Turbo tips

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
So, having bought the thing in July 2012, have finally set up the turbo and had a go for an hour. Surprisingly knackering even on a low setting, also catastrophically boring.

Any top tips on the following:
1) What's the equivalent per hour of turbo compared to an hour of real riding?
2) How do you make it less dull (given that mine's in a garage) :shock: ?
3) What's the best way to use it, given that my aim is my 75 mile ride in 8 weeks (see separate thread)

(No doubt there's a thread already on this, but am also equally sure it's 10 pages or more long and frankly, I'm not wading through that lot :lol: )

Thanks in advance

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    SecretSam wrote:

(No doubt there's a thread already on this, but am also equally sure it's 10 pages or more long and frankly, I'm not wading through that lot :lol: )
    So you expect us to do it for you?

They are boring.
    They do not compare to road riding at all.
    Get out on the road if you want to ride 75 miles and join a club.
    Use a turbo when you know a lot more and can make the time work

Now go read the 10 pages or more of the turbo threads! No one here is going to repeat them as you are too lazy to read them.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    10 pages....more like 65 I think.

Basically listen to music or watch videos.

There are also some videos that provide structured workouts.

I am not telling you any more though - I had to read the 65 pages so so can you
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Don't watch videos/films/tv if you can do that then you're not working hard enough. I will just Que 2 or 3 albums on the computer and put the work in.
  • Sufferfest - the only answer - http://www.thesufferfest.com/video-sufferfests/ - if you aren't watching one you aren't working hard enough :!:
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Sufferfest - the only answer - http://www.thesufferfest.com/video-sufferfests/ - if you aren't watching one you aren't working hard enough :!:

+1

I've started using Sufferfest videos and they're great. An hour becomes tolerable, well it's not boring anyway !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • +1 for sufferfest, boredom isn't an issue, pain, sweat and tears might be.
  • richsieb
    richsieb Posts: 137
    The three leg cycling videos are also pretty good
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Get a Garmin or Computer to monitor cadence and Heart Rate when on the turbo. That keeps my motivation up. Only done 30 or 40 minute turbo sessions so far but I find doing intervals during these sessions a good way to get through them - 2 minutes steady pace and then 1 minute hard pace. Just getting into it but feel it's doing me some good.
  • MattC59 wrote:
    Sufferfest - the only answer - http://www.thesufferfest.com/video-sufferfests/ - if you aren't watching one you aren't working hard enough :!:

+1

I've started using Sufferfest videos and they're great. An hour becomes tolerable, well it's not boring anyway !

I must confess I just got Local Hero cause it lasts a bit longer that Angels and The Hunted which I got first (absolutely unthinkable for me to want to be longer on a F**** ing tutbo pre sufferfest but they are addictive).
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,088
    MattC59 wrote:

+1

I must confess I just got Local Hero cause it lasts a bit longer that Angels and The Hunted which I got first (absolutely unthinkable for me to want to be longer on a F**** ing tutbo pre sufferfest but they are addictive).

Good idea.... Whips card out for further cycling purchases, though I also want a shorter one for 30 mins for quick blasts
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    Not wanting to wade through 60+ pages of waffle - I don't blame you. Good news cyclists are usually helpful and usually like to talk about cycling.

So in answer to some of your questions

If its dull and boring you are not working hard enough.

I have tunes on - no videos - I like 80's marillion for turbo sessions ;)

Plan a session and stick to it. I use a polar hr monitor with cadence sensor and work to targeted hr zones at set cadence.

A favourite of mine is warm up then kick up a gear for minute holding 90+ rpm letting my heart rate build, then every minute for 5-7 minutes I go up a gear but keep the same rpm then 3 minute easier spin and repeat. I tend to do 7 sets now but started at 4. To add some spice I will spin up to over 100 rpm for last 10 seconds of every minute and for the last half minute go harder every 10 seconds and then back off breath and drink.

Good luck and yes turbo sessions work you will get stronger and be able to ride harder for longer as long as you work it :)
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • secretsam
    Scrumple wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

So you expect us to do it for you?...Now go read the 10 pages or more of the turbo threads! No one here is going to repeat them as you are too lazy to read them.

So kind, thanks, did it occur to you that others might find some condensed tips useful? No? Ah well

• secretsam
    BTW thanks to all those who replied with video tips, sadly no telly in the garage, which is where the turbo lives :lol:

• This is how you make it less boring.

5 minute warm up at a very steady pace.
    30 second sprint on hardest gear.
    30 second recovery.
    30 second recovery
    30 second recovery.
    30 second sprint on hardest gear
    30 second recovery.
    Sprint until you feel faint or your heart feels like its gonna leap out of your mouth.
    Warm down.
    Get off bike and repeat 3 times a week.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • Cyclist magazine (March 2013)has a good training programme in it for turbo trainers.

Also a really good read for a cycling magazine
  • kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    lawrences wrote:
    Don't watch videos/films/tv if you can do that then you're not working hard enough. I will just Que 2 or 3 albums on the computer and put the work in.

I agree on this quote works for me.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Scrumple wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

So you expect us to do it for you?

They are boring.
    They do not compare to road riding at all.
    Get out on the road if you want to ride 75 miles and join a club.
    Use a turbo when you know a lot more and can make the time work

Now go read the 10 pages or more of the turbo threads! No one here is going to repeat them as you are too lazy to read them.

Why are more and more people on here getting to be just plain rude and arrogant? Does it go with the amount of posts you have on your profile? No need. :roll:
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    I have a large collection of cycling footage on my laptop, so I usually stick some of those on whilst training.

As for what you do whilst on the turbo, figure out what it is you want to achieve. Most of my training is for European style climbing so I do 1 hour at a constant pace (usually).

Your needs might be different. There are plenty of videos out there to help you, ranging from Sufferfest to Carmicheal Training Systems. The key though is getting ones that train what you want to train.

Depending on how warm your garage is, you might also consider a fan to keep you cool.
  • Sufferfest for me too. They give you a structure to follow ( sort of ) and I'm sure the other similar types of training vids do the same. The good thing about following these is learning to keep the effort and how hard it is. I started off just watching a live gig on a dvd and it was too easy to `give up` putting the effort in but that might be me!
    I think I might be using a fan next time as last Thursday I was dribbling all over the front wheel whilst pumping away 100+ cadence standing up killing myself on A Very Dark Place! Standing up is very wierd when you can't move the bike about!
    2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
    www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk
  • I have music to listen to. The fan on my turbo is very loud and means that I have to use headphones so an iPod is the obvious choice.

As for a workout idea, try this one.

10 min warmup going through the gears but staying on the little ring. I go up to 8 of 9.
    5 mins little ring high (90 - 100) cadence.
    up to the big ring
    5 mins with a 15 second sprint at the end of each minute
    5 mins little ring easy

Repeat the 3 steps above another twice, on the last one do not worry about the 5 mins easy as you will start the warm down

10 mins warm down. Easy, down the gears to your starting point.

That's a workout that I use. It can be really hard if you want to push it. I spend about an hour but that can be modified either way.

Bob