Fisher's G2 - HiFi deluxe

ditchit
ditchit Posts: 44
edited February 2013 in MTB general
Anyone out there know much about G2 geometry, have heard mixed reports. Has anyone ridden or owned one (HiFi)?
I dont know whether i like the sound of the custom forks, upgrading or replacing might be a ball-ache! :roll:
'Dont waste your time like an idiot on Facebook. Instead, visit an outdoor enthusiast forum and waste your time in style!' Mahatma Ghandi

Comments

• One of the lads used to have one (turned the back end inside out in an unfortunate bike park incident) and loved it. I found it incredibly twitchy.

You need to ride it. Lovely, lovely bit of kit IF you get on with it.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    One of my mates rides one, loves it, thinks the G2 geometry makes all the difference?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    I own a Gary Fisher Wahoo with G2 geometry. I did really like the twitchiness up front. Unfortunately, I had to replace the forks with standard ones (you can't get after market G2 forks) which did slow down the handling.
  • dmorton
    dmorton Posts: 244
    _Jon_ wrote:
    you can't get after market G2 forks

This isn't necessarily true.

There are ways to source G2 forks (this relates to G2 for 29er at least)

I found that Rockshox (SRAM UK) will supply these complete G2 forks:

Fork SID RCT3 - Solo Air 100 29" MaxleLite15 Black MotionControl DNA 3-Position Crown Adj Alum Str Tpr 51 off-set Disc (100 max travel) - £699.99

Fork SID XX - Solo Air 100 29" 9QR White MotionControl DNA XLoc Remote Right Alum Str Tpr 51 off-set Disc (100 max travel) - £729.99

Fork SID XX - Solo Air 100 29" MaxleLite15 White MotionControl DNA XLoc Remote Right Alum Str Tpr 51 off-set Disc (100 max travel) - £749.99

Fox (Mojo Suspension Hoodoo Ltd) will supply a crown/steerer to modify any existing 29er 32mm forks at £134.00 + £7.90 P&P. (in Black only I think)

Another option is to buy off eBay from the US, there are a lot more on secondhand market there. I worked out they'd charge 4.5% customs on the product cost (including P&P cost), then 20% VAT on that...... From what I can remember the customs duty was 4.5% and then VAT will be added at some point too. This guy http://stores.ebay.com/thehubcycleshop will ship to the UK and has G2 forks quite regularly.

I have a Trek Cobia (29er Hardtail with G2) can't compare it to another 29er. I also have a 26 bike. The G2 29er doesn't strike me as being sluggish
  • Vinnyc19
    Vinnyc19 Posts: 202
    I wasn't a big fan of my HiFi, I had G2 forks and it was slightly quicker handling than the non G2 forks I had
  • Ive got a fisher roscoe 3. not sure about whether the g2 handling makes it any better but it climbs really well and decends even better.. super stable. Just had to send my forks off to mojo though (fox rp24 talas) and had to replace stancions, the talas mech and seals etc.. £400! Should have serviced them more regularily..:(
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    dmorton wrote:
    _Jon_ wrote:
    you can't get after market G2 forks for proper sized wheels

This isn't necessarily true.

Better? :)
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    i had a short test ride on one a few years back at afan, it was the single worst bike i have ever ridden. never before or since had i been on a bike that lost front end grip so easily, it was so bad i'd describe it as dangerous rather than a bad handling bike.
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How do you think the G2 geo affected grip? Sounds like a simple wrong tyre issue!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • what was the difference? 7mm less trail, plus slightly longer top tube?

G2 offset was 46mm

RS & Fox standard offsets are 39mm on shorter travel forks.

Marzocchi use a bit more offset, 44mm for the 44 & 55.

Manitou are somewhere between the two.

Personally, I'd conclude you don't need to buy a "G2" fork.
  • Vinnyc19
    Vinnyc19 Posts: 202
    b45her wrote:
    i had a short test ride on one a few years back at afan, it was the single worst bike i have ever ridden. never before or since had i been on a bike that lost front end grip so easily, it was so bad i'd describe it as dangerous rather than a bad handling bike.

Funny you should say that as iirc it was on my hifi that I came off on a year or so ago