New to riding, What do people think to this for a first bike

baconater
baconater Posts: 72
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
well i am looking to get into road cycling, and have my eyes on a Specialized Allez XXL 2011 for £300.

The groupset is Shimano 2300 all through except cassette and chain which is SRAM 850. And is a triple front, 24speed.

Just wondering what people thought and whether its a good first bike to start with?
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow a Mystery, Today is a Gift, Thats why it's called the Present

so im grabbing my bike and going for a ride

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    The Allez is a good frame and ripe for upgrades if you wish in the future.

For £300 it seems like a reasonable deal.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • It will be fine. Don't worry about specs. :)
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    How tall are you? A 61cm is a really biiiig bike!
  • I'm 6ft 8
    Yesterday is History, Tomorrow a Mystery, Today is a Gift, Thats why it's called the Present

so im grabbing my bike and going for a ride
  • Baconater wrote:
    I'm 6ft 8
    You ever thought of basketball.....or a ladderless peeping tom :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Still got the Specialized Allez Sport (2001) I started out on. Still in great condition although I didn't ride it for 5 or 6 years, only really got back into it last season and can't wait for the better weather to come in.

It might also be worth considering the Btwin Triban 3 which will be similairly equipped and is stocked at Decathlon. It's widely regarded as the best bike available at the £300 mark.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-red-road-bike-id_8274036.html

I assume the Specialized is second hand or is it old stock you managed to find?
    2013 Canyon Ultimate AL 7.0
    2003 Specialized Allez Sport
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Ok. They are good to about 6'7....