Trek Slash 7 vs Norco Truax 2 (2013 Models)

TheMushroom
TheMushroom Posts: 5
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hey everyone,

I have been searching for a new AM bike and I've narrowed it down to two, 2013 Trek Slash 7 http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mo ... h/slash_7/ ($3300, 1917.79 quid) and the
Norco Truax 2 ($2800, 1789.94 quid) http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/freeride/truax/

Both bikes seem good for downhill, low HT angles, 160mm+ suspension, 20mm thru axles, atc... But the Truax is quite cheaper than the Slash, and seems to have better suspension, 180mm coil vs 160mm air. This makes me wonder if the Truax sacrificed components elsewhere, any thoughts?. I am 6' 235lbs so I am leaning towards the Truax due to its coil shocks, anyone have experience on either or both of these bikes and care to share their input? Also, given my weight, do you think I would be fine on the Slash or should I lean towards coil suspension? Thanks for the input in advance.

P.S. Other suggestions welcome, trying to stay in the $3000/1917.79 quid range.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I wouldn't go for either to be honest. The Trek has a rubbish fork (I had the same one) and a frame which is known to be a bit weak. The Norco also has a rubbish fork, Talas 180 is just a poor fork.
    Do you want it just for downhill and freeride?
  • I am actually looking for an all-mountain bike, with a strong emphasis on downhill; I plan on riding it rather aggressively downhill. Eventually, in the future I will get a pure dh rig. I am not the most knowledgeable person on mountain bikes (hence I don’t feel competent to build my own) but here is the list of bikes I have looked at: Specialized Enduro Evo, Trek Remedy and Slash, Banshee Rune, Transition Bikes Covert 26 3, Giant Reign 1, Norco Truax 2, Ibis Mojo Sl, and the Nomad. All of which have been 2012 or 2013 models

Thus far based upon my weight and preferred riding style I have narrowed it down to the :
    Specialized Enduro Evo, Trek Slash, and Norco Truax 2. These have been my primary deciding factors,
    1) My weight, these bikes (the Slash being the exception) have coil sprung shocks, and
    2) Slack geometry. All of the other bikes seem to feature 15qr axles, thinner stanchions, and 67 degree+ HT angles. These all have HT angles 65-66 degrees, 20mm thru axles, 160mm+ suspension.

Upon doing some research one thing has been nagging me, my weight. I have read that for a person at my weight (235lbs) coil shocks/forks are preferred to air sprung shocks/forks, which would eliminate most my options. I was wondering if any of you could give you opinions to the validity of this idea?
    Do you think my weight is an issue? Should I be looking more at coil sprung options rather than air or is my weight not as big of a factor as I am thinking it is? Everyone's advice is greatly appreciated, I am hoping to pick-up a new bike next weekend.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I bought a Giant Reign X for what you want which is similar to the two bikes you you picked out. I found that it was too much hard work for XC riding because of the weight and slack geometry and it was too fragile and twitchy for downhill riding.
    I ended up selling the Reign X and buying a downhill bike and a all mountain hardtail which is working out much better for me.
    Coil suspension is generally better for downhill as it's not affected by heat like air suspension is but air suspension is better for XC riding because you get pro-pedal to help with climbs.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Where are you posting from, as those £ prices look way out to me.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I think he's just plugged the american price into a currency convertor, which is sadly not how it works.
  • cooldad
    Unless he's in America.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The prices in American $3000 and $2800 are what the LBS is selling those bikes at.
  • cooldad
    If your LBS is selling in $ it's probably not very local to most of us.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Your weight isn't an issue for air suspension.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Riding style is with cheaper air suspension in particular. Most air shocks don't work too well for downhill riding, they over heatand they don't react to small, high speed bumps as well as a coil shock will.
    With a coil shock you will want to find something with a lower spring rate so that you don't need a massively heavy spring. When I had my Reign X I was 16 stone and needed a 700lb spring which killed the small bump sensitivity but a Specialized Enduro would have needed a much lighter spring.
  • What are your opinions on the Specialized Enduro? You aren't the first person to mention that bike, it is one that I am considering.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Very nice ride. If you can, get a test ride on the Enduro & the longer travel, coil sprung Enduro Evo.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    I bought a Giant Reign X for what you want which is similar to the two bikes you you picked out. I found that it was too much hard work for XC riding because of the weight and slack geometry and it was too fragile and twitchy for downhill riding.
    I ended up selling the Reign X and buying a downhill bike and a all mountain hardtail which is working out much better for me.
    Coil suspension is generally better for downhill as it's not affected by heat like air suspension is but air suspension is better for XC riding because you get pro-pedal to help with climbs.

this

unfortunately i fear that "all mountain" is more marketing than actual practicality in terms of a bike that will "do it all"

if you want a bike that will thrash the downhills, then get a DH bike, and have a bike for trail use (at least this way you get 2 bikes)