29er tyres ?

RandG
RandG Posts: 779
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
What's hot and what's not in the 29er tyre range.

Mainly for xc use !

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Would a forum search not have sufficed? This has been asked a million times. Plus most 29er tyres are identical to the 26 inch ones they are based on.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Round rubbery ones.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • RandG
    Ohh the banter !

Thanks for fuck all guys, now move along if you don't mind.
  • Here's a sensible suggestion for you -

I'm currently running the stock tyres which came on my 29er which are coping with the mud/ice/snow perfectly well and roll easily on tarmac too - it's a popular combo.....

Maxxis Ardent 2.25 front, Maxxis Ikon 2.2 rear, light enough for fast XC, grippy and sturdy enough for a bit of "gnar".

Hope this helps.
  • There is a school of thought that reckons that you can get away with faster rolling tyres on a 29er due to the bigger tyre footprint.

I`ve ridden my mate`s On On Scandal 29er with Kenda Small Block 8s and they worked well.

I`ve seen good reviews on Maxxis Beavers too. There`s some 29er tyre reviews in the kit section here and on Bikemagic.

http://bikemagic.com/gear/maxxis-beaver-2-0-29er-exc-tyre-review.html#slide-1

As ever with tyre reviews you need to read carefully and think about where and how you ride.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • RandG
    The bike I have came with Schwlabe racing ralph on the rear and a Rocket Ron on the front, very fast xc tryes, however I don't think they suit the type of stuff I ride thru, hence why I'm looking for alternatives, also, I believe they are quite this walled tyres so again, not really suitable to the type of terrain I ride.
  • The Ardent suggestion is probably quite good then.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo