New To Site

perkins360
perkins360 Posts: 40
edited February 2013 in MTB beginners
Hey everyone,

Just joined the forum after looking around for a few months.

Just really getting into Mountain Biking... however I am far to unfit at present lol. I went to Chase Trails at the weekend and really struggled through the Dog & Monkey Trails!! By the end, I could barely walk up the kills lol. Think I may have to do some working out before attempting again... but I will be back... and I will win!!

Anyway, just thought I would pop in and say hi :D
To find flow one must first quiet the common sense, he who questions his approach will find wrong answer on landing

Comments

• Oh, forgot to mention, my current bike is a naff £150 unbranded thing that got completely hammered on the trails... my bike of choice for upgrading... a Lapierre Zesty (Probably a 214, maybe a 314)
    To find flow one must first quiet the common sense, he who questions his approach will find wrong answer on landing
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Welcome....

Don't get put off by a horrid bike, a few simple changes can improve them out of site if you are minded to, otherwise I'd save up the £350-550 needed for a semi-decent hardtail first.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Welcome....

Don't get put off by a horrid bike, a few simple changes can improve them out of site if you are minded to, otherwise I'd save up the £350-550 needed for a semi-decent hardtail first.

Yeah I was looking at making a few changes to what I have but to be honest I bought it second hand and it's in quite bad shape. The amount I would need to fix/replace would essentially be me starting with just a frame.

I was looking at a hardtail as a starter (Rockhopper etc.) but having been to chase trails and intending to go here and many other places I think I'm just going to go all out and buy something that I will be happy with. I don't want to buy a hardtail and be wanting a FS a few months later
  • More suspension dosent always = better.

A £1000 hardtail will be a much better bike than a £1000 full susser.

The first time I did follow the dog it was on a halfords y frame. The second time I did it on a GT aggressor and the difference was night and day. This was even with cable disc brakes and rockshox dart forks!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My Daughter first did Cannock on a shonky old MTB, but most importantly it was running decent tyres, so good grip, lighter weight and better rolling than cheap ones.....and they can be moved to a new bike when you get it!

You could post a link to the bike specs and a picture in the buying advice forum for some suggestions on cheap upgrades.

If you really like it on your 'donkey', then by all means jump to a really good FS bike, but I'm more than happy on a hardtail even if my 40 something knees occasionally complain, a hardtail will always be lighter than an FS for anywhere near the same money spent making the heels easier.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • What I might do then is have a couple more trips to cannock chase & hire from the bike shop. One trip on a hard tail and one on a FS. Then I'll probably be in a good position to decide which I prefer.

Thanks for the advice though guys, I really appreciate it :)