn't ready at the end of August. Fortunately Windwave offered their display model as it was the right size so I actually got to go out on it that year before Autumn set in.
  • daviesee wrote:
    This is going to sound ridiculous but I am really serious.

See Mike as soon as possible.
    If no one happens to have one on the shelf in your size then the wait is usually 4 months +.
    If it is not finished before the Italians go on holiday in July, don't expect to see it until September. :shock:
    I ordered mine in early May 2008 and it still wasn't ready at the end of August. Fortunately Windwave offered their display model as it was the right size so I actually got to go out on it that year before Autumn set in.

What he said.

I was going to bite the bullet and stick my name on the lengthy waiting list, then a chap put a fully loaded 12 month old Saronni red frame up on eBay (total madness) and I managed to bag it for an amazing price (yet more madness).
  • What size did you go for?

E bay can be a great place to buy. As was stated earlier, Colnago's come in so many sizes it is possible to make several sizes 'fit'. I used to have a C40 in a 60, but then decided I didn't want the spacers under the stem, so bought a 62 on E-bay. I then sold the 60 - very little money to change. Both fitted perfectly well.

Are you going to build it up to have different contact points (pedals, seat, bars) than your current bike? (You mentioned it was a little large for you.)

Any chance of gratuitous pictures?

Enjoy,

David
  • Oxo
    Thanks for your help everyone.....it's on order :D:D

Got measured up properly, compared a few frames for bikes that fit me perfectly and found that a 55 is spot on. 30th Anniversary Red "Art Deco" AD11 on it's way (eventually) - naturally, gratuitous pictures will be posted when she arrives.

Thinking of Athena 11 (polished silver) gruppo, VO Stem, Cinelli Giro D'Italia Bars (with VO Stem) & Regal saddle (props to TheGreatDivide!). Managed to source a pair of my favourite Ambrosio Excellight SSC rims in silver this week, so just need to sort hubs (Zenith?)

In the mean time, found this posted on Youtube....drool! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnidcY75KGE

Cheers

Ox
  • Oxo wrote:
    Thanks for your help everyone.....it's on order :D:D

Got measured up properly, compared a few frames for bikes that fit me perfectly and found that a 55 is spot on. 30th Anniversary Red "Art Deco" AD11 on it's way (eventually) - naturally, gratuitous pictures will be posted when she arrives.

Thinking of Athena 11 (polished silver) gruppo, VO Stem, Cinelli Giro D'Italia Bars (with VO Stem) & Regal saddle (props to TheGreatDivide!). Managed to source a pair of my favourite Ambrosio Excellight SSC rims in silver this week, so just need to sort hubs (Zenith?)

In the mean time, found this posted on Youtube....drool! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnidcY75KGE

Cheers

Ox

A wise choice sir :lol:

I bet she'll look feckin ace when built up!

Can't wait for the good weather so I can take mine back out on the road. That reminds me, must giver her a wee monthly dust...
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    How tall are you out of interest?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Got my eye on a nice used Colnago Master.

I am 5ft 7ins tall, 1.72 meters, and my inside leg measurement is 81cm self measured.

Might the 53cm frame be a tad small or could I just put the saddle a bit higher?
  • I'm 173cm, have a 79cm inseam and ride a 53 Master. The traditional top tube means not much seatpost showingfor me.

I'm thinking of selling mine btw ;-)
  • I'm 173cm, have a 79cm inseam and ride a 53 Master. The traditional top tube means not much seatpost showingfor me.

Is it the one on your ‘Fleet’ post from 2010?

Can I trouble you for the measurement of the gap between front tip of saddle and the handlebars and from the centre of BB to the top of the saddle? Thank you.

What condition is it in now?

How much?

Ah, just notice that that one is a 52cm frame.
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    Slightly off topic but I saw a guy riding one of these in the pouring rain today.

Never seen one before so that's a first and chapeau for riding the bloody thing in that rain!

Is it the one on your ‘Fleet’ post from 2010?

Can I trouble you for the measurement of the gap between front tip of saddle and the handlebars and from the centre of BB to the top of the saddle? Thank you.

What condition is it in now?

How much?

Ah, just notice that that one is a 52cm frame.

Yeah sorry I should have said the virtual TT is 53cm on a 52 frame. Either way it fits me fine.

Photos were taken this spring not 2010. It's in very shiny condition.