The hunt for new wheels continues....

millsey_awm
millsey_awm Posts: 54
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Still on the hunt for a wheelset upgrade. I've started to stray from my original choice of Fulcrum Racing Quattro's, maybe for these....

http://shop.kinetic-two.co.uk/2013-kinetic-one-gipiemme-k1-40s-40mm-deep-alloy-wheels-road-time-trial-triathlon-bike---black-98-p.asp

Apparently they are still suitable for heavier riders (18st +). I know they have a lowish spoke count due to being aero, but will the rim depth and Sapim spoke strength counteract that?

Need to pull the trigger on some new kit soon :mrgreen:

Thanks as always folks :D

Comments

• If you are 18st+ go for handbuilts with 36 spokes - unless your crazy rich and have spare sets. Find Ugo his rep for quality work is soaring.
  • Have you checked the weight on those?! Over 2kg!! Move on.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Have you checked the weight on those?! Over 2kg!! Move on.

With me being 18st 7, i was looking for durability rather than wheel weight. At my weight i don't think 500g here and there is going to make much difference :)
  • No, but they're fucking heavy and have very few spokes.

You're unlikely to be good enough to take advantage (if there is one) of the "aero" features and yet you're happy to sacrifice the weight and spoke count of a decent set of handbuilts (32 or 36 spoke).

Admit it, you're just a tart that wants a set to look good!

(Oh, and just in case you're wondering, I was 115kg - 18st+ when I started riding road bikes again).
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • No, but they're ******* heavy and have very few spokes.

You're unlikely to be good enough to take advantage (if there is one) of the "aero" features and yet you're happy to sacrifice the weight and spoke count of a decent set of handbuilts (32 or 36 spoke).

Admit it, you're just a tart that wants a set to look good!

(Oh, and just in case you're wondering, I was 115kg - 18st+ when I started riding road bikes again).

Yep i want a set to look fairly good but not overly bothered about aero or spoke count too much. Just want them to be pretty bomb-proof and no more than £300 ideally. And look good :mrgreen:

Apart from their weight then is there anything else wrong with them?

Any other suggestions in the 24mm+ rim depth area?

Cheers :D
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Hand built wheels are your best bet. Send a Private Message to Pablo aka ugo.santalucia on this forum, he has built wheels for 2 friends of mine and they are very happy.
  • Hi all,

Still on the hunt for a wheelset upgrade. I've started to stray from my original choice of Fulcrum Racing Quattro's, maybe for these....

http://shop.kinetic-two.co.uk/2013-kinetic-one-gipiemme-k1-40s-40mm-deep-alloy-wheels-road-time-trial-triathlon-bike---black-98-p.asp

Apparently they are still suitable for heavier riders (18st +). I know they have a lowish spoke count due to being aero, but will the rim depth and Sapim spoke strength counteract that?

Need to pull the trigger on some new kit soon :mrgreen:

Thanks as always folks :D

Why looking for something suitable when you can have something made for you weight? If you weigh over 100 Kg, bespoke is your best bet. If you are not excessively fussy about the colour of the nipples or the size of the stickers, they might turn out to be competitive or cheaper than wheels made in A factory for someone lighter
    left the forum March 2023
  • Gippiemmi wheels are excellent,,,go for it.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Yep i want a set to look fairly good but not overly bothered about aero or spoke count too much. Just want them to be pretty bomb-proof and no more than £300 ideally. And look good :mrgreen:

Apart from their weight then is there anything else wrong with them?

Any other suggestions in the 24mm+ rim depth area?
    Cheers :D

if your a big chap than you should be bothered about spoke count - more spokes = more bomb proof / strength.

Fancy spoke patterns are for show only and strictly for lightweights, you want plenty of spokes distributed evenly.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    As others have said, go hand built. Either Ugo who others have used here, or I can recommend Harry Rowland http://www.harryrowland.info/
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Or buy some low spoke count wheels from EPO Delivery Man that never break...allegedly. :-)

IME I would say handbuilt 36 spoke is the way to go fo you.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Thanks for the advice, more food for thought.

I was wondering if anybody knows any handbuilts that would also supply and fit a cassette for me as well?
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Thanks for the advice, more food for thought.

I was wondering if anybody knows any handbuilts that would also supply and fit a cassette for me as well?
    That's the beauty of hand builts, they are being built to your specification by a human being, so all you have to do is ask them, I'm sure they would give you a price.
  • Thanks for the advice, more food for thought.

Mmmhhh, that sounds like a tough ask... :lol:
    You just supply your builder the cassette and he'll fit it for you free of charge... it takes 1 minute to fit a cassette... only someone with mental issues would charge you for that
    left the forum March 2023
  • Sorry to resurrect my post.

Was wondering about my options if i could not afford handbuilts.

What would be my best bet of wheel choice from all of the factory built models?

Something like the Fulcrum Racing 5? ?
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    why do you need to upgrade? have you battered your existing wheelset ? or just fancy it?
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,118
    Go handbuilt, seriously. I got a quote from Harry Rowland for about £200 for Mavics on 105, 32 spoke. Job done. Look in C+ back issues, lots of handbuilts tested. Try also Spa, Ugo, your LBS (if they're any cop, mine isn't)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Loads of options under 300 pounds with hand builds. Far better value than factory.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Was wondering about my options if i could not afford handbuilts.

Surely if you actually contacted some wheelbuilders then you would know whether or not you could afford handbuilts – only then would you need to wonder about factory built wheels, no?