My Bottecchia

Flexisurfer
Flexisurfer Posts: 249
edited February 2013 in Your road bikes
Botteccia005_zps24f58da7.jpg

This is my 2003 Bottecchia that I purchased from Fatbirds in Hunstanton. This is the one and only impulsive buy that I have never regreted. I was out on a Christmas holiday ride in Norfolk and had 3 punctures between Kings Lynn and Hunny so I decided to get a new tube from the shop but came out with this instead. It's and absolute gem to ride and I doubt that I will ever be able to out perform it.

Here's the spec.

Frame - 57.5 cm center to top of seat post Dedacciai aluminium finished in black with a rubberised coat making it mat black.

Fork - Carbon with aluminium crown and dropouts.

Rear Mech - Campagnolo Centaur 10spd

Front Mech - Campagnolo Centaur Black - 10spd

Cassette - Campagnolo Centaur 12-25

Chainset - Campagnolo Centaur 53/39 172.5 Ultra Drive for those that can remember.

Chain - Campagnolo 10spd

B/B - Campagnolo Veloce square taper.

Pedals - Shimano 105.

Brakes - Campagnolo Centaur Black

Shifters - Campagnolo Centaur 10spd

Wheels - Mavic Aksium Race 2011.

Tyres - Continental Gatorskins. I will probably change these for a lighter race tyre as I now have a winter bike.

Sadle - Specialized Romin Expert (the one in the picture is the old Selle Italia)

Bars - Deda Piega anatomical standard size 44cm (These are different to the picture which were Deda Nera 42cm) wrapped with Bontarger gel grip tape.

Stem - ITM Forge Lite 110cm

Bottle cages - Arundel carbon

Garmin Edge 500.

Seat Post - Unbranded original.

Phew! I don't think I've left anything off.

Comments

• That bike is Da Bomb. Their latest range is I believe thee sexiest range of road bikes out there at the moment. I bought the Duello last year and it is absolutely the best bike ive owned for the money in over 30 years of riding. I,ll post some picks when Ive done swapping parts.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • Looks great!
    2012 Bottecchia Super 8Avio 105
    2007 Focus Variado 105
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    Nice looking bike and spec. The older shape ergo levers for me are still the best, as are Bottecchia bikes.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • kirkee wrote:
    Nice looking bike and spec. The older shape ergo levers for me are still the best, as are Bottecchia bikes.

What's the difference with the newer levers then?
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    the newer levers are a different shape the link shows a pic with the newest type first older type middle http://ruedatropical.com/2009/05/tre-ge ... ampagnolo/.
    I have owned a pair of new veloce but sold them on as I couldn't get on with them. I'm back on my older ones like your bike has. For extra spotter info have a look at the Tommasini Superprestige recently posted in your road bikes, it has the first generation shape ergo levers fitted to it.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • kirkee wrote:
    the newer levers are a different shape the link shows a pic with the newest type first older type middle http://ruedatropical.com/2009/05/tre-ge ... ampagnolo/.
    I have owned a pair of new veloce but sold them on as I couldn't get on with them. I'm back on my older ones like your bike has. For extra spotter info have a look at the Tommasini Superprestige recently posted in your road bikes, it has the first generation shape ergo levers fitted to it.

Why didn't you get on with them? Only I'm looking at replacing the shimano groupset on my Specialized to the Veloce groupset, I've also not heard too many compliments on the new bottom brackets. Personally I can't see why taper drive had to be replaced, was it because of the mass production of carbon frames?
  • Now THAT is a pretty bike from a time when most bikes were not very pretty at all.

Mega downtubes as they were called at the time featured on De Rosas, Bianchis, Pinarello, and several other makers of the time. They were much prettier than the OCLV Treks for example.

It's really beautiful and reminds me of a time when steel was being left behind for good at the top of the sport.

Are you sure it's an 03 and not earlier?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Thanks Frans.

I bought it new in December 2003 and it was advertised as the previous years model, ie, 2002, meaning it was possibly built in 2001. I don't know what model it is all it had on the tag was Bottecchia Centaur, I emailed Reece cycles to see if they knew or could get hold of a brochure from around that time, so far heard back from them.