Shock Pump - Boardman Comp?

stiscooby
stiscooby Posts: 139
edited February 2013 in MTB general
Going to pick up my new Boardman Comp today :D - the guy who called to let me know it's ready to collect asked if anyone has suggested when I ordered it that I also purchase a shock pump (he is/was a Boardman mechanic apparently).

He recommends getting one so I can setup the pressure in the shocks to match my body weight. He tells me sometimes people bring their bikes back a few months later complaining the shocks are knackered and it's because the air pressure hasn't been set to match their weight.

This all kind of makes sense but I'm a newbie so would it be worth while me getting one (he tells me their about £25) or is he trying to spin me a line to sell something extra??? :?:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes get one.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Basically he is correct - if it has an air fork then it will need to be matched to your weight/riding style.
    Also it is likely to lose a bit of air over time and will need to be checked.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not basically at all. He is correct. End of.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Get one with a gauge on it so you can see what pressure is actually in it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003664C2W/r ... B003664C2W

These are good.
  • nicklouse
    Get one with a gauge on it so you can see what pressure is actually in it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003664C2W/r ... B003664C2W

These are good.
    cant say I know of a shock pump that does not have a gauge.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Topeak micro......I ride with one as a backup, setup with a guaged one.
    http://www.thedogswheels.co.uk/topeak-m ... -1144.html

Surprised at you on that one Nick!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    cant see the point. useless for a lot of shocks and some forks. as if certain parts are not within certain pressues damage can happen.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I guess they're for minor top ups when it's cold or something, especially if you have a small pack.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    I think there're a lot of shock pumps cheaper then £25
  • Thanks for the info. I will pick one up, although not for £25!
  • foy
    foy Posts: 296
    You can get a fox shock pump from leisure lakes.com for £20 and they are very good quality as well and come with a gauge. A shock pump without a gauge is as much use as a chocolate fireguard, avoid these like the plague.
  • Picked my new comp up this eve 8) first thing I noticed was how much lighter it feels compared to my old bike!

Can't ride it for a few weeks though as off on hol on sat.

I also picked up a shock pump with a gauge, it should have been about £25 but they done it for £18 as they mentioned it and I said no ta as they are cheaper on line so they knocked a few quid off, plus I got my bike with an insurance voucher - the bike was £589 and with the cost of the pump on top and the value of my voucher I ended up owing them 3p! Lol
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    foy wrote:
    A shock pump without a gauge is as much use as a chocolate fireguard, avoid these like the plague.
    Shock pressure is only there as a guide , more importantly is you set the sag correctly and fine tune for yourself. (so you don't need a gauge) :lol:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I guess they're for minor top ups when it's cold or something, especially if you have a small pack.
    Indeed, I carry it in my pack (it weighs just over 100g), can be very usefull for fine tuning, especailly the SPV on my Manitou, also on one ride one of our groups forks suddenly just lost air and collapsed, we pumped them up with the micro to sensible sag and they were fine for the rest of the ride (assume something affected the valve briefly), ridden with no pressure they (and he) would have suffered somewhat!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.