Big rings

ste_t
ste_t Posts: 1,599
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Been sorting through the parts ready for getting my new frame back from the lbs on Friday and it turns out my new 9sp Deore chainset is a 48/36/22 rather than the 44/32/22 that I thought I had ordered. (I didn't, I've checked and I have been sent exactly what I ordered.)

Will I really notice a massive difference between them?

I used to run an slx double 36/22 setup and found that I occasionally ran out of gears and I am a fair bit fitter now I'm training for the cruddy c2c, so I would rather keep the 36 middle ring. I did Sherwood pines a few weeks back and did Cannock yesterday both only using the big ring on my 29er xc hardtail, though that is a 10sp 42/32/24 and I am sure that my new Dialled Alpine build would not go uphill so easily even using the same gearing.

As a new matching deore outer ring is about £23, if it is worth swapping I might aswell sell the lot and but a new chainset!

My other thought was just running the 22 inner with a 38 middle with a bash to go with my 11-34 cassette.

Any advice gratefully received

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what wheel size is it going on?

and how open are you to really playing with the ring sizes?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Its for 26" wheels. I ran a 36/22 on my old Bfe, so I know that the same gearing wouldn't be enough on the Alpine as they are quite similar but I'm now fitter.

I'd rather less faffing to be honest rather than buying/trying/selling etc etc.

The 29er will mostly be for londer rides whereas the Alpine will be for tackling more technical stuff, general messing about on and for when I head back to North Wales for a ride.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I had the 48/36/22 on a Trek 6700. Although the 48 is quite high geared, the 36 is really quite nice.

If you are really worried, you could buy a 44 ring and replace the 48. Or use a different cassette, perhaps one that uses a 13T for its highest gear, something like a 13-34, assuming they are made.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    IMO a 48t off road is no use at all. On the road it'll come in handy, so depends on what you're using the bike for.
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    48t 12t was standard gearing for mtb's 20 years ago you'll be fine. nothing wrong with pushing a harder gear :-)
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    craigw99 wrote:
    48t 12t was standard gearing for mtb's 20 years ago you'll be fine. nothing wrong with pushing a harder gear :-)
    That was before singletrack was invented. They also neglected suspension and suchlike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It was also when 50rpm cadance was considered right, not 100rpm!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    We had mighty tree trunk legs in those days, not shaven skinny lycra clad twigs.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Who is this We to whom you refer oh spindle legged one?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.