Chain guide help, e13 and raceface compatibility

davidwhitehead
davidwhitehead Posts: 17
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I am in need of help before I get even more lost with this.
I have tried to fit a e13 ss+ chain guide using a race face ride Xc crank. All has been fitted as per instructions, and I have now cut away the granny ring bolts to stop them rubbing.
Unfortunately the lower guide and chainring do not line up, BUT there is no spacers being used on the guide back plate and the lower wheel is too far out, where do I go from here?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    more info needed.

what BB type?
    what BB width?

how is the device mounted? BB mount or ISCG mount?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BB width is 73mm, type is hollow tech type, race face bottom bracket, and using a bb mount iscg adaptor. The bb should have 1 spacer on drive side which is now replaced with the iscg adaptor plate.
  • nicklouse
    will not work.

new frame or new cranks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Is it just these cranks? Any idea which ones will work?
    The answer I didn't want but expected!

Thanks
  • nicklouse
    it is any X type and some Sram GXP that cause issues.

also as you dont have ISCG mount the adaptor is causing extra issues. a plain BB mount would be better.
  • Cheers for the help, I will seek an alternative!
  • nicklouse
    an easy option will be a Shimano HT2 as there is about 5mm you can play with if you really need to it.

you could also look at fitting the ISCG adaptor the wrong way around if it will on the frame.

but the RF X type is the hardest to make work with a BB mount device and 73mm BB it is very rare to get them to work.
  • Will look at that tomorrow, but I will look for a hollow tech
    Thanks again
  • All sorted now, nice set of deore lx cranks fitted and no cutting needed. Exelent advice and help from someone who knows what they are talking about.

Cheers!