1st homebuild xc/trail bike

bushu
bushu Posts: 711
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
having rebuilt my mongoose a few times and getting used to fettling the track/commuter bike, I'm going to build up an xc bike.. or two :| mongoose giblets going on a trek frame (a tad small+didnt agree with the matt white:lol:) for a relative & a scott scale 50 for myself with some classifieds and shiney new stuffs (for not buying a turbo)

Scott Scale 50 frame - headset unknown, probably need some is:pm bs to mount the brakes ive bought

Shimano SLX M665 brakeset - classifieds, need spare pads and rotor (sizes :?)

Shimano XT triple 9speed chainset - new no pedals, cassette or chain..

Shimano XT Shadow 9speed/Shimano SLX front derailleur

Shimano MT66 wheelset - no reviews but past models & good price sold em, centre lock :|

Raceface Deus XC bars and probably the usual superstars lockons when i settle on colour

Scavenging a few bits from my box for saddle, post, collar, shifter cable & maybe tyres. still short a few things not yet mentioned yet, but will have to wait till next payday now and hopefully some advise on the bits i'm missing would save me a lot of googlefu :lol:

Comments

• bushu
    3x9 Shifters - suppose XT..
    Cassette - again XT?
    Fork - dunno a fox would be nice, anything better than my heavy coil tora's tbh
    Pedals - flats or slx/xt spd when i can choose
    Chain - kmc/xt? unreliable sram 8sp so sod that :lol:
    Stem/headset - stem sorted i think, not sure about the headset required yet wondering if a fsa pig dh pro would be suitable or too heavy?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fork - Get either an alloy stanchioned RockShox or an older manitou, both seem to last better older.
    Cassette - SLX? an 11-32 SLX is lighter than an 11-34 XT
    Shifters - SLX or XT, though for XC I'd have 2x9, say 26/36 gearing.
    Pedals - for XC SPD or SPD!
    Chain - KMC - why pay more?
    Headset - The pig is heavier than you need for XC, think weight weenie!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • +1 for old manitous for xc, I had an old coil fork with 100mm travel, worked great and weighed around 1600-1700g. the air version are even lighter.

basically what the beginner says
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My 100mm Manitou Skareb is 1450g, the lads 120mm Black 1690g (air).

Disc sizes, 160/160 for true XC and 180/160 for a bit harder work or if you are a bit heavier.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bushu
    Wheelset arrived super quick, thanks to merlin & UPS ;) will use them again as long as i dont have to call :lol:

classified brakes here also, near new imho but still no frame to figure out if i require mount adapter
    Awaiting ShityLink for my wiggles-XT order, but really am wondering where the frame is now..

Thanks for the inputs, much appreciated :)
  • bushu
    The frame arrived Tuesday but only had a good look yesterday, it appears someone didn't like a bit of the frame an lopped it off o_0 to loose even more weight!? I dunno, seems solid though, cleaned up well

Slx cl disc arrived so started putting the front wheel together, no mention anywhere about greasing these or the hub spline but felt a need to put a slight amount on the cl thread. Then realise I've no tubes..

May try run current headset with my toras until payday :( toras are post mount, so slx caliper should go straight on?

Needing pm/is adapter for rear still, are superstar's any good? Cheapest new I've found

Thinking light and in case I upgrade further down the road I'll splash out on Ti bolts for the calipers :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    bushu wrote:
    The frame arrived Tuesday but only had a good look yesterday, it appears someone didn't like a bit of the frame an lopped it off o_0 to loose even more weight!? I dunno, seems solid though, cleaned up well
    No idea what you mean but it doesn't sound good. Bits of the frame are there for a reason.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bushu
    No idea, a regular long time crudder decided not to mention it till after sending, but suppose I should've known better..

On the rear there were two parallel bridges between either side and now its a single bridge...
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    bushu wrote:
    No idea, a regular long time crudder decided not to mention it till after sending, but suppose I should've known better..

On the rear there were two parallel bridges between either side and now its a single bridge...

