Setting up Rockshox Revelation - manual? Something?

booktownman
booktownman Posts: 151
edited April 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Got a pair of revs in the CRC sale. I was expecting something in the box telling me what the knobs do, how to adjust internally adjust travel etc., but nothing. Visited the SRAM site and could only find service manuals.

Am I looking in the wrong place? Can anyone help?

Cheers in advance,

BTM

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    read the info on Srams webby. it tells you what everything is and does.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • minley1
    minley1 Posts: 126
    I found the same with my 2013 SID RCT3, SRAMS Site does tell you about the features, but no great detail as to how to make adjustments, glad it's not just me!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It really is adjust as you see fit, experiment.
  • My revs have a table on one of the fork legs with suggestions for pressure depending on your weight, but you probably would have noticed that if it was there on yours...
    Specialized Hardrock 06
    On One 456 Summer Season 2010 neon orange!

“…get it in your head, then there’s nothing else important for the next couple of hours than getting that particular line done…” – Danny MacAskill
  • supersonic
    The tables are a bit off, best to go on SAG. Actually I think we have a guide in the tech FAQ.
  • There is a guide which is a link to SRAM's Rock Shox manual PDF. It's a step by step guide and is quite easy to do with some help from a mate when setting the sag. However, I did the pressure set up based on the chart on the side of the fork and with my weight around 13-14stones it recommended a lot of psi - should I reduce the amount if the chart is a bit over the top?

Paul
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • supersonic
    Whatever PSI for the sag you desire - is often a lot less than RS think!
  • Thanks all, I did track down a SRAM dual air tuning manual on an external link somewhere. If anyone wants it I'll upload to one of the filesharing sites and post a link in this thread.

Still haven't found anything though that tells you how to do the internal travel adjustment.

I'm a bit Rock-Shoxed to be honest at the lack of - full price on the forks is £600, I think it's fair to expect a proper manual for that dough.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well it might help if youn tell us which of the many Revs you have.

and Dual air set up info can be found in the FAQs above.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Still haven't found anything though that tells you how to do the internal travel adjustment.

It's all in the service manual available on SRAM's service website (generally if there's not one for your specific year of fork then take the nearest previous one). This one should do you for a dual-air Rev: http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/AI2eab6UCQXF2oI6WYGjmfGn2AKwj8ORWSnDla3YG14/mtime:1301946040/sites/default/files/techdocs/2011-revelation-technical-manual.pdf
  • Thanks all.
  • I'm having a similar problem.

The fork I have is: Revelation RCT3 130mm travel for 27.5 wheels.

Can't find an instruction manual for it or any related fork anywhere.

The SRAM page for the fork seems to be:
    https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/ ... t3#service

But there's no user manual. Tehre is a _service_ manual, and manuals for the axle etc. but nothing that says how to actually use the fork.

The fork itslef has a chart stamped for sag, and I know what the rebound damping adjuster does in theory, but at the top of the right forl leg there's a three position blue dial and a smaller dial within it labelled low speed compression damping.

What do those two dials do and how do they interact?

(The lock position definitely doesn't lock the fork).
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It's not a lock, it fully closes the compression damper to isolate pedal forces and reduce bobbing. I found its best just always left fully open, it's a very crude damper. Rebound is the red knob on the bottom of the fork.
    Travel adjustment involves changing the air shaft for one of the required length.
    The manual is on the Rockshox website. I found one for mine last year and this year's is the same fork.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The small low speed dial sets the opening point for the low speed damper, A manual that Scott used to supply gives a good way of initially setting it up and it is this.
    Find a square edged step up that is about half the suspension travel (a kerb is great if its at the right height), set the low speed fully open (off) and ride up the kerb at a moderate speed just allowing the suspension to take the impact (don't lift the wheel), progressively set the low speed higher until you notice a change in the response (low speed isn't opening when you hit the kerb) and its harsher and adjust back so it's just opening.

You still need to fine tune on the trail, but as a good starting position I find this works very well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.