Forks: 1-1/2" crown, supplied with frame
[Bars: Deda chaepo compact] REPLACED
[Stem: ITM Triango carbon wrap] REPLACED
Bars & Stem No-brand Carbon integrated 110 x 420 aero compact
Headset: Campag Record top race & cap, supplied 1-1/2" bottom race
Bar Tape: Deda
Computer: BBB MicroBoard

Front Ergo Lever: Campag Super Record
Front Caliper: Campag Record Titanium (so same as current Super Record)
Rear Ergo Lever: Campag Super Record
Campag 11s RTC bar-end lever to change rear mech (can only use left arm)
Rear Caliper: Campag Record Titanium single pivot

Cables: Campag ErgoPower
Front Mech: Campag Super Record 11s
Rear Mech: Campag Super Record 11s

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Titanium
Seat Post: supplied with frame
Seat Post Clamp: supplied with frame

Cranks: Campag Super Record Titanium 175mm 34/50
Chain: Campag Record 11s
[Cassette: Campag Chorus 12-29] REPLACED
Cassette: Campag Super Record 12-27
Pedals: Campag Record Titanium
Bottom Bracket: Campag Ultra-Torque Titanium / Campag Record outboard cups (for the colour contrast ;0)

Wheels:
Rims: Carbon 20mm pressures
Spokes: Sapim CX-Ray
Hubs: Pro-Lite after-market 20/24 h
Tyres: Tufo Tubular Clinchers S33

Weight: was 7.2 kg (Now 7.1 kg)

FM3155-Smaller_zps19b5894a.jpg

After first ride

FM3151-Smaller_zps4dfcf472.jpg

1-1/2" Headset

FM3152-Smaller_zps99e92ce6.jpg

Internal cable routing

FM3153-Smaller_zps963bec53.jpg

Internal cable routing

FM315-2-7-Smaller_zpsed105009.jpg

Well, it started off like this: viewtopic.php?t=12834660
But although it was amazingly stiff, yet comfortable at the same time, the Cervélo RS just wasn't right for me: the head tube was too tall (just couldn't get the bars low enough) and the wheelbase was too long for me; I really wanted something a little tighter and racier. I think I've ridden the Cervélo about five times in total. Anyway, I took a punt on the new frame on eBay. With delivery and taxes it came to about 480 quid. It would have cost £350 without the import duty. Bastards.

Took the new build out this morning and it just felt great: really zippy and responsive and it climbs like buggery (although my legs were pretty tired after last night's track session).

I'm really pleased with the 1-1/2" headset and the internal cable routing. It's proper internal routing, as well: you don't need to feed outers all the way through the frame. One thing puzzling me: there's an open hole just fore of the front derailleur cable entry point and another one just aft of the rear derailleur cable exit point. Same hole fore of front derailleur entry point, too. Is that a Di2 thing?

FM315-2-2-Smaller_zps6ce79dfa.jpg

The updated build: May need to tweak the position of the Ergo levers upwards…

FM315-2-4-Smallrt_zpse07c4b02.jpg

Integrated bar and stem – 1

FM315-2-5-Smaller_zps2f457a53.jpg

Integrated bar and stem – 2

FM315-2-7-Smaller_zpsed105009.jpg

New Super Record rear cassette

UPDATE: Bit the bullet and bought a Campagnolo Super Record 12-27 rear cassette. It was a good price (£195 versus £349 list).Then I spotted the integrated bars and stem on eBay and had to have them: they cost £70 delivered. I didn't even have to pay import duty!!! I bought a pair for my track bike as well… :D Shaved about 100g in total off the weight with the two updates. Still haven't ridden the effing thing cause of the cold and wind... should have got it a bit cleaner, too before photos... :oops:

Comments

• Very nice indeed. Like the frame especially, and cheap too (and you can feel wholesome that you paid your VAT!)

What is the rusty pile of junk under the handlebar all about?!
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    Looks like a cable splitter, so one brake lever works both brakes. Or I'd install it so one brake lever works the front brake, and rear mech:-)
  • Yeah, cable splitter... one lever operates both brakes. Rusty, because they're getting harder to source. Must try the one from JTek engineering (expensive, though :shock: )
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Love the ingenuity, great build
  • timdanaher
    timdanaher Posts: 120
    UPDATED!!!
  • hi, bit of a thread resurrection but I'm looking at one of these frames but the aero seatpost is giving me some concern as there seem to be no standard sizes and if the post breaks It'll be hard to find a replacement, any comments?
    pain is temporary,glory is forever
  • Order a spare at the same time! I'd drop them a line as well, they were very helpful when I dealt with them. Best of Luck!
  • i did drop them an email, not sure they quite grasped what i was asking given the reply!

is yours still running? i do like the more compact design of this frame
    pain is temporary,glory is forever
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Looks really functional but handsome as well.

If you've found a frame that's quicker-handling, lighter, stiffer than the R5 I'm very interested.

I see you're all set up for left sided operation, may I ask, are you a disabled athlete?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    RS, not r5!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Looks really functional but handsome as well.

If you've found a frame that's quicker-handling, lighter, stiffer than the R5 I'm very interested.

I see you're all set up for left sided operation, may I ask, are you a disabled athlete?

Yep, although I'm not sure bout the 'athlete' bit! I've had a run of illness and injury lately and saw me going from the best form of my life to practically zero.

I've actually had to go back to Record 10 speed Ergopower levers, shifting the rear derailleur using a bar-end lever was a pain in the arse. The pre-2009 Record front derailleur ErgoPower shifts the 11 speed cassette just fine. I did like the feel of the new hoods, though… :cry:

I wouldn't say that this frame is better than the RS in every department, but it suits me better.
  • rOcKeTdOg wrote:
    i did drop them an email, not sure they quite grasped what i was asking given the reply!

is yours still running? i do like the more compact design of this frame

Yes, still running, although I haven't been out on it much, to be honest… but everytime I do take it out, I'm absolutely delighted with it… :D

Also, I weighed this on a more-accurate digital scale at my LBS and its bang on 7.0 kg!
  • I just ordered a new spare seat post from them... $40!!!
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    You know what they say abot Cheapo Chinese Carbon / Super Record Build...

no, I don't either