Peaked helmets and lycra?

dhobiwallah
dhobiwallah Posts: 272
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Why are roadies so against peaks on helmets?

I have started dipping my toe in the dark side and was lucky enough to have a fantastic ride in glorious sunshine while in California recently. In deference to the skinny tyres I removed the peak of my helmet and donned my lycra bibs (over hairy legs - I do have limits).

Boy did I miss the peak - the sun was constantly in my eyes in some parts. I understand that if you are right in the drops a fixed peak might obstruct forward vision - but then get a moveable one, or one that is in a road specific position (Plenty of people wearing thick rimmed Oakleys causing exactly the same problem anyway).

I noticed several getting round the problem by wearing those 'special' :oops: cycling caps underneath. Presumably now introducing a fixed peak (and removing the only argument I can see against having it on the helmet). Added to this it was pretty hot and their expensive helmets with numerous vents were having much less effect by wearing a hat underneath!

So - what gives? Is it purely a fashion/tradition thing :?:
sun-shade-sunshade-hats-demotivational-poster-1252035291.jpg

Comments

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Had a peak on helmet mk1, hated it, dripped on my face and obscured view when on the drops

Got a non-peak helmet mk2

And some shades :)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I've never quite understood this, I assume it's a fashion "we're the in crowd and we don't do that" thing.
    I always keep mine on but it has recently broken - I find it annoying without it: chiefly because, at the right angle, it can keep quite a lot of rain off your face, and also blocking dazzling headlights.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    partly a fashion thing although if the peak isn't adjustable it can obstruct your vision if you are low on the drops or aero bars and need to look 'through the eyebrows'. Solution - get a helmet with removable or adjustable peak.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I still have my mtb peak helmet I use on the road bike, just not got round to needing a newer one.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    zx6man wrote:
    I still have my mtb peak helmet I use on the road bike, just not got round to needing a newer one.

Same here, but then I also use mtb spd's so I know how uncool I am.
    It's also why I am so slow I believe :oops:
  • zx6man
    Errrr... spd's for me too as I have both bikes. but am not too slow though :-)
  • vala
    vala Posts: 197
    Although technical not a full on road bike I use my Urge Undur-O-matic when out on my Roadrat. Does the job and is nice and comfy. And now some lycra has turned up.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Probably less aero with a peak?
  • zx6man
    Probably less aero with a peak?

Nope, I can still eat the same amount of Aero regardless of peak/no peak
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Comes from here

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Rule 35

All to be taken tongue in cheak (at your peril) :-)

I apply many but also flout several.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • themekon
    themekon Posts: 197
    It's a good idea to wear a peaked cycling cap under your helmet when the sun is low.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Its not fashion at all. The position on a road bike vs MTB is different. You cant see properly with a peak on a road bike - unless you angle the head back - uncomfortably.

Peak on an MTB ride - brilliant - really useful. On a road ride - less so.

Cap under the helmet can be good for blocking sun or headlights or driving rain - but not most of the time.

(and if you're cycling on a road with low sun and you cant see where you're going - try and find a safer route as quickly as you can)
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Remove your peak and wear cap - simples. They are useful for sun, rain and even mild weather.

PIC146840428.jpg
  • Nothing wrong with SPDs on a road bike. ;)

Peaks on helmets on the other hand I don't see the need for in road cycling, more than anything else. It's not designed for the position, and a cap not only does this better but can wick and/or keep your head warm (depending on which you buy) AND look cool/match your kit/both.
  • why have a peak??

that's what oakley radars are for!
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    You lost me at California :)
    I can't answer your question as I'm new to cycling but on a different note, I work a lot in Santa Monica and venture over to Venice and some times Long Beach. I've not cycled but will be taking my bike with me in march and am looking forward to riding in warm conditions and have planned a route through St Helena to Calistoga. This to me would be heaven.
    Living MY dream.
  • Rule 35 sums it up nicely - http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Its just the way it is, you would probably find on an MTB without a visor but a cycle cap underneath to get a few odd looks.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    My commuting lid has a removable peak and, because I commute Easterly in the morning and Westerly in the evening, it can be handy to use if the sky is clear. But it isn't half irritating when there isn't the sunlight to shade. Cap with flippable brim much better.
    smidsy wrote:

Pffft, that's like the people who think that that Only Fools and Horses was the source of the 'Triggers broom' joke! It's been wrong to have the peak whilst on a road bike since long before that Velominati cobblers. :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ...cycling peak cap (NOT a standard baseball-type cap!) has many advantages - for the slap-heads amongst us (me!), it keeps the sun off your bonce, peak shades your eyes from the sun and rain, peak can be flipped up or down depending on your position on the bike..eg, on the drops, you probably want to flip it up to improve vision, they're light and pocket-stuffable so you can carry a spare dry or sweat free one for the return journey...
  • I have taken to wearing my Scott Flux mtb helmet when I am out on the road. It may not be the done thing but I find it very comfy and reassuring. At the end of the day if you are happier with a peak I dont think it matters what anybody else thinks, everyone is an individual and shouldnt feel pressured in to following convention.................right im off to watch a reality show.lol.

