tektro hydraulic disc brakes Adjustment

gmac2416
gmac2416 Posts: 7
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech

Comments

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Is it a hardrock? Try fiddling with the reach adjuster that might sort it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Use a rubber band to hold the brake on overnight and then see how it feels.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • gmac2416
    edited April 2016
  • pesky_jones
    cooldad wrote:
    Use a rubber band to hold the brake on overnight and then see how it feels.
    then a bleed yeah? Only messing
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    gmac2416 wrote:
    Hi All,

Its a GT Avalanche 2.0. I will give the rubber band suggestion a try tonight - Would small diameter rope wrapped achieve the same, I dont think I have any bands.

Gary
    Yep it's just to keep the brakes on.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Watch the brake calipers, if the pads move a 'long' way that is causing the reach issue, it can take a whie to settle, sometimes pulling the lever back as described will do it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gmac2416
    edited April 2016
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can try advancing the pads, remove the wheel and SLOWLY squeeze the brake lever to move the pads out such than when you release the lever the pads only just sit wide enough to get the disc back in between them when you refit the wheel.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pesky_jones
    Maybe find something slightly thinner than the rotor, and use that to effectively act as the rotor, so when you're sqeezing the lever (in the procedure described by The Beginner) you know you won't advance the pads too far. Maybe a washer of some type or a breadknife?

Obviously if your're careful and have a good eye then you don't need to :wink:
  • gmac2416
    edited April 2016
  • gmac2416
    edited April 2016
  • pesky_jones
    gmac2416 wrote:
    the pads only just meet by the time the lever meets the handlebars.
    Do you mean that they only just make contact with the rotor when the lever meets the handlebars?
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Take it to an LBS for a bleed and adjust, shouldn't be too much and then you can get out riding. You should be using the front brake more than the rear anyway. :wink:

I find my tektro brakes have a long pull before engaging anyway, but when set up they are solid stoppers.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • pesky_jones
    Both my tektro brakes bite the rotor within 10-15mm lever travel, really good brakes IMO. They might not be able to bleed at LBS as they need mineral oil which they might not have. If you do end up having to bleed, buy the kit yourself its not too hard.
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    .. They might not be able to bleed at LBS as they need mineral oil which they might not have.
    It is the same oil as for Shimano brakes and it is available even from Halfords.
  • pesky_jones
    Uli wrote:
    .. They might not be able to bleed at LBS as they need mineral oil which they might not have.
    It is the same oil as for Shimano brakes and it is available even from Halfords.

Fair enough its just that when I went to my LBS to bleed my tektros when I first had the bike they said they didn't have the oil and would have to order it in. Obviously not a particulary good LBS though
  • gmac2416
    Long term I think I will buy a kit, I should probably learn how to do this !

Short term though, the original vendor offered to look at them for me if I posted them back to him (Drakes Cycles in Leeds). Great service I though seeing as I bought it 3 months back !
  • pesky_jones
    I think that is you're best option