Noob tyre question

grifterxl
grifterxl Posts: 16
edited February 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi

I use conti race kings 2.2 at the recommended 50 psi. Where i mostly ride is a kind of rural tarmac path with the odd muddy puddle so i think they provide all the grip i need and i am interested in the tyre being as speedy as possible.
I notice some people saying that they run them at 30 psi or lower. i am assuming this provides more grip but does it also increase the rolling resistance by lowering the psi on this tyre?

Cheers

Comments

• Yes it does, basically giving you more tyre in contact with the mud & better grip and feel. Plus it allows in cornering the tyre to move laterally but at the risk of a pinch puncture where the tyre rolls over so far to pinch the inner tube.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • would inflating my race kings to the max of 60 psi make them any faster at all?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Then get some slicks.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Not too sure as not familiar with that make of tyre, sorry.

As a general rule will depend on how are round the tyre any tread pattern goes & if increasing the pressure reduces the contact patch with the road. Though this is only in theory as would only work in a straight line, as when cornering and leaning the bike you would then be bringing the tread back into contact with the road.

The second benefit would be the increase in power transition from the wheel to the tyres as the higher the pressure the less movement in the sidewall - for an extreme practical version of this check out youtube and drag race cars warming their tyres up.

Though not sure from a mathematical point a 20% increase on a 2.2 tyre would make & I can't really do the maths at this time of night!!!
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Then get some slicks.

how much difference would slicks make? if I am averaging 13.5 mph over 13 miles on Conti race kings, how much faster could I expect the slicks to be?
  • grifterxl wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Then get some slicks.
    how much difference would slicks make? if I am averaging 13.5 mph over 13 miles on Conti race kings, how much faster could I expect the slicks to be?

I commute on my MTB for similar mileage.
    On knobblies (albeit lightish, fast-rolling Racing Ralphs), I am looking at about an hour.
    On Conti Travel Contact slicks, I'm taking about 50 minutes.

You don't save a massive amount of time, but it feels a lot easier on the road.
    But not as comfy - the knobblies give a slightly softer ride due to the lower psi.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Plus MTB tyres are soft to aid with grip on softer surfaces, by riding on the road you might be better with slicks that have a denser make up & will probably last longer.
  • grifterxl wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Then get some slicks.

Not sure how much faster but when I first got back into riding I started with a set of kenda nevegals which are good on the trails but sounded like an aeroplane taking off on the road. Swapped them over for a set of Schwalbe city jets to find less rolling resistance, better road manners and a much easier ride when pumped up to correct psi (about 60-80psi iirc). I since got a road bike for local rides and bought the mtb a pair of speed kings for the summer (if we see one this year).

OP why not try inflating your race kings to a higher pressure and see if there is a difference? It will make the ride a bit harsher but with less of a contact patch you should find they roll better.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    grifterxl wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Then get some slicks.

Doesn't matter what tyres you put on, a mountain bike is the wrong bike for what you are doing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My commuter is a Hybrid frame fitted with MTB finsihing kit and rolls on 26" slicks, I average about 19mph over 20 miles.....

Knobblies on the road are draggy, a mountain bike is heavier and less aerodynamic than a road orientated bike (Road or Hybrid) as well.

Slicks will last a lot longer as well, mine were bought used and I've done 3000miles and only just replaced the rear.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • grifterxl wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Then get some slicks.

Doesn't matter what tyres you put on, a mountain bike is the wrong bike for what you are doing.

well it's not exactly a road that I ride on , plenty of mud and bumps with roots growing through the path.
    I know a mountain bike is more suited to trails and the like but I would like the option to take it out to trails every now and then and can only afford to keep one bike
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Get some low profile MTB tyres/semi slicks. Will do a good job on both surfaces. A full slick will be lethal on mud or slime.

Kenda Small Block 8 is a good tyre.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Get some low profile MTB tyres/semi slicks. Will do a good job on both surfaces. A full slick will be lethal on mud or slime.

Kenda Small Block 8 is a good tyre.

are those much different from race kings?