Its just the way it is, you would probably find on an MTB without a visor but a cycle cap underneath to get a few odd looks.

'The Rules' don't sum up anything nicely, and that's no exception. ;)

This thread on the other hand, does sum it up very nicely; it's not 'just the way it is', at all: nevermind the fact that it looks wrong, there are clear and defined reasons why a visor is often* less-than-suitable for road cycling and a cap is very suitable. (though cotton, however traditional, is far from the best material to make one from)

To be perfectly honest, however I have reservations about visors on helmets in general; if I did come a cropper and I instinctively shielded my face with my arm or hands, or faceplanted the tarmac, I would not want a piece of rigid plastic there; even if it is designed to come off in that instance.

*The more upright your position, the less it is likely to matter

This thread on the other hand, does sum it up very nicely; it's not 'just the way it is', at all: nevermind the fact that it looks wrong, there are clear and defined reasons why a visor is often* less-than-suitable for road cycling and a cap is very suitable. (though cotton, however traditional, is far from the best material to make one from)

To be perfectly honest, however I have reservations about visors on helmets in general; if I did come a cropper and I instinctively shielded my face with my arm or hands, or faceplanted the tarmac, I would not want a piece of rigid plastic there; even if it is designed to come off in that instance.

So the rule 35 doesn't sum it up nicely but you agree with it. It is quite simple and to the point is that the the definition of it summing something up? :lol:
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Why wear a helmet at all? Living in Australia, which is like California but with better jokes, I can tell you that the whole concept of cycle helmets is stupid.
    Your head is a major cooling surface when you are riding hard. 30% of your blood flow goes through it. Wearing a helmet is like blocking the radiator on your car.
    Helmets stop the sweat being blown off and evaporating, instead directing it into your eyes and onto your sunnies, where it evaporates and reduces your vision.
    I have found that I get symptoms of heat exhaustion riding up my local hill (3.2Km at 10% average grade) above 25C wearing a helmet, but managed it at over 40C (dry heat) with no problems with a cap.
    As for the peak, the main problem is a lack of shade for my nose. Caps seem to have a longer brim, or maybe just lower down, resulting in better shade.
    But retarded people think that helmets are a lifesaver because they see them on cyclists heads and get reports that they have been destroyed in collisions. Funny they don't think that about bumper bars too

So the rule 35 doesn't sum it up nicely but you agree with it. It is quite simple and to the point is that the the definition of it summing something up? :lol:

To 'sum up', generally one actually brings together the strands (hence 'summing'). That site merely happens to give the same position: nowhere are cited any of the sensible reasons that we have given in this thread, and therefore I can only assume - based on the rest of the content on the site - that the author is a wannabe that reached that conclusion out of mindless trendy conformity. So no. ;)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Al Kidder wrote:
    But retarded people think that helmets are a lifesaver because they see them on cyclists heads and get reports that they have been destroyed in collisions. Funny they don't think that about bumper bars too

You aren't going to make any friends on here calling people who think that helmets serve a useful purpose retarded and stupid. Whatever the truth, there is little consensus on these forums.

As for the suitability of helmets in Australia - most of us don't live in Australia. Thankfully, we rarely have to cycle in temperatures of above 25 degrees c and I think many of us would pity you that misfortune. And your 'local hill'? In Yorkshire, we are blessed with hundreds of local hills and I'm always thankful for it! Again, I sympathise with you for not living somewhere with better cycling :wink:

There's other places for arguments about whether helmets should be worn - if you want to make your own pointless contribution to the well worn argument by posting the 654th helmet thread on here, do go ahead.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Al Kidder wrote:

You aren't going to make any friends on here calling people who think that helmets serve a useful purpose retarded and stupid. Whatever the truth, there is little consensus on these forums.

As for the suitability of helmets in Australia - most of us don't live in Australia. Thankfully, we rarely have to cycle in temperatures of above 25 degrees c and I think many of us would pity you that misfortune. And your 'local hill'? In Yorkshire, we are blessed with hundreds of local hills and I'm always thankful for it! Again, I sympathise with you for not living somewhere with better cycling :wink:

There's other places for arguments about whether helmets should be worn - if you want to make your own pointless contribution to the well worn argument by posting the 654th helmet thread on here, do go ahead.

This.

I reckon I have still done more cycling without a helmet than with, but just as I don't think that a helmet is a foolproof guaranteed lifesaver, neither can I conclude that the reasons not to wear one outweigh the ones in favour; given that one isn't all that likely to take a knock on the bonce when out cycling anyway, I don't tend to lose sleep over the matter myself...

But I guess there's always room for another silly helmet argument...
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    SecretSam wrote:
    Had a peak on helmet mk1, hated it, dripped on my face and obscured view when on the drops

That's why I took the peak off my old helmet.
    Purveyor of "up" :)