Tiagra STI levers

gbsahne001
gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
edited February 2013 in The workshop
I was planning to use a triple LH lever on a double chainset and front mech, is there any reason people can think of, why this won't work?

The reason I ask is that the LH shifter has a note from Shimano attached stating "cannot be used on double chainset". Is there any real reason for this, as I've used triple shifters on double front mechs before with no discernible problems.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm not aware of any reason why it wouldn't work....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gbsahne001
    nor I, but Shimano state
    Shimano wrote:
    The lever is for use with triple front chainwheels, and cannot be used with double front chainwheel products

I suspect they're worried that some cheapskate is going to use a triple in place of a double shifter, as it was half the price!
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    Not aware of any reason, but probably best set it up to use the two higher gears on the shifter. I think there have been problems with setting it up to use the two lower gears, and then shifters getting broken when accidentally trying to upshift against the mech limit. It wouldn't surprise me if the warning is simply to avoid warranty claims when this happens.
  • Does the double and triple pull the same amount of cable?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    It probably dates back to the problems Shimano had with the 5603 105 shifter. It was originally sold as a single shifter that could be used for doubles or triples, but people would set them up to use the two lowest positions in the shifter and then break them by overshifting.

As long as you use the top positions on the shifter then you'll be fine.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • gbsahne001
    pdw wrote:
    Not aware of any reason, but probably best set it up to use the two higher gears on the shifter.

I'd not really considered this aspect of it, as I've set other doubles up with triple shifters but used the bottom two positions, reasoning that as I'm going to be riding it, I know which gear I'm in.

On the newbuild though I might take this advice, as it's possibly going to be sold shortly after it's built up.
  • gbsahne001
    I can report that as suspected, it was Shimano either trying to sell doubles or as other's have suggested protecting themselves if used in this configuration.

Fitted and working well, it's a shame that I've had to get rid of the Dura Ace shifters but when the RH no longer shifts, there didn't seem to be a lot of point using them.

I thought I could save the bar tape but alas, not the case..... any suggestions? was looking at the Cinelli Bubble Bar Tape
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    pdw wrote:
    Not aware of any reason, but probably best set it up to use the two higher gears on the shifter. I think there have been problems with setting it up to use the two lower gears, and then shifters getting broken when accidentally trying to upshift against the mech limit. It wouldn't surprise me if the warning is simply to avoid warranty claims when this happens.

+1 - they can and will break if forced into the big ring position. I'm using a triple LH lever on a double using the middle and outer positions, works fine, only downshifted accidentally a copuple of times and all that happens is the cable goes a bit slack. shift back up, no problem.