Are Garmin Etrex's repairable?

Jim Newmark
Jim Newmark Posts: 151
edited February 2013 in Commuting general
I saw my precious Etrex 30 become roadkill yesterday. It could have been it bouncing from the holder (my fault, I hadn't clicked it in properly) or it could have been the following car running over it. Whatever, the screen is cracked at the top and it does not switch on.
Does anybody know if it is truly dead or can they be repaired? I can't do without it so have ordered a replacement (but a 20, I never used the compass or barometer) but they are pretty robust little things (I don't blame it for smashing yesterday!) and it would be a shame to just throw it away

Comments

• boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    Send it back to Garmin (speak to them first). They normally do replacements at reduced ££'s.
  • Thanks for this. They do too - just rung them and they are about half price (£88) on return of the damaged unit. I somehow thought that broken is broken and just wish I had posted for advice before ordering a new one, but perhaps not too late to cancel. If it IS too late then either my brother is on track to get a very expensive birthday present or it is a trip to Ebay.
  • boblo
    Assuming 'ordering' means mail ordering, the Distance Selling Regs dictate 7 days no fault return. Just send it back :-)
  • Now I DO feel stupid! I never thought of that either. But I have already raised expectations brother-wise ...... I don't think any amount of posting is going to get me out of that one.
  • boblo
    Are you looking for any more brothers? :D