29er Full Suspension -what one!

29addict
29addict Posts: 9
edited April 2013 in MTB general
Time for me to swap out my 29er hardtail and buy a fully...
Narrowed it down not by much to the following

Ibis Ripley (if it ever becomes available!)
Yeti SB95
Intense Spider
Intense Spider Comp ( if I find one at a good price)
Pyga oneten29
Felt Edict 9
Mondraker Factor RR

opinions please peeps... oh and no I don't want 26" wheels and I don't want 650b either!

:D

Comments

• Transition Bandit 29.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • no no no no no no.... took me long enough to get the list to where it is! don't need to add anymore to it!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have to test at them prices.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Obviously the new Orange 29er thingy.
    EOT.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    supersonic wrote:
    Have to test at them prices.
    I'd like to be even be able to see any of them!

Where are you based OP?

I've not seen any of those bikes in dealers that sell those brands.
    My opinion if money no object would be the Yeti, purely on looks. :wink:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    no trance x 29er 1 in the mix ? 2 grand and had pretty good reviews, light and decent spec.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • have seen some at shows etc, but don't know where'd i'd find some demos, been told felt might be an option for a demo but I am leaning towards the yeti- no trance, don't want a complete and don't like giant!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    cooldad wrote:
    EOT.

Good call. Great value and a thing of beauty.
  • Gary Fisher (sorry Trek :roll: ) Rumblefish

Santa Cruz Tallboy

Titus el guapo 29er
  • The Orange - as with all Orange bikes before the front triangle is great but the swing arm not so much! I like chainstays on my bike for some reason...
    Don't think I could buy a trek (won't be long they killed the klein name)
    Tallboy - I do like that..
    Titus is unknown to me...
    Also there's the niner r.i.p. ...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:
    EOT.

Good call. Great value and a thing of beauty.
    Yup everyone should just sell their foreign dreck and all buy patriotic Oranges.
    God save the queenie.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Polf
    Polf Posts: 64
    Cant speak for the others, but I have the SB95 and cant say a bad thing about it. It is fast beyond belief on the trails and it leaves my more experienced 26 riding friends for dead. I am by no means the fastest rider but the bike has inspiref more confidence in my riding than I could have ever imagined. Despite being 17 stone, I have never bottomed out the suspension and the switch syspension thingy, (i dont fully understand it), seems to do what it is meant to. Of course, I can only speak for this bike and not the others. The only down side is that for te price,
    you Dont get a dropper post which is essential. And it is a very sexy looking bike compared to the others IMO.
    Yeti SB95
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275
    On One 456C

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, does not try it on"
  • how does it pedal? I enter a fair few enduro/xc races and with something like that I'd be down to just the one bike, and I'd be building it myself so dropper post although having never used one or felt the need for one wouldn't be an issue I can just include that in the build list...
  • Polf
    Polf Posts: 64
    I haven't noticed any pedal bob at all when climbing. Im not a racer so havent really tried powering up hills whilst standing. The pro pedal seems to work when climbing lung busters on the granny ring. Its that switch suspension thingy again that I dont fully understand. The bloke in my LBS did explain it. All I can say is that it works well for me and climbs brilliantly on the trails at a leisurely pace. All of the reviews on it applaud its climbing and pedalling ability.
    Yeti SB95
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275
    On One 456C

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, does not try it on"
  • Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Yeah I have seen that in reviews- I'm just always a bit wary of reviews as you don't know how much of a bribe they've had! always nice to hear from someone who actually rides one... so it's another step toward a yeti
  • 29addict wrote:
    Yeah I have seen that in reviews- I'm just always a bit wary of reviews as you don't know how much of a bribe they've had! always nice to hear from someone who actually rides one... so it's another step toward a yeti

I own and ride a Bandit 26, I switched from Yeti (ASR).

