Dual Ring Chain Guides

ralph1471
ralph1471 Posts: 92
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys

I have been having a lot of problems with chain suck on my transition covert, mainly when using my smaller chainring. I am running a dual ring setup with a blackspire stinger chain guide. I have previously replaced both front chainrings, the chain and the cassette and I am still having problems. What I think is causing it is the step in the roller on the blackspire stinger. When the chain runs on the raised step whilst it is in the smaller chainring, it sometimes slips off slightly, causing the chain to twist and catch on the chainring for longer than it should, which causes the chain suck (particularly when the bike is filthy).

I have looked around for a dual ring guide that is flat all the way across but a lot of product photos dont really seem to show whether there is a step or not, and it seems like almost all of them have got one. Does anyone know of a dual ring guide with a roller or slider or whatever that is flat all the way across? im not so bothered about chain tension when using the smaller ring because I only use it for steep climbs anyway.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Beofre you go splashing cash on chain guides and the like. You chain suck problem may be solveable. What rings are you running. On my 2x10 setup I have gone for a 40-28T chainring to try and avoid this problem. Time will tell.

Read this. http://www.fagan.co.za/Bikes/Csuck/
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • thanks for the reply. I read that before and came away with the message that generally it is caused by worn chainrings, which led me to replacing them, which helped reduced the frequency of it happening but didnt fix the problem. I am running a 2x9 setup with 36 - 22 chainrings. Do you think that could affect it? I dont really want to change the size of the chainrings as I quite like the ratios and my bashguard would not fit anything larger.
  • When the chain runs on the raised step whilst it is in the smaller chainring, it sometimes slips off slightly

Sounds like the stinger isn't quite aligned correctly. You might want to try fitting a washer between the roller and the mount plate, just to push the roller outward a touch.
  • nope, its aligned properly cause it sits on there fine normally, when you turn the cranks it is sitting in the right place ( I have tried suing a spacer before) but it seems to slip off when it gets dirty. Im not sure i really need the ridge for it to sit on anyway, im tempted to modify it myself...
  • At what angle do you have the Stinger adjuster to? I had mine low initially so it was only just pushing into the chain and got slight chain suck problems, then I adjusted it so I have mine tucked up nice and high, pushing into the chain alot and have never had a problem since (I hope that makes sense, here's a photo of how I have it now)

DSC03027_zps31f07c1b.jpg
  • The stinger is in the highest position it will go without touching the bashguard. (I have an SLX one like yours).

Does anyone know of a dual guide that doesn't have a stepped roller?
  • Hi mate I have a stinger that I ran a 2x9 on my old kona dawg I had the same problem so I turned the step down to the same size as the rest on my dads lathe and it worked fine after I will dig it out tomorrow and post a pic
  • sweet, cheers buddy. Ill give it a go.