XTR M985 Wheelset - Worth it?

Tally Ho
Tally Ho Posts: 32
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Merlin have these at £414 quid. There is very little info or reviews on the web about them, anyone here have them or
recommend them? Are they worth it? I'd be putting them on a Malt 4 hardtail, and riding only XC. They would get plenty of use as my regular wheels rather than being 'Race only' wheels. If not XTR M985's then any other alternative recommendations are also welcome?

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... -pair.html

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Mavic Crossmax's, have problems with getting spares though
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    No, rip off IMO.

A friend is selling some DT190s on Alpines for £400, far lighter, spares easier to come by.

Or just build some DT240s (or XTR if you want Shimano hubs) on your choice of rim.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They are much tougher than just race wheels, but for just xc there are lighter options.
  • supersonic wrote:
    They are much tougher than just race wheels, but for just xc there are lighter options.

Is that a reasonable price for them? and are they quite durable, say a yearly service at the bike shop will do?
  • supersonic
    I have an earlier version, have not owned this particular set, but are the best wheels I have ever had. The scandium rims are nigh on indestructable, I have really clouted them. the hubs are fantastic, so smooth, easy to service. And I have found parts easy to get too, any Madison/Shimano dealer can order them in. they also come with the best quick releases in the business, bar none.

If I was going for a superlight race xc set i would look elsewhere, but if you want a tough, durable wheel for xc and trails that is still a decent weight then I do think they are a good price at £414.

Or these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMERICAN-CLAS ... vi-content

Are the same weight as the XTR, and I don't think the hubs are quite as good, but the rim is a touch wider if you are using larger tyres, and also a tough wheel too.
  • njee20
    They're decent wheels, and the full price is over £700, I'd just say you can do better for less money. But then I don't like factory wheels.

The hubs are fantastically free rolling, but do require servicing to avoid trashing them at huge expense. Annual may be sufficient, perhaps more if you ride a lot in winter. Be aware that spokes and nipples are proprietary, expensive and not always easy to come by (we often waited weeks for parts).
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I could not be arsed with cup and cone hubs.
  • supersonic
    Strangely enough I looked at mine today for the first time for 2 and a half years - didn't need touching. XTR really are a cut above here.
  • njee20
    We had a customer who had a phenomenal ability to trash c&c hubs. He borrowed the owners Dura Ace wheels for 2 weeks - they'd not been serviced for 3 years. He completely buggered them beyond repair. No idea how he did it, because I agree the sealing on the top end ones is great.
  • This is all really useful, thanks. I'm thinking I will go for it and look after them.