Why are some people so lazy?

ben@31
ben@31 Posts: 2,327
edited February 2013 in The cake stop
Everyday I see examples of simple laziness, what is up with these people?

- When I go to the supermarket they have to park as close to the door as they can.
- When I go to a cafe they always have to jump the cue to steal the seats before people at the front of the que sit down
- I'm writing this from a cafe now, I am literally sat under 10 foot away from the counter, the other people who were sat at the same table as me did not walk the <10 foot to return the two cups they had. Leaving them for someone else.
- People who drop something on the floor and blatantly know it, yet leave it and walk off.
- There always seems a reluctance to help other people. I see these people walk straight past others who are struggling.
- The attitude where they look after number one at the expense of others.

I'm not saying "i'm holier than thou" everyone has their bad points. But this simple impoliteness that is eroding society.

I remember once watch a documentary about WW1 pilots, if a British pilot was shot down and rarely survived, in an act of chivalry the German pilot would arrange for the British pilot to be picked up out the field and take him back to the German airfield to be treated to a fine dining in night and a drink together. Before the British pilot went to the prisoner of war camp. I always wondered if this was a display, to say the better person is always the most thoughtful and kindest?
"The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby

Comments

• lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    I read the first sentence of this post and couldn't be bothered reading any more.

Maybe I'll come back when I'm
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Is it laziness or lack of feeling any obligation to others or society in general. I think you are right about it being looking after number 1 and stuff the rest. You see it all the time - people chucking litter on the pavement, people who park on the zigzags outside schools, people who drive too fast, people who play loud music late into the night - I think it's just a sense of entitlement to do whatever they choose.

I suppose they are just rational actors - they do what suits them and their individual actions often don't really make an impact on others - add up all the inconsiderate behaviour of these rational actors and yes it does have quite a negative impact on society.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Diet.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Strangely enough, the ones who display the least regard for courtesy or respect are the ones that demand the most from others.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • I am afraid, my friends, we are reaping the "benefits" of the "me first" culture that has dominated modern Western society since the inception of modern advertising techniques in the 1960s. Before then, the message to the masses via education and media (such as it was) was very much "For the good of others", whether that was your neighbours, your co-workers, your parents, even your country. Since advertising and "product development" have been in place, it has all been about "the individual" and "What is best for me me me" - mainly to sell ever useless and expensive products to those people who are unable to differentiate between "wants" and "needs". Now we are getting the long-term affects of such a culture.

There are two statements from historic figures that, for me, have always provided exceelent examples of the change in said culture.

The firts was made by President John F Kennedy on his inauguration in the early 1960s. He said "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country". For "country", read "others" too.

The second was made by Andy Warhol in the 1970s, as the zeitgeist that is individualism exploded. He said "In the future, everyone will be famous for 15 minutes.

Welcome to the future folks. While everyone else iS watching X-Factor/Next Top Model/Millionairre, I anm going out for a bike ride!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • Lucan wrote:
    I read the first sentence of this post and couldn't be bothered reading any more.

Maybe I'll come back when I'm

:P

Think it is just society moving on - when I was young child I dropped some litter outside a house up the street& the owner came out and gave me a good clip round the ear and marched me back to my parents place.

If you did this now you would probably if not getting stabbed by the offending child have it videoed and on Youtube instantly and the police called with a firearms back up and end up getting tasered. Unless you look old in which case your a pedo trying to abduct a child.

You either have morals or if you don't know if you do or don't then your the kind of person we are talking about.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    To make the non-lazy people feel more righteous

Pass the remote

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    ben@31 wrote:

I remember once watch a documentary about WW1 pilots, if a British pilot was shot down and rarely survived, in an act of chivalry the German pilot would arrange for the British pilot to be picked up out the field and take him back to the German airfield to be treated to a fine dining in night and a drink together. Before the British pilot went to the prisoner of war camp. I always wondered if this was a display, to say the better person is always the most thoughtful and kindest?

This was because they were both officers and from the same social class, coupled with the fact that they both flew and had a common bond in that. I doubt either would give a toss about the common oiks the bombs fell on.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Waiting in the queue at the cash dispenser. Guy in front finishes his fag and throws the dog end on the ground. I say 'is the entire world your personal ashtray then' He picks up fag end and deposits it in the litter bin which is right next to the cash dispenser towards which he is heading ....
  • Sadly many seem to see everything as someone else's job, problem or responsibility. The world owes them a living.
    Light bike, fat rider.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Capt Slog wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:

This was because they were both officers and from the same social class, coupled with the fact that they both flew and had a common bond in that. I doubt either would give a toss about the common oiks the bombs fell on.

In WW1 most pilots were NCOs not full commissioned officers so they would have been normal working class people. It was more likely because of the bravery and short life expectancy of pilots on both sides that they had a mutual respect for anyone who was brave enough to volunteer to take to the skies.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    This is a seriously important issue to me, I find that we are inundated with lazy people which in turn is the true destruction of society. People wanting something for nothing is a complete headache for me, I just cant understand the mentality.
    I work hard and it gives me everything I could ever need and yet I often hear people say to the guys I work with, things like "how lucky you are" etc etc but its not luck, its hard work, willingness to work 7 day weeks when needed and willingness to drop what your doing, cancel plans and go out of your way to make sure the job is done.

Often these comments come from people who dont see work as a gift but as a means to an end.
    Living MY dream.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    daviesee wrote:
    Strangely enough, the ones who display the least regard for courtesy or respect are the ones that demand the most from others.

This , also often those with the most give the least and vice versa :?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • robpow
    robpow Posts: 10
    Reminds me of Jon Richardson's bit about leavers vs putters... google it!
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    daviesee wrote:

so true
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • VTech
    arran77 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

This , also often those with the most give the least and vice versa :?

Thats not always the case though, there are the odd one or two philanthropists around.
    Living MY dream.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    VTech wrote:
    This is a seriously important issue to me, I find that we are inundated with lazy people which in turn is the true destruction of society. People wanting something for nothing is a complete headache for me, I just cant understand the mentality.
    I work hard and it gives me everything I could ever need and yet I often hear people say to the guys I work with, things like "how lucky you are" etc etc but its not luck, its hard work, willingness to work 7 day weeks when needed and willingness to drop what your doing, cancel plans and go out of your way to make sure the job is done.

Often these comments come from people who dont see work as a gift but as a means to an end.

What's wrong with seeing work as a means to an end? It's what it is to me, but doesn't make me cr*p at my job or lazy, the opposite in fact. The harder I work, the more I reap. I win and the company I work for also wins, hooray!
  • VTech wrote:

or some folk have shitty jobs?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • VTech
    I was referring to the people who dont work and then blame jobs they wont do as a means to an end.

I think we should all be thankful we have jobs, regardless of what we do. I get fed up of my job at least twice a month but my friends think im the luckiest person in the world, its all relative. I am sure everyone feels that on a monthly basis but given the alternative, id pick work any day.
    Living MY dream.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    VTech wrote:
    I was referring to the people who dont work and then blame jobs they wont do as a means to an end.

I think we should all be thankful we have jobs, regardless of what we do. I get fed up of my job at least twice a month but my friends think im the luckiest person in the world, its all relative. I am sure everyone feels that on a monthly basis but given the alternative, id pick work any day.

Ahh ok, I agree and with the second paragraph.