An exciting day for me

jordan_217
jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
edited March 2013 in Amateur race
My (first) race license arrived in the post yesterday and I've just attached my photo and laminated the license/membership card. So now I'm all ready to start my first race in 3 weeks, I can't wait :D

Probably not a big thing for the seasoned racers on here but I'm really chuffed and hope I enjoy the season ahead. I have entered 5 races in March.

Looking forward to what I'm sure is going to be a steep learning curve :)
“Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”

Comments

• saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    Fair play, I am doing the same thing, Licence came through a few days ago, and am looking at races to enter now.

Are you just entering local races and diving in feet first? For some reason I am being a right wet blanket, quite nervous, not sure why really lol
  • jordan_217
    saprkzz wrote:
    Are you just entering local races and diving in feet first? For some reason I am being a right wet blanket, quite nervous, not sure why really lol

Conveniently there's a local race series which is running each w'end in March and is open to local clubs. Apparently it get's pretty serious but the main aim of the series is to encourage riders to get into racing. It's a handicap system so novices set off xx minutes before the rest of the field. I believe it works on the basis of points earned in the previous season (?). There's further series' running throughout the season including a midweek meet in Summer which is held at Rockhingham racing circuit. So there's scope to enter 10+ races without venturing too far.

I'm also thinking about entering a race at Elveden in Suffolk, which is the inaugural event and is held at the Elveden Estate, on closed roads. Just need to decide if I'd be a bit silly/naive doing my 2nd and 3rd races on the Saturday and then the Sunday......
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • GATES
    GATES Posts: 53
    Get in there boys I did my first race last weekend after 8 months of riding and losing 6 stone

I manged 6th out of 73 people. Happy with that for my first race just hope I can get out of cat 4 soon
  • saprkzz
    GATES wrote:
    Get in there boys I did my first race last weekend after 8 months of riding and losing 6 stone

I manged 6th out of 73 people. Happy with that for my first race just hope I can get out of cat 4 soon

bl**dy hell, nice one.. hats off to you!!, one more race and you could/will be! :)
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    GATES wrote:

Chapeau Sir!
  • GATES wrote:

Well done indeed :lol:
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,858
    GATES wrote:

Impressive!
  • GATES
    GATES Posts: 53
    cheers guys got my 4 points put onto BC today

got my 2nd race next saturday looking forward to it

i advice every one that is thinking about it, to give it a bash its a little nerve racking been in such a big bunch but loads of fun
  • jordan_217
    GATES wrote:
    cheers guys got my 4 points put onto BC today

got my 2nd race next saturday looking forward to it

i advice every one that is thinking about it, to give it a bash its a little nerve racking been in such a big bunch but loads of fun

Good effort! :)
  • jordan_217
    Today was the big day. Really nice course on open roads. No wind and blue skies. I wasnt prepared for the carnage at the start, everyone was all over the place fighting for the smallest of gaps (a bit silly IMO as there was plenty of miles to go) but half way into the first lap we got organised and started to go through and off, which worked well and kept the speed high without leaving me feeling I was redlining and would'nt be able to hang on.

It was a handicap system so the ladies set off 2 mins ahead of us (cat 4's/novices) and then further time gaps between the 3rd and 2nd cats.

We caught the first group 3/4's into the first lap and just stayed on the gas waiting for the inevitable pass but it never came. I think we held a 1 minute gap against the fast boys for the last part of the race. It was a slight incline up to the line so I picked a wheel and tried to hold it. I was shocked when people just started to go backwards and 10 riders became 4-5. With the line in sight I was absolutely spent but kept the cadence as high as I could and crossed the line 3rd overall . Totally shocked and really chuffed. I really enjoyed it though and cant wait for race 2 next Saturday.

Now to spend my £10 prize money :D
  • saprkzz
    Wow, i am impressed!! :lol::lol:

You did really well, I am just worried about being able to hold the group and not getting shelled out the back. There have been a few members on here entering their first races and doing really well, the pressure is on me to keep the bike radar newbie racers street cred!! My first race is April 16th, so still a little bit to train.

How did you find the overall pace, were on on your limits?.. How long was the race?.. I have so many questions..lol :lol:
  • wilky27
    wilky27 Posts: 200
    saprkzz wrote:
    ... My first race is April 16th, so still a little bit to train.

Wouldn't happen to be at the Tameside Track would it?
  • saprkzz
    wilky27 wrote:
    saprkzz wrote:
    ... My first race is April 16th, so still a little bit to train.

Wouldn't happen to be at the Tameside Track would it?

No, I am travelling to Mallory park, there's quite a few races on this day to choose from.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,442
    saprkzz wrote:

You did really well, I am just worried about being able to hold the group and not getting shelled out the back. There have been a few members on here entering their first races and doing really well, the pressure is on me to keep the bike radar newbie racers street cred!! My first race is April 16th, so still a little bit to train.

