First 100 mile-er

2»

Comments

• alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    Sorry I'm late, I saw this post yesterday but didn't want to type out a reply on my phone...

I did my first 100 last year in September. My first ever sportive was in March - coming up to the anniversary. Up until that point I'd commuted once or twice a week and did the odd 20 miles on a Sunday. I started off with a 30 around Jodrell Bank. I signed up for a few more over the next few months, never really daring to go above 30 but I started upping my commute days a little. By July I attempted a 50 and it was the worst ride I've ever done. It rained continuously and I really struggled to keep my energy up. I think this was because I was waiting until I felt like I needed to eat or drink. I tried a 60 a couple of weeks later, modifying my intake by deliberately eating small amounts of energy bars at regular intervals.
    It went a lot better but the fuels upset my stomach a bit. September was a 100 and I pre-loaded a bit - pasta the night before and porridge and bananas for breakfast. I had one large flapjack that I took a bite from every 10 miles. I went through 2 water bottle refills with Nuun tabs for hydration, and a bottle of Lucozade Revive. I stopped halfway for a butty and a cup of tea. I nailed it. The next day was good too - no aches like I suffered after the first 50. My saddle time was just under 6 hours.

Based on your other posts that I have read, you shouldn't have a problem with fitness. It is a lot of fun and you'll probably sleep well that night too.
  • alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    Mudcow007...BTW the Liverpool - Chester - Liverpool charity ride is a blast so make sure you sign up for it. Going through the tunnels is worth the admission alone. I did the 50 mile round trip last year, stopping off at a mate's mum's in Chester for a bacon butty. It was the best ride I've done so far. There's also a 95 mile version that adds a loop on the Chester end towards my neck of the woods, which I may aim for this year. The crowds clapping as I came out of the tunnels on the return trip was exhilarating.
  • If you can do 60/70 you can do a 100. The one thing you need to be aware of is to eat and drink early - for a 60 miler you might take a bite when you stop at lights or neck a bar every 2 hours - for the 100 you need to eat sooner - you're effectively fueling up for the last 30 miles. And dont set off too fast, set a target speed for different sections - and pray for a tale wind hehe. have a look at some of the flat rides hmcc or the merc do/have done over the winter - you'll easily get the miles up - you only have to cross the east lancs and the routes round there are really good - plenty of coffee shops too.

Keep your eye too for the mercs Lancs lanes - its 70 miles or so in may, free too, only big hill is over rivington, but its a really good way to build up.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    alidaf wrote:
    Mudcow007...BTW the Liverpool - Chester - Liverpool charity ride is a blast

i do that most years but only do the 50 odd miles....

i think i will be doing the 95 this year, through delamere

Cheers Uncle Cleat, i will take a look...
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • If you're going to be in the saddle a while you might get sick of sweet stuff. I use a tri bag (sits behind the stem on top of the top tube) for long sportives (and 100 mile TTs) and that's very handy. Much easier to get stuff out of that when riding than out of a pocket.

Also I find some of the sports drinks too sweet. I use SIS neutral (which is basically maltodextrin), add one or two (depending on temperature) of them electrolyte tablet type things and a splash of whatever squash.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    I've not done 100 miles. But I've done 85 miles of the London to Brighton off road without too much trouble. I was with a few mates and the pace was rather slower than I would have liked. We did get looks of absolute horror when we stopped for a pint at about 55 miles. Doing it again this year, but I've told my mates I'm going to ride at my own pace. Might have to be a bit more careful about what I eat and drink.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    That is it,

I am doing it. Nothing planned or organised. I'm gonna do London - Cambridge - London. Anyone done this?

not sure if i will do it solo or rope some mates in. Probably solo. However my directional skills are terrible so i'll probably end up pointing the bike north for 50 miles and then turn back and see how i get on with that.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Got to 90, never 100.... Plan is to change that on 28/29th March with midnight ride to Bognor (70+ miles) breakfast then a ride home at least some of the way after to make up the 100.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5