Buying over the phone / cancelling order..

DodgeT
DodgeT Posts: 2,255
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Just trying to understand my options here.

Ordered some wheels using credit card over the phone early last week. Was told that parts were in stock and would be with me within 2 to 3 days. Several calls to the company and i'm now being told that they hadn't / haven't got the parts in stock and are hoping to get them to me soon, but cannot give a date.

Circumstances have changed in that I may not need these now. Am I within my rights to ring them up and tell them to cancel my order and refund me, due to no goods being received within the time I was promised?

Would this fall into the typical DSR rules?

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    DodgeT wrote:
    Would this fall into the typical DSR rules?

I would say yes, based on your writeup. It may be different with bespoke build stuff though - most wheel makers say they will take them back but charge you for the build labour and inconvenience.

Merlin's returns policy: " * Merlin Cycles cannot accept the return of custom built/specially ordered products such a bicycles and wheels (including disc and wheel kits) as these products are built to each customers requirements. Please note: As 50% of the wheel costs are incurred within the labour charges to handbuild it, if you change or cancel a wheel order this cost will be deducted from any refund."

However it sounds like they havent incurred any labour or started doing the build yet, so an outright cancellation should be you right - in my opinon...
  • DodgeT
    Read their returns policy on the website, nothing wheel specific on there, states they fully comply with DSR even giving up to 14 days after receipt of goods.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    DSR applies, just phone and cancel.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DodgeT
    Cheers both.
  • robpow
    robpow Posts: 10
    Agree with the previous comments. Plus, surely the wheels can't both be in stock and a custom order at the same time? I would have thought those statements would largely be mutually exclusive.