first ride on a road bike today

lancenewman1
lancenewman1 Posts: 36
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
lasted... 1.9 miles, i'm ashamed to say.

aside from the fact i felt like i was going to fall off the thing at a moments notice, it was the wind and the cold that was killing me.

i certainly feel more comfortable on the hoods, and i'm not sure about the sizing (it SHOULD be fine... but i felt more stretched out than i've ever done on a bike)

the cold air hitting my lungs though was a killer... i'm going to keep at it, but maybe when it's a tad warmer!

and as for the wind, i don't mind the bite of it, it's when it's knocking me out into the road that scared the living **** out of me.

i'm not giving up though... i spent the end of last summer really enjoying myself on a bike... now i just need to get the confidence on this one!

Comments

• i fully realise i'm breaking rule 5.

but i'm going to harden the **** up... :)
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I haven't ventured out in the rain and wind yet. I just feel that the speed if modern bikes is something that has changed massively since I was a kid and until I learn how to ride properly there is simply too many things to fry my mind before I get to the stage of being brave enough to tackle bad weather.
    As for high wind, I wouldn't consider it, it's just too dangerous !

For your info though, I rode the mountain bike last October as I decided to get a bike but it was on order and rode 3 miles to the local village and back (3m total not each way) and felt like I was going to die.
    Now my bike is here I am doing around 20km a day which although u a struggle, I'm sure I'm getting better and fitter.
    Good luck though, it won't be long before your doing 40k without breaking sweat.
    Living MY dream.
  • I bought one of those padded safety reflective coats that you see road workers and the like wearing. It cost me about £15 from a big trade/DIY plumbing etc. store.

It's seriously warm. I had to buy another unlined one because the padded coat was so warm that I can't wear it zipped up and ride except if it's very cold out, or I'll overheat and start sweating. There were times when I was riding through the snow with the front zip open to get a good temperature balance and not overheat.

It might help if you're feeling cold. But it won't stop the wind blowing you around of course.

Edit: I should mention that I wear long underwear/base layers permanently during the winter. With regards to my orange coat, YMMV if you aren't wearing a base layer.
  • I'm not giving up though... i spent the end of last summer really enjoying myself on a bike... now i just need to get the confidence on this one!
    It does come. My first ride on a road bike was last October, and I was scared to go down hills in the drops until about a month ago.

The freezing wind is a bit of a barrier, but just force yourself out through the door - once you get going it's easier, and the more you do, the more you'll be able to do.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    I'd wait until winter is over to start riding if I hadn't ridden before.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    VTech wrote:
    I haven't ventured out in the rain and wind yet. I just feel that the speed if modern bikes is something that has changed massively since I was a kid and until I learn how to ride properly there is simply too many things to fry my mind before I get to the stage of being brave enough to tackle bad weather.
    As for high wind, I wouldn't consider it, it's just too dangerous !

Actually you "should" feel more stable on the road then your MTB. One of the characteristics that makes an MTB an MTB is a higher BB. Obviously this gives you a lot more clearance for your chain ring when it gets rough. But it also pushes your saddle height up a lot relative to the ground (not the pedals of course).

So on a MTB you are going to be a couple of inches higher up into the wind, with a higher center of gravity. And yes, while road bikes have the potential to go faster, you just have to pedal slightly easier to control your speed.

I'm not sure what's frying your mind - it's as easy as riding a bike :) At first just find a nice middle gear, turn the pedals and watch out for the cars. build up to everything else gradually.

To the OP - when it's cold layer up - it helps a lot. But do get comfortable with your bike handling skills before tackling gusty conditions.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I think maybe for me, I just need to get used to cycling on the road.
    I rode last week and there is a lot to think about. I'm sure in time ill get used to it.
    Living MY dream.
  • The cold itself wasn't a problem, I had leg warmers, shorts, a jersey, a wind jacket, winter gloves... So my body was fine

But my lungs when taking in that air! It was so cold it as hurting to breathe
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    I started riding in the winter. There was nothing wrong with it. Cold it was, but why should that stop you, as long as you're sensible. Your body will eventually adjust to it.

It helps to set you up for the mental challenges which you'll be going through as you progress.
  • I started four and a half years ago in late Oct - did about 500 yards and thought I was going to die!!! Just did a very nice 41 miles today at 15.5 mph ( which is very respectable for me as I am old an fat and have dodgy knees and back!) - the point is .... believe me if I can do it anyone can - stick at it and build it up gradually within what your body can copy with. When I started twice a week seemed like a big deal and I remember every target I reached - 3, 5 7 and the 10 miles etc etc !
  • Riggsy12
    Riggsy12 Posts: 156
    Keep at it dont let ANYTHING dishearten you! Soon everything will become more natural and you will start to enjoy :)
  • A KIRK
    A KIRK Posts: 64
    Your get there keep at it, I did my first road rid on my me road bike, first time I've owned a road bike, just did a little run up and over Box hill to fettle the bike, managed 9 miles, then went out on the hardtail for a little off reading so did another 10 miles.

I now feel shattered, as the cold wind and rain certainly takes it out of you.

Just think as soon as the nicer weather comes it will be a lot more enjoyable.

Good luck and look at every ride as an achievement.
    2010 GT Series 4 ultegra wheels & brakes
    2008 Claud Butler hard tail not very original any more
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    I'd wait until winter is over to start riding if I hadn't ridden before.

I can't even tell if this is meant to be facetious or not

But really, OP you need to harden the F**k up. It's only a bit of wind and rain, normal weather for the UK. Get some waterproof overshoes, decent gloves and a jacket. Pick a 10 mile route and go for a ride.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    i certainly feel more comfortable on the hoods, and i'm not sure about the sizing (it SHOULD be fine... but i felt more stretched out than i've ever done on a bike)

the cold air hitting my lungs though was a killer... i'm going to keep at it, but maybe when it's a tad warmer!

and as for the wind, i don't mind the bite of it, it's when it's knocking me out into the road that scared the living **** out of me.
    Most of us will spend 80% of their time on the hoods, but the position will feel more stretched out as you are more leaned-forward than on other bikes.

So the air is cold, bah! Softshell jacket, full-finger gloves, Rule no.5, get on with it. :wink: I have really enjoyed commuting in winter, even when it was -5C. As long as you wear something to keep the wind out, it's no problem at all. Besides, if you start when it's cold and get used to it, summer will feel amazing, then when winter rolls round you go back to "normal". The only thing that will stop me is ice, even Rule no.5 can't sort that one.

High gusting winds aren't much fun though I agree with you there.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • caad5
    caad5 Posts: 76
    love the rule 5 reference :!: