Handlebar changes

marcusww
marcusww Posts: 202
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Got a 2012 spesh roubaix comp. done 400 miles and am loving it. Looking for some deeper handlebars as I feel I can go lower on the drops.
Can you re use handle bar tape if existing is not worn?
Where do they measure from on the widths as am broad shouldered and have been recommended 44cm
The reach on the hoods is good, where do they measure the reach from and to?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,142
    you may be able to get the extra drop by removing any spacers and/or using a stem with extra drop, cheaper and less hassle

otherwise...

yes, you can re-use tape, some types may not come off cleanly though

width specification depends on the manufacturer, most are centre to centre, but deda, for instance, uses outside to outside

for reach you need to look at the geometry for the bar(s) you're considering, factor in your preference for hood position, then select the appropriate stem length to get the overall reach you want

unless you've already done so, i'd check overall setup before commiting to drop the bars, i.e. make 100% sure saddle height, setback and angle are correct
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Many deeper bars also have a longer reach too, effectively putting the levers further away. i'd suggest looking at your stem spacers first. FWIW getting your forearms flat whilst on the hoods is actually more aero than straight arms to the drops.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Your Roubaix will have the Spesh stem system (AFAIK they all do OEM at least all Sectuers and Roubaixs) which includes a wedged spacer which means you can get different angles - and hence bigger/smaller height drop bars to saddle - very easily by altering the stem - something like this

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... stem-31001

if you are not confident doing it yourself its a simple job (way easier and cheaper than changing the bars) that the place that sold you your bike should do free.
  • marcusww
    marcusww Posts: 202
    All good advice thanks but the position of the hoods height and reach are good. Just wondered if I can get bars with the same hood position but lower drops?
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    On the tape, I found out yesterday that my bike shop made a bit of a mess of mine. It all came off well apart from the last couple of twists that appeared to have been superglued on! :shock:

I still need to scrape the residue off before I put some new tape on.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,142
    Marcusww wrote:
    All good advice thanks but the position of the hoods height and reach are good. Just wondered if I can get bars with the same hood position but lower drops?

as monty says above, the arms horizontal position can be better than on the drops

not using deep drops means there's less difference in body position between on the drops and arms on the horizontal, so as long as you can get into a good position with the latter, it can be better

fwiw i've tried bars with deep drops, but it was annoying to have such a difference, i found it better to drop the overall bar height and stick with normal drop bars

of course thats' just me, for you it may be that deep drops are the better option, i'm just suggesting considering alternatives before you commit the dosh!

i suspect that the current bars are these...

http://www.specialized.co.uk/us/en/ftb/ ... -handlebar

...which are 123mm drop x 75mm reach

so you can look for bars with similar reach but more drop, but usually deeper drops will also have more reach
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny