Rider down - Jamaica Road

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
Me!

Yesterday afternoon I was riding to a job in Rotherhithe along Jamaica Road, along the inside lane (in primary) with a fire engine in the outside lane. We were both doing about 10mph as we approached a red traffic light.
I did my usual shoulder check as I slowed for the light and saw a car behind the fire engine. I looked forward again and the the car cut across in front of me and despite slamming on the anchors I hit the back of the car the did a forward somersault*. I got up and charged towards the car and yanked the driver's door open.

In no uncertain terms I told the driver what I thought of his driving, his lack of observation skills and that driving like that gets people killed. He was extremely apologetic and I slammed his door, checked my bike over and continued my journey, as did he.

No harm done to me, the bike, him or the car. I was so angry with him that if he had said anything other than "Sorry" he would have been on the receiving end of my fist in his face. Repeatedly.

*I would quite like to see a video of the collision. My somersault was kind of like a slow motion dive off the bike (to avoid slamming down onto my side because that really hurts) then straight up to my feet and marched to the car.
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Glad you're ok, but what happened to Zen EKE?

Not saying you shouldn't be angry, but you never know what kind of nutcase will be behind the wheel.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Burndust
    Burndust Posts: 100
    glad your ok man...the whole reason i invested in a HERO HD Cam, been spun off a few times like that, the last time was the final straw some old git, that shouldn't be driving pulled out from a parking spot no indicator and didn't even relise i was there and despite me fying over the handlebars simply drove on oblivious
    Boardman CX Team
    Carerra Crossfire 2
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    Glad you're not hurt mate. I must confess if you yanked my door open and started yelling at me I'd apologise for just about anything.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    rjsterry wrote:
    Glad you're ok, but what happened to Zen EKE?

Not saying you shouldn't be angry, but you never know what kind of nutcase will be behind the wheel.

I'm zen up to the point of contact. After contact, all bets are off. You are right about nutcases though.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!