Is it normal to have a sore ass after a 2 month off ?

nmt
nmt Posts: 88
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Ok so i bought my first road bike at the back end of october to get some miles in and improve my fitness / lose weight, I started riding my MTB a month before at the back end of September, My first ride on the mtb was a hilly 1.5 mile and i was knackered but i just kept going out each night after work increasing my distance till i was upto 11 mile then my newly ordered 2013 road bike arrived at the shop i collected it at the end of October and went out for my first ride on a Saturday afternoon a flat loop managing 23 mile on my first ride (with no sore ass) i only managed to get out a further twice after the first ride doing a 22 mile ride and a 26 mile ride but then i had to go into hospital at the begining of December for an operation on my achillies tendon and 2 other tendons in my foot, I had a cast on for 6 week then an air cast for 3 week which i came out of last friday so i've been trying to get some time in on the turbo but i'm finding MY ASS HURTS LIKE HELL after only 15-20 mins is this normal after not being in the saddle for a couple of month :?:

Comments

• Yes
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Ive only ridden my bike twice since September and both times i had a sore ass the following day.

I put it down as punishment for not getting out more. :)
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • nmt
    Ah good to know. I never had any uncomfort on 20 odd mile first time rides albeit after slowly building up on the mtb but was surprised to be getting uncomfortable after 20 mins on the turbo.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Yes

My experience is that there is two aspects to a sore ass

1. is just hardening up your posterior

2. is having the right/wrong saddle
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    When I have been off my bike for a few weeks I find that the first time out again I am fine, but when I then go out the next day, it feels like a dry stone waller has built my saddle. Within a minute or so my discomfort eases though.
  • Yes its perfectly natural.

The first couple of times i do a 40 miler after a layoff i feel like ive been butt raped by Gok Wan with a chilli infused 12" black mamba from Ann Summers.

Soon passes though :D
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Yeah, bum hurts for a couple of rides, but it goes quicker if you've ridden before (like, a few months ago).

I had a week where my sit bones felt a little tender, then i did 80mi where my bum felt fine.
  • GSJ
    GSJ Posts: 150
    I went on a ride the other day with about a month off, and my ass was sore, only lasted for a day though.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    The lesson here is not to take any time off
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:

Or if you do take your saddle with you to keep you used to sitting on it, though you might look a bit weird on public transport
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • nmt
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

Haven't had much choice had an op on 3 tendons in my foot and been in pot for 2 month just trying to get back into riding now but struggling to unclip on the foot i had the op on :shock:
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    Yes

My experience is that there is two aspects to a sore ass

1. is just hardening up your posterior

2. is having the right/wrong saddle

A third part of it is strength, you'll have lost some over the two months.

The stronger you are, the less pressure you are putting on the saddle (you are, in effect, lifting yourself slightly off the saddle when you are pedalling harder).

There's a little bit of truth in hardening up your behind - but I think most troubles are down to fit and hygiene.

15-20 minutes is not a long time at all though - but turbos can be quite hard on the bum anyway, you are often very sweaty and getting out of the saddle isn't as natural as on a regular ride.