29er IN a Smart car?

eddiefiola
eddiefiola Posts: 344
edited February 2013 in MTB general
Anyone have a Smart car and can fit their bike inside?

Have a 29er and in need of some cheap transportation to actually get to some tracks, by the time i get to some decent places to ride form where I am I'm already knackered.

A 2nd hand Smart over here can be got for around 2K euro, could buy a Ford Ka or something a little bigger like that but also like the fact the Smart can easily find a parking space as we only have room for one car in our allotted space.

Aware there are some bike racks that fit a Smart too but not sure I can be arsed with putting it up and taking it down, much easier if possible just to take the wheels off and sling the bike inside.

Comments

• Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Somewhere between Bob Hope and No Hope.
  • foy
    foy Posts: 296
    you might just get the wheels in lol.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Only briefly sat in a smart car and imagine its hard to fit a kids bike in there!

I think car rack is the only option. The car isn't rated for a tow bar but you can still fit a special bike rack to it. There would be very little faffing around.
  • Rucks
    Rucks Posts: 93
    They were advertised as being able to fit a washing machine in the back? (Mk2 version)
    Once went to Mercedes at brooklands and they had one on show with a washer in the back, the seats were both pushed that far forward there was no way anybody was going to drive it.
    My younger brother bought a brand new cabriolet version about 4 years ago, he thought it was fantastic for about 6 months until the practicality of owning 1 became to much to bare, they are awful, handle terrible, are tiny inside and useless on a M-way.
    Save yourself the hassle and get a polo or similar ( not the Ka they too are pants ) and stick a roof rack on the top.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Are you talking about a For-Four or a For-Two?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    slow, unreliable , look shit and unless you play with people s hair for a living just wrong
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • if its the four-two you have more chance of fitting it into a 29er.

OP why not just look for a small hatch like a fiesta, polo, saxo or similar
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ignore them, it will fit with no problem.
    As long as you don't want to get in as well and drive anywhere.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks for all the replies.

snoopsmydogg my dogs called Snoop ;)

Just for clarification this wouldn't be my main car, i work from home so don't need a car for anything apart from getting my bike to some trails (hence something small and cheap), the wife drives the main car all week so we have something for motorways etc. not sure I would drive a Smart on the Motorway but having seen a crash test that Top Gear did seems they aren't as bad as some make out.

Was thinking about the small one, the For-Two but I think I may as well nail it on the head, although I have a friend in the US who is going by a bike shop with his Smart to see if a 29er would fit in anyway

Kinda decided that I may as well just get something like a Renault Kangoo http://www.autoscout24.de/Details.aspx?id=227346083&cd=634952763500000000&asrc=st|fs , and then just rent an extra parking space for it.

Only issue now is finding what companies/models are approved to drive through the city here as apparently not all cars are cleared for city driving due to emissions? or something.
  • Ive just bought a nissan micra (dont laugh!!) 1.3 with taz and mot for £175!!
    Im 6'4" and can just about fit my XL framed Orange clockwork 29er in it if i take front wheel off and have back seats flat and still drive it fine. Though front passenger seat is angled forward a bit. Im sure if took back wheel off too i could have a passenger in the car too.
    Im quite impressed with the car too, its lightweight and nippy and cheap to run so all thinkgs considered its great for takin my bike to the trails!

If its just a cheap car you want for taking your bike to trails it doesnt matter to much does it? Plenty of cheap 3 door small cars out there. micras, fiestas, corsas and saxos. Surely a fiesta or corsa would be better than a kangoo?!

If you do decide to get a kangoo, test drive it first!! I drive some for work which are adjusted to accomodate wheelchairs in the bac and they lean a LOT goin round corners! Very soft suspension on them. Its comfy on straights but bounces and wallows on corners and bumps.
  • andy_welch
    andy_welch Posts: 1,101
    Well it would fit in out ForFour no problem, but I guess that's no help. I notice that none of the people saying that it's impossible have tried though. Presumably the passenger seat will fold down so you've got the whole of one side to play with, so it might work. Personally I'd be tempted to pitch up at my local Merc/Smart dealer with my bike and say that I'm interested in buying a Smart, but only if it can fit my bike in. If there's a way, they'll find it. Of course, if there isn't, they'll try and sell you an A class instead.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've had a roadbike in a soft bike bag in a FourTwo so a 29er may be possible. Sold car so can't try it for you. Passenger seat folded flat and simply pushed bag into place.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've seen a roadbike in a Morgan in the passenger footwell/on the seat (Henry Catchpole, EVO magazine), so I wouldn't say it's NOT doable, you need to try it out, wheels off for sure!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Yup, wheels off for starters!

I managed to fit my Minxy in my old Boxster once (clean bike - wouldn't work if it was muddy!) and can fit one MTB quite happily in the back of my Mini these days with the rear seats folded flat. I think this largely works because I am short and therefore drive with my seat all the way forward anyway, and have very small bikes though :lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Once managed three bikes and four humans in a Seat Leon.

Was horrible.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Managed 3 bikes and 4 people in my old Subaru Forester no problems, the big square boot was great for bikes! Once had 5 bikes (4 on the rack on the rack on the back) and 5 people and 2 coolboxes with lunch to the chase.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hi there

Before i brought my 1st Smart Car Bike rack i removed the front wheel from the bike layed flat the passenger seet with a blanket around the bike and put the whole bike into the car.
    Its very comfortable and if you take your time its a great way to use a smart if you do not own a bike rack.

Now im selling 1 of 3 bike racks for my car because we sold 1 of the cars.

here a link to a description of the rack and how it looks on a smart car if it helps anybody.http://www.destinationsmart.co.uk/forums/thread.cfm?threadID=1072

truly a great car to have with a bike- the car is so small you can fit it into some great safe places in the country side then get on the bike perfect summer bike car..
    :D