Uxbridge

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
Anyone know Uxbridge and the surrounding area well?

Looking to rent there, possibly, in the very near future - any advice on areas to live with kids would be much appreciated.

Comments

• mzm70
    mzm70 Posts: 123
    Yep, I live and work in Uxbridge, PM with some more details. I don't have much feel for the rental market but there are plenty of Victorian/Edwardian properties in the area.

Mick
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    You could live in the Chalfonts.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I worked there (for Xerox) for 7 years.. It's now one of the few places I actively avoid, I take a similar approach to Hatfield although for different reasons.....

This post hasn't helped you much....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    In my past life I had to send a trainee solicitor to work at a client in Uxbridge and she had to live in a Premier Inn for nine days and eat at the attached restaurant each night - I felt really bad for her and struggled to look her in the eye after that....
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • veronese68
    But if you go out from Uxbridge there are some nice places not too far away. Not towards Hayes of course.
  • Uxbridge - don't they speak a different language there? Why else would there be a need for the Uxbridge English Dictionary
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • gtvlusso
    Okay - This is all good.

I am safe in the knowledge that Sketchley won't be around :-( - I think he is avoiding me.

Basically, I have been offered a job in central Uxbridge for a considerable salary. However, rents are high and I will, more than likely be supporting my current mortgage to some degree - so by definition I will be skint again!

Was thinking about around the Canal are towards Iver Heath and Denham - Heading outside the M25. keeps me on a cycle ride in then!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I thought you were fooking off to Australia?

Edit: Shrimps on the barbie, mate!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • gtvlusso
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Reason I am leaving the current employer! I have been messed about with location and pay no end; Offered Toronto, Redmond, Sydney - all of which after offer and considerable admin work on my behalf petered out.......or got cancelled literally a week before we were due to leave.

A right friggin' mess!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    gtvlusso wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Reason I am leaving the current employer! I have been messed about with location and pay no end; Offered Toronto, Redmond, Sydney - all of which after offer and considerable admin work on my behalf petered out.......or got cancelled literally a week before we were due to leave.

A right friggin' mess!
    Perhaps your job is to be offered better jobs but for them to all fall through... I have no idea what you do except that you've mentioned it's 6 figures - what is that like by the way?

I'd ask some of the other 6 figure crew on here but they'd just slap me across the face with a wad of 50 notes (£50 cover a larger surface area see... ).
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • flamite
    flamite Posts: 269
    outside the m25... obviously the further you are away from the train stations the cheaper it is, chalfonts are nice and would be a good 10ish mile hilly commute

im up the road in beaconsfield, and a plus - the chilterns on your doorstep :)
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    Okay - This is all good.

Was thinking about around the Canal are towards Iver Heath and Denham - Heading outside the M25. keeps me on a cycle ride in then!

If you are after a canal commute somewhere around Rickmansworth is a good option (but pricey)

Chalfonts/Gerrards Cross/Beaconsfield and the surrounding areas are good. Ickenham, West Ruislip & Northwood are also good options.

Just realised my none of my suggestions are on the 'cheap' side :?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    As far out as Amesham is just about doable by bike, so you've a pretty big area to search. I'd stick the postcode in findaproperty or whatevr it is called now, set the filter for a 10-mile radius, and see what it throws up. That'll at least give you a bit more of a shortlist to scope out. I'm assuming this is rental with a view to buying in a while, so you don't necessarily have to get it absolutely perfect first time.

P.S. Glad to hear things are looking up in the work department.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gtvlusso
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

A right friggin' mess!
    Perhaps your job is to be offered better jobs but for them to all fall through... I have no idea what you do except that you've mentioned it's 6 figures - what is that like by the way?

I'd ask some of the other 6 figure crew on here but they'd just slap me across the face with a wad of 50 notes (£50 cover a larger surface area see... ).

Close to 6 figures! Not quite there yet!

Comes down to; responsibility and decision making = pay.

The statements that are coming from the top of my company are sweeping and have no actual plan....leaves the rest of us to fit in with the statement, mop up and do what we can to fulfill.

Basically, it is a bollox way of working.

As with anything, you spend what you earn; I am still paying uni fees for myself and my beloved + 2 mortgages and have a staggering amount of debt from previous life. I won't go into detail but a family member is in short term financial buggery; so I have taken on their mortgage to help out.

Accepted job in Uxbridge.

Gotta sell Bristol house and move - now the 'real' work starts.
  • veronese68
    Well done, and good luck.
    Disappointed there have been no jokes about applying cream to Chalfonts.