How do you Commute?

GLevitt
GLevitt Posts: 2
edited February 2013 in Commuting general
Hi, my name is George, I am University student at the University at Hertfordshire studying Industrial Design, for my final project i am looking into ways of improving cycling safety. I need your help!!

If you could take 2 Minutes to fill out my survey It will help me greatly.

Many thanks in advance

George

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WBQ9RTX

Comments

• alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    edited February 2013
    Done but really don't see how answers to those questions are going to help you improve road safety! You are probably better off going to the Stop SMIDSY site and reading some of the horror stories, or watch the videos on YouTube.

Good luck btw.
  • All done.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    Done.

You may be better off asking how far in miles a commute is. Time to complete a given distance can vary a lot depending on traffic and terrain.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • caad5
    caad5 Posts: 76
    done
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Done

Two hour commute for me so well outside time given and I ride folding bike, hybrid and mountain bike dependant upon weather and time of year.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My commute is 'Urban to Rural' or 'Rural to Urban' depending on which way I go, I can't tick both as it won't let me!

Time in minutes is not a length of commute.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    As an ex-industrial design student to another I'm wondering what you are trying to determine from the survey? It's all good to ask what equipment is used but if you're interested in safety then why no questions about what risks are faced or perceived by the cyclist, how they are mitigated, what kind of roads the cyclist uses, how experienced they are etc.? The time spent on commute is too narrowly banded and you should also be asking about distances. Also about what weather conditions are ridden in is also relevant. You might also look for suggestions from the survey taker on what they think might improve matters

If you are looking at 'safety' devices then you basically have 4 options - improved visibility of the cyclist on the road (e.g. hi-viz, lights), improved awareness for the cyclist of road conditions / hazards (e.g. lights, mirrors), reliability improvements to the bike (braking, tyres etc.) and last resort: impact reduction (protective gear). I suppose there's also road / street furniture and infrastructure but that might be outside your remit.