PC vs Mac

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited February 2013 in The cake stop
As per my Mac post I believe in showing 2 sides to each story so here is my list of 5 reasons why PC's are rubbish.

1. Generally they look pants!
You can't get away from the fact that PC's in most forms look sh*t. Mostly they are generic plastic boxes or slabs (desktop or laptop) and offer little in the way of design flair. Some companies are making a real effort but on the whole I find pretty much all the PC's I come across as being about as exciting to look at as a 80's microwave. Apple products have always looked slick

2. Virus Infection.
As I stated in my other post Viruses can affect both Mac and PC but the fact is that PC's are more popular and such do run a higher risk of infection.

3.Ease of migration.
On a mac its very simple to pick up your OS setup and move over to another OSX platform, simple and effective. To do the same thing on a PC you need 3rd party software like Acronis (which as many of you may have noticed is far from reliable ! )

4. Cool Factor.
Ok so not really about function but the fact is Mac's look slick. No ifs or buts they just do. THE END.

5. Residual Value.
Say you do spend £1000 on a mac book, whilst the initial cost is expensive you can be sure that as long as you don't use it a door stop you should be able to get a good chunk of your cash back if you decide to put it back on eBay (or Satan's bottom as I call it). Just have a look if you don't believe me, there are G4's from the back in the stone age going for £200 + !!

In answer to all the negative comments on the MAC posts - The whole point of these posts is to ignite debate and comments (both good and bad).

I have now personal preference to MAC or PC. I have both, I use a old G4 at home for watching iPlayer and general stuff, I have a Ubuntu box for my Media Centre and I use a Windows 7 Pro machine for work (Full compatability with Outlook etc)

Thoughts ?

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    pants!

:D

bit technical can you make it less abstruse.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    I love a good flame war {rubs hands}.

Yes, the PC world is deeply flawed, and Microsoft does itself (or anyone else) few favours with its odd attitude towards customers. That said, I find Apple's mission statement deeply disturbing.

"Do it our way and nobody gets hurt. Have a nice day."
    :|
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Yep, if aesthetics is important, irrespective of cost, get a Mac. I don't think anyone is arguing that Apple gear isn't beautiful and exceptionally well made.

I replace my primary PC every three to four years, and I always start from scratch, because I want total control over what gets installed on it, from the OS up. So migration isn't an issue. And nor are viruses. Nor is reliability - that's a red herring nowadays. My computer has Windows 7 on it, is on continuously, is doing actual work nearly 365x24x7, gets rebooted less than twice a month, and hasn't crashed once in over a year.

So for me, it comes down to cost. On the desktop, I have three monitors, a core i7, 16GB RAM, 6TB of hard disk, a fast-booting SSD for the OS and primary applications, decent-ish GFX for FPSs up to Crysis, and it's the other side of my desk (so I have no interest in aesthetics) and nearly silent. All for less than about 1300 quid. Fancy speccing up a Mac for me that can do all that for less than three grand?

On the laptop I have a Samsung that cost a shade under 700 quid. 1600x900, so not full HD, but staggeringly bright, matte, so I see the information on it, not my reflection, and core i5 with 8GB RAM and a hybrid HDD.

It's fast, light, thinnish, not as gorgeous as a Mac, but still lovely, has a proper keyboard and number pad, and cost about half as much as the closest spec MacBook would.

If people want to buy a Mac, cool. I'm not a Mac basher at all, despite there being various reasons why it would be a really bad choice for me. But albeit fashionable, the constant knocking of Windows-based computers is usually based on out-of-date prejudices that have no place in adult discussion any more.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?