I have ridden the Bandit 29, it's the only 29 I'd think of switching from 26 to, that's despite also riding a fair number, including the Scott Spark which is also very highly regarded (and I liked).
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Switch suspension is just marketing gumph for a system that reduces anti squat and tailors the suspension rate through the travel. Maestro, DW and a load of others do very similar things, the eccentric bearing is could be repalced by a simple link, it does the same job.
  • 29addict wrote:
    Yeah I have seen that in reviews- I'm just always a bit wary of reviews as you don't know how much of a bribe they've had! always nice to hear from someone who actually rides one... so it's another step toward a yeti

I have ridden the Bandit 29, it's the only 29 I'd think of switching from 26 to, that's despite also riding a fair number, including the Scott Spark which is also very highly regarded (and I liked).

was trying soo hard to ignore the transition! too many options as it is.. but I am going to look into it now - prefer the look of the Yeti though... Someone just mentioned the Turner Sultan which I don't know about- similar issue with appearance as the Orange but I don't find it quite as offensive but the bike does look a bit heavy...
  • They're a brand that's snuck along under the radar quite nicely until BR gave the 26 Bandit their "Connoisseurs Choice" and Roo at IMB got all excited about his Covert and then the Bandit 29.

I couldn't really give a fuck what you buy and if you go elsewhere then there'll be less of them around so I'll still be fairly exclusive.

I do still love Yetis though (haven't sold the ASR, just moved on to the Bandit) so know where you're coming from.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • just ruled transition out as found out who the nearest dealer was and I'm not buying a bike from them! Was looking at the Kona Satori last night and am giving that some serious consideration - I'm on the King Kahuna atm and rate it very very highly wouldn't sell it if my back was in better shape -the Satori has a longer fork than I was looking at and although I didn't want to buy complete the build is pretty damn good and for the money it is in comparison to the frames I've been looking at I'd have room to chop and change within my budget - anyone ridden one? seen one?
  • You seem to have forgotten about the Pyga. Here's a review:
    http://bikemagic.com/gear/pyga-oneten.html
    Trust me, no bribes here. We can't afford them. Just an awesome bike. You'll struggle to find one in the Uk as there are currently only 2. Our first drop arrives in around a week. If you go to Singletrack world and find Frankers, he has the only one other than our demo bike. There will also be a test on here (Bikeradar) and MBUK soon too. We do have a demo bike but it is with magazines at the moment. Get in touch with me if you like. http://www.r53sport.com/ and ask for Craig.
  • 29addict wrote:
    29addict wrote:

was trying soo hard to ignore the transition! too many options as it is.. but I am going to look into it now - prefer the look of the Yeti though... Someone just mentioned the Turner Sultan which I don't know about- similar issue with appearance as the Orange but I don't find it quite as offensive but the bike does look a bit heavy...

That Bandit 29er is hard to ignore:)

We've got a demo build kit 1 for you to try if you're interested.

We should be able to get you the Felt Edict 29 to try out as well.
  • One of the lads I ride with has just built up a Santa Cruz Tallboy - it's made an amazing difference to his riding, round Llandegla on sections where I'd drop him previously on his hardtail he's now almost out of sight, the bikes just awesomely fast. He's carrying so much more speed everywhere its untrue.

If I wasn't a total shortarse I'd be saving like mad for one as well. :roll:
    http:\\www.thedecliningcyclist.wordpress.com
    One mans battle with mediocrity and his declining physical powers.........
  • spodomodo
    spodomodo Posts: 48
    I've had my SC Tallboy LTc for less than a week. It's an amazing bike fast and nimble.Height mightn't be an issue for you I'm 5'10" and the large is a perfect fit - the stand over height is low so a medium could work for you.
  • frogstomp
    frogstomp Posts: 412
    wi5746.jpg

I've just built up a Salsa Horsethief frame and took it to CyB for it's first outing last weekend.. normally ride my Zesty there but I was so impressed with how the 'Thief rode that the former is now likely to be surplus to requirements. Felt very stable and plush on the rocks and downhill sections but still managed to climb well.. and overall didn't feel unwieldy like some of the 29ers I've tried.