Shimano m475 rear hub frustration!!!

andymc06
andymc06 Posts: 245
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I noticed play in my rear hub a couple of days ago. It is an m475 shimano cup and cone hub. I bought some new bearings. Took it apart, cleaned it, replaced the bearings and re-greased it. I put it back together and tightened the cones as per the park tools guide. When I put the wheel back into the frame the brake disc fouled the frame.

I put this down to the cone and lock ring on the non-drive side being a couple of rotations further in which is necessary to eliminate play. The frame is clamped against the lock ring by the quick release therefore the frame is a mm or two nearer the disk. When I loosen off the cone and lock ring the disc moves in enough relative to the frame to clear it but the axel has play.

I have adjusted and re-adjusted to find the sweet spot between minimising play and the wheel being able to rotate freely but I just can't find it.

Am I missing something or is the hub knackered? It all seemed fine on inspection but this is my first attempt!

Would a washer between lock nut and cone solve the problem, allowing the cone to be tightened but the lock ring to sit further out?

Thanks in advance

Andy :?
If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011

Comments