29er Superbow project

naffa
naffa Posts: 126
edited November 2013 in Your mountain bikes
Well I have always loved the Corratec Superbow but I never thought I'd be able to afford one. I love the frame design its unique to my knowledge and you dont see too many around.
I wasn't really looking for one though and I really wasn't interested in getting a 29'er, I'm really in love with my dirty-jo.
So when I was browsing PB I thought I'll have a look in the 29'er section and saw this Superbow frame which was for sale about 10 minutes drive from my home.
This morning I phoned the seller and arranged to view the frame. All I can say is I was smitten. Apart from some small scratches its totally sound and doesn't look as though its had a hard life.

I've just got to start getting things together for it now such as wheels and forks, might take a while.
What you think? I know the pics arent the best cause I was rushing before work and using my phone.
DSC_0055.jpg
DSC_0056.jpg
DSC_0057.jpg
DSC_0058.jpg
Cheers Nathan.

Comments

• Looks cool - never seen one before.

Look forward to seeing it built up.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    Yeahhhhhhh. Love these frames!
  • That is one the most beautiful frames I've ever seen! Stunning!
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I nearly bought a Corratec on the internet but ended up buying a Marin as I had seen one in the flesh.

I just could justify buying the Corratec blind and anyone I spoke to had never heard of them.

I would be very interested in hearing what it is like.
  • Levi_501 wrote:
    I nearly bought a Corratec on the internet but ended up buying a Marin as I had seen one in the flesh.

I just could justify buying the Corratec blind and anyone I spoke to had never heard of them.

I would be very interested in hearing what it is like.

I own a superbow I really like it, it's super fast and super stiff a real race bike, It was to harsh on the rear so now it has been retired as a hack bike
  • naffa
    I've just done a deal on some Magura forks and a pair of wheels which I will hopefully have by the end of next week so the build will soon be underway.
    Also I've just ordered a new Superstar Integrato headset for it
    Cheers Nathan.
  • emseens
    emseens Posts: 146
    I never been fan of FUN model, TEAM is more beautiful, bike is bike, still want to see complete bike.
  • naffa
    I wanted to ride today even despite the weather but on yesterdays ride there was something wrong with the front brake on my Dirty Jo. Inspecting it today it was clear the brake pads had disintegrated completely. Ride cancelled so I used my time to start the build up of the Corratec.
    I'm waiting for bits and pieces to arrive but yesterday I got my forks, headset and hope stem so I put them on. I'll have to get the steerer cut down though :)

GEDC0016.JPG

GEDC0015.JPG

GEDC0010.JPG

GEDC0007.JPG

Hopefully my wheels will be here soon.
    Cheers Nathan.
  • Levi_501
    Rigids??? I would have thoguht a nice set of Sids or DT Swiss forks would slide in there lovely.

Or are you goign for the diet version?
  • naffa
    edited March 2013
    I am on the lookout for some 100mm travel forks should I not like it as it is.
    Cheers Nathan.
  • naffa
    edited March 2013
    I managed to get some time to fit a few bits to the frame and get it rolling. So far the most expensive part of the build has been the frame. Wheels were a rare eBay bargain. I've got Shimano brakes to fit but I've lost or misplaced my front 180mm rotor so I couldnt really be bothered to fit anything else 'til I find it. (anyone got one lying around they dont need)?

Anyway a few pics.

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0095.jpg

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0098.jpg
    Cheers Nathan.
  • Levi_501
    Looking good, but you need some colour on there; it looks like Batman's MTB!
  • naffa
    I took your advice and added a bit of colour, not too much though. :lol:
    The weathers a bit crap for brilliant photos but when the suns out or i'm riding again I'll get some decent pics.
    I put the finishing touches to the bike yesterday. I'll list the spec:

Corratec superbow trail frame
    Giant p-xc wheels
    Bontrager 2.3 and 2.1 tubeless tyres
    Deore brakes
    Slx shifters, cassette and clutch mech
    Sram pc 1051 chain and x7 2x10 cahinset, shimano external bb and spd pedals
    Carbon forks (inc crown and steerer)
    Carbon bars
    Hope stem
    Selle italia xc saddle on standard post.
    Mucky nutz front and rear (front doesnt quite fit right though).

