Little Mountain TT 2013

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,553
edited May 2013 in Amateur race
I've just got my entry in for this, any other forum items doing it this year? I notice Ruth isn't the organiser this year so maybe she's going to show us how it's done on the road? In Ruth's absence I'll do her usual marketing bit and say if you've never entered before give it a go as it really is a fantastic and challenging time trial organised but a very good club. The weather can't be as bad as last year surely? 50mph gusts, temperatures barely above freezing and a bit wet - I was borderline hypothermic by the end!

image_zps222d5b32.jpg

Comments

• BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Pross wrote:
    I've just got my entry in for this, any other forum items doing it this year? I notice Ruth isn't the organiser this year so maybe she's going to show us how it's done on the road? In Ruth's absence I'll do her usual marketing bit and say if you've never entered before give it a go as it really is a fantastic and challenging time trial organised but a very good club. The weather can't be as bad as last year surely? 50mph gusts, temperatures barely above freezing and a bit wet - I was borderline hypothermic by the end!
    Not absent enough to fail to notice this Pross. Thanks for getting the ball rolling for 2013! I was just about to get something posted about this year's event. For the time being, though, here's a link to last year's thread about the Beacon Little Mountain TT, complete with photos of NapD in the shower!

28th April is the date for your diaries. Entries can be made online via the event website here

An event in wonderful Worcestershire for absolutely everyone, fast or slow, who enjoys a challenge and would like to see how fast they can go against the clock. No special TT bike needed - if you can ride 50 miles then you can complete 39 (hilly) miles in our TT.
    Pross wrote:
    ........... so maybe she's going to show us how it's done on the road?
    I wish I could say I had half the fitness I used to have Pross. :(

Ruth
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I'll be there, again! I must be mad but at least I'll be two stone lighter so I might make it up Ankerdine this time!
  • BeaconRuth
    Righto, it's great that Pross and Markos are coming back for more this year. Now, who else then? I gather that the entries are coming in nicely. Last year we had a full field plus reserves but nobody was turned away, so this truly is a time trial for all. Fast or slow, it's just a great event on a fabulous course. Even if you've never done a time trial in your life you'll love the challenge of this one. I'll dig out the video that was made of it in 2011......... just a minute..........

Ruth
  • BeaconRuth
    Rider battling across Bromyard Downs last year - it really was as wild and stormy as it looks! Pross wasn't exaggerating.

Beacon.jpg
  • markos1963
    Here's my proof of how bad it was, didn't care though it was a fabulous event
    imglmtt2012004.jpg
  • BeaconRuth
    There's an updated list of entries here

Plenty of time and space for more people to enter. Here's the link to the event website and details of how to enter. The weather is going to be a lovely warm, sunny spring day this year - I can feel it in my bones! :lol:

Ruth
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Just been discussing with mrsnapd as to whether I should mark my return to competitive cycling. The fact I'm shockingly unfit (we all say it but I've ridden about 45 miles since the 2nd week in jan) so would be doing it more to see if I could get round!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • napoleond
    Oops. Accidentally entered on line.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    So I can't TT and I can't climb. This sounds like such an ideal event for me.

Entered.
  • Slacey
    Slacey Posts: 78
    I'm now in too!
    Freelance Journalist
    ex-Team Cycling Plus 2011
    Three Boardmans and a Spesh,
    numerous test rigs
  • BeaconRuth
    Great NapD, VamP and Slacey! There's an updated list of entries received so far here

For anyone still thinking about this one, you have until Tuesday 16th to get your entry in.

Ruth
  • im in too, looks wonderful, well......
  • napoleond
    Just dug out my file from the 2010 event. Jeez. Dreading it now I've seen how hard I was working!

That said, I'm going to be a long way from competitive, been out of the game for two years...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • VamP
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Just dug out my file from the 2010 event. Jeez. Dreading it now I've seen how hard I was working!

That said, I'm going to be a long way from competitive, been out of the game for two years...

Share!
  • markos1963
    Start sheets arrived! I go off No17 so it's an early night for me! 2h43m12s last year, target this time is 2h30m. What's everybody else's goal?
  • VamP
    markos1963 wrote:
    Start sheets arrived! I go off No17 so it's an early night for me! 2h43m12s last year, target this time is 2h30m. What's everybody else's goal?

When you say it's arrived, what do you mean exactly? I have had no email and it's not on their website yet?