How did you find the overall pace, were on on your limits?.. How long was the race?.. I have so many questions..lol :lol:

Don't worry, I'm an old hand having done 7 seasons as a junior and 3rd cat (there was no 4th cat then) before a long break and have done a few races since starting again without a sniff of a point and have regularly been dropped. I used to just use the rest of the race for training and go back for more the next week. If racing circuit races then just jump back in when you get lapped (but stay at the back at the finish). You then get a chance to learn how to position yourself and it's surprising how much easier it can be to stay in at the second attempt when you have warmed up and some of the more keen riders have used their excess energy. There do seem to be a few here who have done really well in their early races and it is quite common to see this early season as those with a bit of talent and fitness find their level and quickly move up a category but many others race for years without getting a point.
  • jordan_217
    saprkzz wrote:

Cheers. Overall pace was'nt too bad TBH (well it was a lot more manageable than I was expecting) as we were working together so there was a little respite before another effort on the front. If it went on like the pace in the the first few miles then I would'nt have lasted long. My Garmin picked the one day to play up so I dont have any data of my own but it was just over a 30 mile race and was covered in 74 mins. I didn't have anything in the tank for a kick at the end but luckily people fell back so I held on for 3rd. I heard lots of different figures regarding ave speed afterwards but all in the region of 24.5-25 mph, not sure thats indicative of how it panned out though. I just know it was hard but I did enjoy it. Which was my main goal.

The last few of our club runs have been carnage as our 1st/2nd cat riders have been prep'ing to race and trying to destroy everyone else, I suppose that was pretty good prep for me.

Looking at BC website the guys who finised in the top 2 dont have a full licence so I think I get the 10 pts = 3rd cat????
  • saprkzz
    Pross wrote:
    saprkzz wrote:

Don't worry, I'm an old hand having done 7 seasons as a junior and 3rd cat (there was no 4th cat then) before a long break and have done a few races since starting again without a sniff of a point and have regularly been dropped. I used to just use the rest of the race for training and go back for more the next week. If racing circuit races then just jump back in when you get lapped (but stay at the back at the finish). You then get a chance to learn how to position yourself and it's surprising how much easier it can be to stay in at the second attempt when you have warmed up and some of the more keen riders have used their excess energy. There do seem to be a few here who have done really well in their early races and it is quite common to see this early season as those with a bit of talent and fitness find their level and quickly move up a category but many others race for years without getting a point.

Actually thats a good tactic, that if I do get dropped there's nothing i can do about it, but rejoin when (if) i get lapped to gain expereince! thanks for that!!

I dont mind the outcome, if I do well then great if not then its hopefully going to be a buzz! and a learning curve for the next race.
  • saprkzz
    jordan_217 wrote:
    saprkzz wrote:

Cheers. Overall pace was'nt too bad TBH (well it was a lot more manageable than I was expecting) as we were working together so there was a little respite before another effort on the front. If it went on like the pace in the the first few miles then I would'nt have lasted long. My Garmin picked the one day to play up so I dont have any data of my own but it was just over a 30 mile race and was covered in 74 mins. I didn't have anything in the tank for a kick at the end but luckily people fell back so I held on for 3rd. I heard lots of different figures regarding ave speed afterwards but all in the region of 24.5-25 mph, not sure thats indicative of how it panned out though. I just know it was hard but I did enjoy it. Which was my main goal.

The last few of our club runs have been carnage as our 1st/2nd cat riders have been prep'ing to race and trying to destroy everyone else, I suppose that was pretty good prep for me.

Looking at BC website the guys who finised in the top 2 dont have a full licence so I think I get the 10 pts = 3rd cat????

Yeah that sounds like great prep, I havent been on a fast club run yet as they dont start until the clocks change, so at the moment, Saturday is a steady pace ride with no attacks, but in the week they do a 30 mile loop with hill attacks, fast chain gang and sprints for the sign, these are E/1/2/3 riders, so looking forward to that.

That will be awesome if you get all the points, does that mean you will be able to race Cat3 or will you have to wait until the end of season?
  • jordan_217
    saprkzz wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:
    saprkzz wrote:

Yeah that sounds like great prep, I havent been on a fast club run yet as they dont start until the clocks change, so at the moment, Saturday is a steady pace ride with no attacks, but in the week they do a 30 mile loop with hill attacks, fast chain gang and sprints for the sign, these are E/1/2/3 riders, so looking forward to that.

That will be awesome if you get all the points, does that mean you will be able to race Cat3 or will you have to wait until the end of season?

According to my BC dashboard, I've got the 10 points and Race License Cat is now 3rd! :shock: So I'm assuming it's effective from now. The series I've entered is a Regional A classification and is open to 2/3/4 cats, so I can still do the remaining 3 races regardless.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Wow, thats awesome news! Lol. Perfect start to the season, alot less pressure on you now! :)