DSC_0106.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

DSC_0108.jpg
    Cheers Nathan.
  • That is a really nice frame!! I'm a big fan of rigid too
  • Lovely looking bike - what a bargain frame. The splash of colour looks class

The mucky nutz? I might be wrong but typically, or at least from what I've seen, the one facing behind the forks is correct and the one facing out, should actually be on the back - facing away from your arse. Wheels turn clockwise blah blah blah. But I could be wrong - I often am apparently ;)
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • Levi_501
    Very cool, Batman would be proud to fight crime on her!
  • naffa
    Lovely looking bike - what a bargain frame. The splash of colour looks class

The mucky nutz? I might be wrong but typically, or at least from what I've seen, the one facing behind the forks is correct and the one facing out, should actually be on the back - facing away from your ars*. Wheels turn clockwise blah blah blah. But I could be wrong - I often am apparently ;)

Thanks for the comments Paul but you've lost me completely on the MN thing :)
    Cheers Nathan.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    not usually a fan of rigids, but thats a nice looking bike you've put together there :D
    naffa wrote:
    Thanks for the comments Paul but you've lost me completely on the MN thing :)
    he means turn it around, the mn is designed for a fork brace on a suspension fork, not a fork crown, it may sit better the other way :wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • naffa
    Ahhh...I'll go and give it a try now
    Cheers Nathan.
  • naffa
    The bike was finished and I even advertised it for sale because I thought I'd riding her would uncomfortable after my accident (a couple of people have stated how hard the ride is on these).
    However with a bit of good weather forecast and my injuries feeling a bit better I went for a short ride on her and I wasn't disappointed. She really does ride as good as she looks! Even fully rigid shes not massively uncomfortable with the right tyre pressures. However I realised that with a set of suspension forks this is a bike I could probably keep and ride and maybe it'll even take over from my Dirty Jo as my 'go to' bike.
    My mate who I was riding with on Saturday saw some RS Recons for sale on STW and I bought them. They arrived yesterday ad were fitted straight away but I had to wait for today to ride.
    I'm still struggling physically from my accident so a long strenuous ride is out of the question, so I chose a fairly flat route using national cycle trails totalling about 32 miles for my ride today.
    I'm glad I tried rigid but to be honest hardtail suits me better. I found the Recons compliant and reasonably controilled although nowhere near as good as my Reba's on the Dirty Jo.
    I cant believe how easily a 29'er covers the ground, I dont think you get the sense of speed but on the clock it shows.
    The only downside to the ride today was a pinch puncture when I tried to jump a small gulley and the rear wheel dropped into it. The tyre deflated immediately but a spare inner tube later and with the help of a co2 inflater I was back on my way.
    I dont usually keep my bikes very long. I soon get bored, upgrade, update, get bored again, move on. This bike however has the potential to be a keeper along with my Dirty Jo.
    If you get the chance to ride or own one then do, you wont be disappointed I'm sure.

New forks fitted
    DSC_0133.jpg

From todays ride (before the puncture)
    DSC_0138.jpg
    Cheers Nathan.
  • JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    "A long ride is out of the question"

"Totalling 32 miles"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I consider 32 miles to be at least a reasonably long ride...?
  • tman100
    tman100 Posts: 33
    Thats a lovely bike. I'm glad you can ride it without too much discomfort.
  • naffa
    JMcP92 wrote:

"Totalling 32 miles"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I consider 32 miles to be at least a reasonably long ride...?

Well thanks for misquoting me there my friend :roll: :)
    Cheers Nathan.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    naffa wrote:
    New forks fitted
    DSC_0133.jpg
      ooo real forks, now i really like it :D
    naffa wrote:
    JMcP92 wrote:

"Totalling 32 miles"

Well thanks for misquoting me there my friend :roll: :)
      thats just a gentle ride for a couple of hours, he needs to get out more :wink::lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Cogsy1976
    Cogsy1976 Posts: 143
    I had a 26in Fun Superbow and loved the uniqueness of the frame, I must yours looks absolutely awesome! have fun on it
  • naffa
    I was just thinking about it and reakised I haven't updated the thread through the year.
    Im just in the process of rebuilding the 'bow as I now call it. Itll be rebuilt with riychey wcs rims on hope pro2 hubs and ive got a newer xt crank and different grips, but apart from that it will look exactly the same as in this recent pic.
    DSC_0043.jpg
    DSC_0040.jpg
    I love riding it and this year apart from local riding ive used it at cannock chase, forest of dean, thre long mynd and best of all nant yr arian, the 1st pic is taken on the excellent syfidrin trail.
    Ive got an itch for a full sus bike though so I might hsve to sell this to achieve that.
    Cheers Nathan.