Campagnolo - Miche or Tektro?

Riggsy12
Riggsy12 Posts: 156
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
What goes better with a Campagnolo groupset Miche or Tektro? Need 57mm brakes so choices are limited.

Comments

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Miche got good reviews in C+, seems more appropriate to have an Italian brand with Italian other bits

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It doesn't matter. It's not like they'll fight.

Have you got campag levers ? If so I'd get campag brakes.
  • Riggsy12
    cougie wrote:
    It doesn't matter. It's not like they'll fight.

Have you got campag levers ? If so I'd get campag brakes.

Yeh 9 speed Mirage levers/shifters. Campagnolo dont do 57mm drop brakes :(

Miche it is then cheers!
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Honestly the best 57mm drop brakes are Shimano R650s. They may not match but they are fantastic. I have them with a silver Veloce groupset and they look fine.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Shimano BR451 or BR650 if you dont mind paying a bit extra. Try Rose bikes for a cheap set.
  • Riggsy12
    Honestly the best 57mm drop brakes are Shimano R650s. They may not match but they are fantastic. I have them with a silver Veloce groupset and they look fine.

I think thats what came with my bike, buy I want a matching groupset 8)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Riggsy12 wrote:

I think thats what came with my bike, buy I want a matching groupset 8)

How will it be matching unless you got Campag brakes? :?
  • I'll put in a vote for Tektro: I have 737s on my main bike and they are great.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    As long as the pads are good and cartridge mounted, it's not really going to make any difference who made the calipers from any practical perspective so buy whichever you like. Miche seems more appropriate in terms of Italian vs US.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Rolf F wrote:
    As long as the pads are good and cartridge mounted, it's not really going to make any difference who made the calipers from any practical perspective so buy whichever you like. Miche seems more appropriate in terms of Italian vs US.

Some brakes have noticeably less flex than others. Less flex = better braking.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Rolf F wrote:

Well, I had some Tektros with Swissstop green pads.

I swapped them for Shimano BR451's with Swissstop green pads and the braking feels noticeably better.

I think the caliper arms are much stiffer.
  • Oxo
    Oxo Posts: 144
    I needed some deep-drop (57mm) dual-pivot calipers to match up with the Campag Gruppo on my Kinesis Racelight T2 I built, and had the same quandry.

I ended up using some Ambrosio Momentum calipers http://www.ambrosio.co.uk/ambrosio_brakes.htm. Teamed up with SwissStop Green cartridges they have proved to be great brakes over two winters now, can thoroughly recommend them. Reasonably priced too.

Cheers

Ox
    Sunday Best: 2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    Foul Weather: 2010 Kinesis Racelight T2
    Commuter: 1958 Holdsworth Zephyr Fixed Gear