No really, it is tennis elbow...

chrisaonabike
chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
edited February 2013 in The cake stop
... well I think it is, anyway. I've been to a physio, who says it is, and as well as the general pain, I also have an extremely painful spot just where the tendon goes over the bony bit on my elbow.

Had it about 6 weeks now, it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

It's worst when I get out of bed in the morning. Eases off a bit during the day, I seem to be able to get to mid afternoon before I have to take the edge off the pain with some ibuprofen.

Strangely, it doesn't hurt at all when I'm riding.
Is the gorilla tired yet?

Comments

• You really need to establish if its a true tennis elbow = strained lateral ligaments and/or long extensor muscles - or pure extensor muscle strain - or radicular neck pain (more likely if its both elbows). Once you know that treatment is relativley simple - but - eccentric stretches and ice will settle it if acute (but won't make a dent if its radicular from neck though).
    Only the right elbow.

How do I tell the difference between the other stuff?
  • Most likely is elbow then - if its neck then neck movements should reproduce your sysmptoms in the absence of elbow hand movements.

Flex your wrist as far as it will comfortably go with the affected elbow bent (bend your wrist so your fingers move towards the palm of your hand) - hold your hand there with your other hand and slowly and gently extend (straighten your elbow) - what happens?
  • Assuming that reproduced your symptoms and your now writhing about in agony cursing me - these are good

http://www.hughston.com/hha/a.seven.htm

and I have know patients swear by these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005JG4876/? ... B005JG4876

Personally I have had good success with patients using acupunture and exercises of the type above.

Deep transverse frictions can work but you need someone to show and teach you how to do them.

If you can find a Cyriax trained Physio they can do a Mill's manipulation which is also supposed to be very good.

Your GP may offer you a steroid injection but personally I am not a fan unless all else has failed - but that's just me I am an old hippy type at heart when it comes to medical drugs.
  • Most likely is elbow then - if its neck then neck movements should reproduce your sysmptoms in the absence of elbow hand movements.
    No, moving my neck around is fine.
    Flex your wrist as far as it will comfortably go with the affected elbow bent (bend your wrist so your fingers move towards the palm of your hand) - hold your hand there with your other hand and slowly and gently extend (straighten your elbow) - what happens?
    Not much if there's no resistance, but if I have to extend the arm, pulling against even slight resistance, ow, ow, ow, owwwwwww.

Quite acute, it feels mostly localised to what I think is the brachioradialis (google is my friend) area, ie the big muscle that's on top, just closer to the hand than the elbow, if I sit as if I was playing a piano.

I'll try those links, thanks.
  • Sound like tennis elbow - its clasically a muscle called extensor carpi radialis thats the main culprit and/or tendons but general strains in that area get lumped in under that diagnosis and brachio fits the bill too. Its very treatable so don't despair but it can take a while - stick in there.

If you know its brachio then focus the eccentric strengthening and stretching on it and you should get a good response. If you imagine a scale of 0 being no pain and 10 worst pain imaginable never work or stretch to beyond six. Bring it to the point of stretch slowly and hold for at least one minute (preferably two) with no movement at all and no increase beyond six on that scale and then gently release. Do three set three times a day - if it gets worse decrease and try ice applied for 20 minutes every couple of hours to settle it (don't stretch with/close to when the ice has been on the muscle will tear rather than stretch!) - if it improves with the stretching add in the strengthening.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Strangely, it doesn't hurt at all when I'm riding.

Well, we all know the solution to that then don't we? :lol:

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.