secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited February 2013 in The cake stop
So: is a flapjack a cake????

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Redmog
    Redmog Posts: 50
    Right, I thought the test was that cake goes harder as it gets stale and biscuits go softer. Trouble is flapjack never lasts long enough to do the test . . .
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    I was about to yes, but it depends on how it's made.

If you bung all the raw ingredients in a bowl, give them a stir and then bake it, it's cake.

If you prepare it by heating the oats, butter and syrup in a pan and then you bake it, then strictly speaking it's a biscuit. Biscuit comes from french origins meaning "twice cooked".

The older I get, the better I was.

• Redmog
    Redmog Posts: 50
    And another thing, why oh why do some people insist on ruining it with dessicated coconut?
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    neither, it's a job title.

the man that flipped or flapped food was called a flap jack.

Fig roll recipe...

Filling
    175 g dried figs, rinsed and coarsely chopped
    Pastry
    100 g wholemeal flour
    100 g plain flour
    2 tablespoons light muscovado sugar
    75 g margarine or 65 g butter
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:
    Lightly grease a baking sheet.Pre-heat oven to 175C/350F/Gas Mark 5.
    Put the figs in a saucepan with 300 ml water. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the figs are tender and the liquid is well reduced. Set aside to cool, then puree in a blender.
    Put the remaining ingredients for the pastry in a blender or food processor with 30 ml water and mix to a dough.
    Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface, then roll out to an oblong about 40 x 12 cm
    Spread the fig puree down the centre of the dough rectangle and carefully fold in the sides so that they overlap over the filling. Roll up.
    Trim the ends of the roll and cut into 3 cm wide slices. Turn the rolls over and place on the prepared baking sheet.
    Mark the top of each roll with a wet fork and bake for 25-30 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool on a rack.

Scoff. :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129
    the first rule of cake stop is: you do not talk about cake
    the second rule of cake stop is: you do not talk about cake
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • SecretSam wrote:
    So: is a flapjack a cake????

A Flapjack is a tray bake. Technically speaking that's a cake, right?

I love Flapjack - pretty sure it's one of my desert island foods.
    tick - tick - tick
  • Currently I'm channeling the Spirit of Soni, and eating flapjack.

But if I stand up while I'm eating instead of sitting, I'll burn off the extra calories, right?
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • team47b
    Currently I'm channeling the Spirit of Soni, and eating flapjack.

But if I stand up while I'm eating instead of sitting, I'll burn off the extra calories, right?

50% more calories burnt if standing up.

even more if you eat the flapjack whilst cycling for the indian takeaway via Mc D's for a banana milkshake to dunk the flapjack in.
  • secretsam
    Excellent! A recipe for fig rolls, more please - flapjack recipe (given that most shop bought are made with lard and gravel :shock: )

• team47b
    Flapjack and then some...

Mrs T's homemade energy bars
    Apricots, dried, chopped 80g
    Cranberries, dried 50g
    Sultanas 80g
    Dates, chopped 70g
    Honey 3 tablespoons
    low fat butter with salt 80g
    Nuts, almonds, chopped 60g
    Nuts, coconut, desiccated 40g
    Nuts, walnuts, chopped 50g
    Oats 45g
    Figs, dried, chopped (or prunes, chopped) 80g
    Seeds, flaxseed 75g
    Seeds, pumpkin 70g
    Seeds, sesame seeds 70g
    Seeds, sunflower seed 65g
    Spices, cinnamon 1 tsp 
    Wheat flour, whole-grain 70g
    Wheat germ 55g
    Gram Flour 75g

PREPARATION
    place all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix. Melt butter together with the honey and add. Mix really well, using your hands to really squidge the mixture together. Press into a baking dish lined with greaseproof paper and press down with the back of a spoon. Bake at 200C for 15-20 minutes. Divide into 18 pieces while still warm but leave in baking tray for 10 minutes. Remove and leave to cool on a cooling rack, although this is very difficult as they're so yummy you'll want to try one straight away!

Per serving
    Size 53g

Calories 227
    Total fat 14g
    Cholesterol 5mg
    Sodium 10mg
    Total carbohydrate 23g
    Protein 6g

Suitable for diabetics, tested on me!

No animals were killed in the making of the energy bars, although some bees were aggravated a bit, and some cows were a bit put out.
  • team47b
    Really simple malt loaf

Ingredients
    75 ml cold tea
    150 g raisins
    125 g self-raising flour
    85 g malt extract
    1 tbsp treacle
    1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda

Method
    Line a 500g (1lb) loaf tin with baking parchment. Pre heat the oven to 170 C/150 fan/gas 4.

Pour the cold tea over the raisins and mix well. Weigh the self-raising flour, then weigh the malt extract on top. Add the treacle then stir it all into the tea and raisins with the bicarbonate of soda.

Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 35 mins until risen and it feels firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and cool for 15 mins before removing from the tin to cool completely. It may sink a little in the centre, but should be cooked and nicely chewy.
  • What about Nigella's Ice Cream cake, its worth looking up on Youtube if not for the recipe then the cook only problem is it doesn't even contain any cake.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • team47b
    Spicy teacake, here's one I made earlier :D

teacake.jpg
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Team47b, will you be my wife? I promise to be frigid, we can consume our relationship with cake.
  • I love flap jack. Anyone else got there own recipes for it?
    Light bike, fat rider.
  • team47b
    Really simple flapjack...

Ingredients
    Serves: 4 (yeah right!)
    110g butter
    40g sugar
    2 tablespoons golden syrup
    175g porridge oats
    50g sultanas or raisins

Takes about 20 mins + Cooking time 15 mins

Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease a tin with a little butter.
    Put the butter, sugar and golden syrup in to a saucepan and put it on low heat and mix till it has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
    Take it off the heat and add the porridge and the fruit . Mix well till the oats are coated (if not coated add a little bit more golden syrup).
    Pour the mixture in to a tin or tray. Flatten down with a the back of a spoon.
    Place the flapjack in to the oven for 10 to 20 minutes until golden brown on the top.
    turn out on to a rack and allow to cool, if you can wait.

You can add any other fruit and seeds depending on your taste or what's in the cupboard.
  • team47b
    merkin wrote:
    Team47b, will you be my wife? I promise to be frigid, we can consume our relationship with cake.

photo's? :wink:

(of bikes of course)
  • secretsam
    When I can be bothered I'll put a recipe on here for nananannananananananana cake.

• rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Victoria sponge trumps everything mentioned so far!
  • My Banana Cake recipe

3 ripe bananas mashed
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup of brown sugar
    1/2 cup of veg oil
    2 eggs
    1 tea spoon of vanilla extract
    2 cups of flour
    1 teaspoon of baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon of salt
    Optional - 1/2 cup of walnuts/dried fruit - either as they are or soaked in tea/rum whatever takes your fancy

As for making it;
    Oven at 165c. Mix bananas and sugar together add vanilla, oil and eggs and continue mixing (either by hand or machine). Then add flour, salt, baking soda and fold together by hand and finally if adding fruit/nuts mix these in. Place in a greased loaf tin and cook for 45-50 minutes just check with a knife that it comes out clean when inserted into the cake, if not give it another 5 minutes.

Then like me enjoy as a mid morning snack or cut in half as a sweet treat whilst out on the bike.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.