Exploding Wheel Rim

SkidMerckx
SkidMerckx Posts: 72
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
Hi guys, my rear wheel rim exploded this morning!
Pumped the rear tyre (700C x 28) up to 110psi, as I always do on a Sunday, went to wheel the bike out for my commute to work this morning (Tuesday) and the wheel was seized. Loosened of the brake and BANG, it blew the bead off the rim (no that’s not the tyre bead). Fortunately, this happened in my hall and not on the road!
My rims have no wear indicator on them (Ambrosio Excellight) so I am guessing they just wore out (done about 5,000 commuting miles)? Any idea as to the cause and prevention in the future, because I would not NOT like that to have happened on the road.

Comments

• Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    I think cause is obvious, you wore the rims down until they were so thin that the pressure of the innertube expanded them outwards (pushing them onto the brakes, seizing the wheel). Prevention is easy.... replace them with rims with wear indicators on them.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    SkidMerckx wrote:
    Any idea as to the cause and prevention in the future, because I would not NOT like that to have happened on the road.
    dont use your brakes.

Top tip if your wheel is not moving as normal it might just be the brakes holding it together :wink:

and inspect your rims when you change tyres or tubes or fix punctures.

also wear can normally be felt just by feeling the barking surface. when the depression starts to feel worrying it is time to check.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Either that or check the rim thickness with Vernier callipers when you change the tyre. The method you used was pretty good, though - pump up the tyre higher than you would ride it and if it goes bang, change the rim.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    HOLY SH!T!

Glad that did not happen to you on the road!

Good effort with 5000 miles on Ambrosio rims - lightweight usually. Rims with wear indicators in future.
  • *cough* disc brakes

Gets coat

:wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Does sound like it could be the rims wearing out, as the rim would appear to have bulged out ready to come off and only stopped by your brakes.

Not sure of that exact model but the name suggests a lighter weight/fast style rim which could have a thiner rim wall.

Guess a lot depends on how much braking and what sort of terrain e.g. pan flat Vr's hills.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Just swapped my rear out for an older but less worn wheel I had in the shed as the last year's use (similar distance) has worn the rim out - wear indicator dot was gone, and they were starting to look very concave. Excellight rims are Ambrosio's lightest clincher rims, so maybe go for something heavier (and a wear indicator) next time.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Isn't 110 psi pretty high for a 28" with tyre? this may be a contributing factor?
  • Isn't 110 psi pretty high for a 28" with tyre? this may be a contributing factor?

That's the max pressure for 28c 4 Seasons
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Good advice all round really. Have been great wheels (hand built by Harry Rowland), never gone out of true or shed a spoke. Guess wear indicators would be the way forward as I have V-brakes which seem to be harsher than others. Have Vernier Callipers, but wouldn’t know what a safe thickness was and will drop the pressure down to 90psi or so in the future.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Isn't 110 psi pretty high for a 28mm with tyre? this may be a contributing factor?

That's the max pressure for 28mm 4 Seasons
    Fixes applied, I'm in a pedantic mood ;)

Just because its the max doesn't mean you should run them that high. Tyre pressure should be related to your weight, plus how much comfort you want from the ride. Also you normally decrease pressure with tyre width, so while you might run a 23mm tyre at 120psi you'd run a 28mm tyre at 80-90psi. There's also a big difference in ride comfort between 120psi and 80psi, and I'd challenge you to find a large speed differential due to that drop. Give it a go and see what you think.

If the rim was worn then I don't think the pressure would have made that much difference, but its definitely a good thing that didn't happen when you were slamming on the anchors!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    SkidMerckx wrote:
    Good advice all round really. Have been great wheels (hand built by Harry Rowland), never gone out of true or shed a spoke. Guess wear indicators would be the way forward as I have V-brakes which seem to be harsher than others. Have Vernier Callipers, but wouldn’t know what a safe thickness was and will drop the pressure down to 90psi or so in the future.

IIRC, my maintenance manual recommends >1mm.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • SkidMerckx wrote:
    Hi guys, my rear wheel rim exploded this morning!
    Pumped the rear tyre (700C x 28) up to 110psi, as I always do on a Sunday, went to wheel the bike out for my commute to work this morning (Tuesday) and the wheel was seized. Loosened of the brake and BANG, it blew the bead off the rim (no that’s not the tyre bead). Fortunately, this happened in my hall and not on the road!
    My rims have no wear indicator on them (Ambrosio Excellight) so I am guessing they just wore out (done about 5,000 commuting miles)? Any idea as to the cause and prevention in the future, because I would not NOT like that to have happened on the road.

Yes, a rim with wear indicator would prevent that. In the Ambrosio range, only the Evolution has them... it is in all similar to the Excellight, just 50 grams heavier and a fair bit stiffer. It is a fantastic rim for the money, costs just over half the price of an Excellight.
    Incidentally I have a few in stock, 32 holes, can it help? I am based in Richmond if it is more convenient than going down to Ramsgate. If you are on 28, then it is either another Excellight or an Open PRO, but no wear indicators for either
    left the forum March 2023
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    @nick woof
    @rob yet you missed the mod typo

All take 500 lines ...
    "I must not anger the PF or she will rip my rim"
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Blown a rear CXP33 at about 20 mph going round a roundabout. Didn't get round, went straight. Had to phone the team car to collect me as I was in the middle of nowhere on an extended loop home. Guess who had the rack keys at home, so bike had to be disassembled to get it in the car. I knew it was getting low, but was pushing it as the rims are quite expensive. I can build my own now so that saves cash.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I think psi is unlikely to that much of a contributing, rim wear is going to be caused by braking. The only time psi will be a factor is when the brakes have already worn the rim out and you shouldn't be riding if its that low. I'd recommend ugo, he did a very nice job rebuilding my rear wheel, which originally built by Harry. Went with Ugo due to location in Richmond as travel time and cost going to harry added a bit.

I run 28s on rigida dp18s, i run them at 110psi on the rear a little less on the front, im 18stone, no idea if they have wear indicator on the rim (ugo do you know?) but if you can feel a concave surface on the rim, time to get them check out.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Sketchley wrote:
    I think psi is unlikely to that much of a contributing, rim wear is going to be caused by braking. The only time psi will be a factor is when the brakes have already worn the rim out and you shouldn't be riding if its that low. I'd recommend ugo, he did a very nice job rebuilding my rear wheel, which originally built by Harry. Went with Ugo due to location in Richmond as travel time and cost going to harry added a bit.

I run 28s on rigida dp18s, i run them at 110psi on the rear a little less on the front, im 18stone, no idea if they have wear indicator on the rim (ugo do you know?) but if you can feel a concave surface on the rim, time to get them check out.

No, nothing visible on your Rigida
    left the forum March 2023