I don't really know what to expect timewise. I'd like to not be last :D My strategy is to ride a little below FTP, and see what happens... I'm sure I'll get all out of shape on the hills...
  • markos1963
    VamP wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

When you say it's arrived, what do you mean exactly? I have had no email and it's not on their website yet?

I don't really know what to expect timewise. I'd like to not be last :D My strategy is to ride a little below FTP, and see what happens... I'm sure I'll get all out of shape on the hills...

Arrived in the post this morning

Not sure I could ride at FTP for 2.5hrs especially with those timed climbs. I'll probably ride at my 50 mile pace and allow myself to go into the red for the climbs
  • VamP
    markos1963 wrote:

Not sure I could ride at FTP for 2.5hrs especially with those timed climbs. I'll probably ride at my 50 mile pace and allow myself to go into the red for the climbs

Snail mail! Awesome :)

By definition you couldn't ride at FTP for 2.5 hours, but I'll set off about 30 watts under, and then adjust pacing based on how hilly it is - not having ridden it I am not sure how else to pace it.
  • markos1963
    VamP wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

Snail mail! Awesome :)

By definition you couldn't ride at FTP for 2.5 hours, but I'll set off about 30 watts under, and then adjust pacing based on how hilly it is - not having ridden it I am not sure how else to pace it.

Living in Norfolk even a molehill is tough for me. It's all the 'ordinary' hills in between the timed climbs that astonished me last year. If you can get there the day before and ride/drive around the course it's well worth it.
  • napoleond
    I have no idea how I'll do. The two times I've done it I rode at about 95% FTP (Normalised Power).

I have no power meter this time. Two years ago the course was different and I crashed just before the final climb.

1st year was 2.13.14 on road bike. If I get near that I'll be happy.

As for file sharing?.... No chance ;)
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • VamP
    Crashed!!?? I was relaxed about the whole thing until I read that.
  • napoleond
    VamP wrote:
    Crashed!!?? I was relaxed about the whole thing until I read that.

Came off on gravel on the last turn before the final climb. Finished looking like robinson crusoe, stuck in the big ring with the back brake rubbing... At that point I was well on for winning the 'improved rider' prize...
    NapoleonD wrote:
    At least i have my back-tattoo memento from last year ;)

33d579cb.jpg
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • VamP
    yeeesh! maybe my strategy should be to go really slow this year, and aim for the 'improved rider' next year :)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    markos1963 wrote:

Number 57 for me. One of my main targets this season was originally to have a good go at the best improver and get down to around 2 hours. I'd got a lot of miles in last season and lost another stone or so after last year's race so given better conditions as well I thought I was in with a chance at that but a winter with virtually no miles plus my weight going back up I'll be happy with 2.15. My climbing recently has been abysmal, need to get new tyres and get my best wheels back on the bike now. Markos is my tip for best improvement!
  • markos1963
    Pross wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

Number 57 for me. One of my main targets this season was originally to have a good go at the best improver and get down to around 2 hours. I'd got a lot of miles in last season and lost another stone or so after last year's race so given better conditions as well I thought I was in with a chance at that but a winter with virtually no miles plus my weight going back up I'll be happy with 2.15. My climbing recently has been abysmal, need to get new tyres and get my best wheels back on the bike now. Markos is my tip for best improvement!

I'd like to have a go at the best improver. I have lost two stone since last time so I might make it up Ankerdine this time(fitted a 12-27 cassette just in case!)
  • VamP
    No. 67

I see Isla Rowntree is starting right after me and Tejvan Pettinger is starting three minutes after me - will be exciting to see which passes me first :(
  • markos1963
    VamP wrote:
    No. 67

I see Isla Rowntree is starting right after me and Tejvan Pettinger is starting three minutes after me - will be exciting to see which passes me first :(

I think I set off 50 minutes before Dean Robson last year and he still passed me two miles before the finish! :oops:
  • napoleond
    I'm number 78. Have NO IDEA how I'll do as its been 2 years since I rode in anger, struggled to get any motivation after I broke my back etc. I've only done 3 rides of this distance or more in 2013!

However it's such a cracking event I'm just in it for the atmosphere. :)
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • GBY73
    GBY73 Posts: 20
    No. 23. I rode last year in the appalling conditions descending at a snail's pace, so hoping for a much improved time this year. As NapD writes, though, it's worth riding just for the atmosphere of the event.
  • napoleond
    Anyone riding this year who's first attempt was last year is big favourite to win the 'most improved' prize. Reward for braving the elements last year!
    ABCC Cycling Coach