edited February 2013 in Your mountain bikes
6823281275_145649027d_b.jpg

This is my 2006 Giant XTC full carbon
Mavic 717 rims on hope hubs and Nobby Nics
Drivechain is all XT and XTR carbon
Ritchey WCS bars, bar ends and seatpost
Fox F100 forks
Avid Juicy 7 carbon brakes with goodridge
Fizik Gobi saddle (super comfy on longer rides!)

Originally it was a Spesh Epic which I dismantled and rebuilt onto a aluminium Giant XTC. Liked the frame so much I got hold of the carbon version and rebuilt again. Weighs in at 10.2kg for the weight weenies! Where do I shave off 200g for the magic sub 10kg?? Maybe some of them £45 Eclipse innertubes! :twisted:

Love riding hardtails -- I've had this on smooth stuff, Kielder 100, Dyfi Enduro, down the uplift XC trail at Fort Bill and all sorts. Remember when I did my first test which was the Rough Ride in Wales and it felt so good uphill and the carbon has flex when bouncing downhill! Almost feels like riding a real small travel full susser but alot more fun! :D

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Very nice.....

Easiest way to loose that weight is to loose the bar ends!

Next easiest is to go 1x...

Lighyweight tubes are about 120g, medium weight 160, regular 220g, what have you now? I use Schwalbe 26 x 1.0-1.5 tubes inside tyres upto 2.25" without issues - 120g for £3.99!

Ritchey seatposts aren't the lightest, if the bars are alloy, decent carbons will shed you 100g.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mavic 717 rims on hope hubs

Weight to be lost there - move to some proper lightweight hubs, A2Z, DT, Tune, AM Classic for an easy 100g.
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Are the Nics wired or folding? If they are wired go for folding, surely a couple hundred grams to be lost there. Otherwise as mrmonkfinger said, the wheels. They are a large percentage of weight on the bike so is probably a good place to start!
  • dweben
    dweben Posts: 34
    I love bar ends! Don't see how people on without them especially when sprinting up climbs. They're so much more efficient than getting cramped up, elbows inwards, like the hardcore XC people do.. And yeah the bars/post are aluminium 'cos they cost about 1/3 of the carbon versions and there wasn't much weight difference.

Have thought about 2x10 shifting but the triple has actually been useful on things like Rough Ride where there's a bit of a climb which tops out at 34% (on my GPS...). Or when I'm just plain knackered. Plus it works fine. 8)

I thought Mavic 717s were pretty lightweight? They were when I got them anyway. The Hope hubs have been bit of a waste of money. I've cracked two rear hubs and they roll far less efficiently than my old Shimano Deore hubs do. What's a good light wheelset for about £250 nowadays? The Mavics have been bombproof -- only broken one and that one was on my commuter mtb!

The Nobby's are folding to save on the weight. With Maxxis Ultralite tubes (0.6mm) sitting inside.

Maybe some dodgy overseas titatnium rotor bolts would be nice, or some custom lightweight rotors! The G2s could sink submarines!
  • Not a weight weenie so can't help there. What I can say is, I really like your Giant. I've not seen one locally - gotta love the carbon

Paul
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • As a Giant fan and XTC owner,I love this.I always liked the carbon XTC myself but ended up with an Anthem. Tne Anthem is great but I still like the XTC and can`t bear to part with it despite it being old now.

Have a look at the Superstar wheels.They have a £300 set with their Switch/Superleggera hubs with Stans Crest rims which come in at 1520g. 717s are good strong rims but not as light as Stans Crests.I reckon there`s about a 200g saving to be had there,which comes partly frOm the rims but also from the spokes.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=497

I bet you`d get a reasonable amount back on the existing wheels via ebay too,to offset against the new ones too.

I find my Racing Ralphs not much less grippy than my Nobby Nics and they are 40g a piece lighter, or at least run one on the back and keep the Nobby Nic at the front.

A very easy way to lose 100g or so is to look at KCNC Razor rotors for a cost of about £40 . Other cheap optionS would be to look at some ESI Racers Edge foam grips,which at 50g could shave 60 g or more off conventional lock on grips,and a pair of MT Zoom qr wheel skewers,45g for about £25.

I have a Gobi on my XTC.Its a great saddle but not the lightest. If you got on with a Selle Italai SLR that would be 70g or so gone.

Your target looks achieveable but as always depends on your budget! :D
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    dweben wrote:
    And yeah the bars/post are aluminium 'cos they cost about 1/3 of the carbon versions and there wasn't much weight difference.
    About 100g each which would be your 200g....

Wider bars mean no silly XC racer elbows in and are lighter than bar ends....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Take the cover off your gobi, usually good for 60-100g saving and costs you nothing.

The rocket rons are also silly light and quite grippy.