Very sorry to hear about the issue. I nearly bought that frame and really felt there was something just not right. It seemed to good to be true. Real shame there are dishonest people out there. I hope the admins at least bar the guy from selling more.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Sounds like the V brake mounts might have been removed
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    Have you got pictures? Sounds like a rear stay gusset to me.
  • bushu
    Forgot to take a pic earlier, will try sort that tomorrow, could be as WindyG/Plyphon say. Hopefully non issue just wish I knew as I'll have to be tidying it up, still worth hacking & upgrade further down the road if I get into xc.

Tubes ordered, awaiting judgement on superstar caliper mount might just cough up for shimano pm/is

EDIT-Superstar PM/IS R160 on its way now :)
  • cooldad
    I'd send it back.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bushu
    cba for the price i paid, cost me again to return. Think when/if i do get into xc and upgrade, frame will be new :)
  • raldat
    Holy crap mate, thanks,for taking a bullet for me. I owe you a big one. That is a bin it job in my opinion. Don't pay to send it back, demand a refund from the prick who sold it and throw it. That support is there for a reason.
  • bushu
    raldat wrote:
    Holy crap mate, thanks,for taking a bullet for me. I owe you a big one. That is a bin it job in my opinion. Don't pay to send it back, demand a refund from the prick who sold it and throw it. That support is there for a reason.
    Paypal gifted, thinking a regular forum member wouldn't have done such a deed.. so can't demand a sausage :roll:
    ya live n learn, hopefully a new xc frame to build eventually if i dont die riding this one :lol:
  • cooldad
    edited February 2013
    Name and shame. I doubt any regular Cruddite would do such a thing.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Name and shame!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • bushu
    cooldad wrote:
    Name and shame. I doubt any regular Cruddite would do such a thing.
    Not here to start a tirade of abuse for the guy, but do feel that sticking a seatpost as substitute to half a frame that was missing is a bit cheeky, should've mentioned it before sending and prevented the sale if frame was faulty/not as advertised :roll:
  • raldat
    Well Bushu, the seller is a lucky bugger because that frame is unusable in my opinion and as a result he effectively stole 50 or so quid from you. I would not be so kind but despite knowing who the guy is, I will respect your wishes and not out the guy.

Out of curiosity though, did you express your lack of pleasure with the matter with the seller and what was his response?
  • cooldad
    Yeah did some detective work and it looks like it was carefully 'hidden' in the pics.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bushu
    raldat wrote:
    Well Bushu, the seller is a lucky bugger because that frame is unusable in my opinion and as a result he effectively stole 50 or so quid from you. I would not be so kind but despite knowing who the guy is, I will respect your wishes and not out the guy.

Out of curiosity though, did you express your lack of pleasure with the matter with the seller and what was his response?
    my last msg went along the lines, "unwrapped an aye its light, partly due to half the rear bridge missing wish i knew how to cover it, doesnt look like a tyre caused it o_0 rest is quite tidy though thanks" as i honestly didnt realise how much it had been hacked to bits until spending a bit of time in my now bike workshop/front room..

First mention of any damage was when item shipped, "I threw in the seat post and collar as I noticed the rear arch was scratched up
    I tell you what it's bloody light"
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    After having done some detective work of my own, given the condition of the forks, the previous owner must have fancied himself a bit of a handyman and started hacking various parts of the bike up because he thought it was a good idea. If it came to the member in question in that state then I could see why he thought it was just a bit "scratched up". Like you said, I can't imagine that this particular member would have been out to specifically rip anyone off... But I could be wrong.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • raldat
    In the interest of safety, I have posted a pic of what it sold look like. Most of the support structure is gone. Up to you if you ride it or ot, but I wouldn't.

I will shut up now on this and leave you alone Bushu, but I really ope you don't ride it. I would hate it to end in injury. Everything else is up to you of course.

I suspect it has either been ground off for tyre clearance or, given a mudguard was fitted to the front, to fit some kind of mud guard.
  • bushu
    I'm stupid enough to try most things once :)
    But thanks for the concern of this simple lifeform

Won't be anything too aggressive on this and I've been eyeing up a whippet/456 frame so might just see how long I can hold out buying till I've a better idea of which to choose