Fulcrum WH-CPX 1700 Wheels

muzzan
muzzan Posts: 203
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I know these wheels are made specially for Focus, I'm trying to get a gen on what standard fulcrum wheels they are based on (ie where they sit in the range). The other focus wheels (6.5, 4.5 etc) all have an obvious OEM wheelset, but I cant see one for these. They seem to have deeper rims as well.

If I go for the Cayo Evo with these wheels I wont have any budget left over for a wheel upgrade, but I like the look of this as its full Force.

Any insights or opinions on the standard of these appreciated :)

Comments

• Wheels fitted on off the peg bikes are typically the bottom range, so they probably relate to the Fulcrum Racing 7?
    Maybe a touch lighter, if the 1700 represents the weight.

Being italian, weights are always well underestimated
    left the forum March 2023
  • muzzan
    Thanks, but I think it isnt the racing 7's they are based on as they have deeper rims & anyway there is the 6.5's for that.

I have found a site which gives the official weight estimates for the Cayo range and the 3.0 (which has the CPX 1700's) is quite a bit lighter (750 g or so) than the 4.0, which cant be just down to the switch from Ultegra to Force. It must be the wheels as well & its the 6.5's on the 4.0, so the 1700's must be lighter, but as we know, lighter doesnt mean better.

One concern I have about Focus is they are slightly opaque when it comes to giving information on their specs, the ones on the website are not very detailed compared to other manufacturers. The wheels are a major part of a bike and to not be able to get any information on quality is a bit of a worry.
  • muzzan wrote:
    Thanks, but I think it isnt the racing 7's they are based on as they have deeper rims & anyway there is the 6.5's for that.

I have found a site which gives the official weight estimates for the Cayo range and the 3.0 (which has the CPX 1700's) is quite a bit lighter (750 g or so) than the 4.0, which cant be just down to the switch from Ultegra to Force. It must be the wheels as well & its the 6.5's on the 4.0, so the 1700's must be lighter, but as we know, lighter doesnt mean better.

One concern I have about Focus is they are slightly opaque when it comes to giving information on their specs, the ones on the website are not very detailed compared to other manufacturers. The wheels are a major part of a bike and to not be able to get any information on quality is a bit of a worry.

You will find out that your research findings have no grounds... no manufacturer gives accurate weight measurements, so doing maths on made up numbers won't give answers. The reason is because there are people (like you) who like to do maths with these numbers, hence manufacturers feel entitled to give you some fake ones, so you can buy their "super light" products.

I haven't said they are FR7, I have said they will be in line with those in the Fulcrum range. What I mean is that if you had to buy them separately they would retail at a similar price. price and weight are related
  • muzzan
    But even the claimed manufacturers weight (if indeed 1700 is such) is significantly different, & they look different, so if price & weight are related (thanks for pointing that out btw ;-)) then erm... would the 1700's not be more expensive? Just a bit confused by your answers, much as I appreciate you know more about wheels than I ever will.

Of course I am aware that claimed manufacturers weights are inaccurate, but would think that they were at least similarly inaccurate across a range.In fact I got a ride on the Cayo 4.0 at the w/e & the weight of it was pretty much spot on what the list says.... must be the exception that proves the rule ;-) Although the list was taken from a retailer not the manufacturer.

I was just hoping that someone who knows these wheels would be able to help with a more accurate appraisal. That way I can decide whether to go with the 4.0 & a wheel upgrade or stick with the 3.0 which I prefer for groupset reasons & asthetics.

So, if anyone can shed any more light it would help :-)
  • muzzan
    OK, so for anyone else wondering about these I have now discovered these wheels are based on the Fulcrum racing quattros, with apparently slightly better hubs(what that means in reality I've no idea). Makes sense with the 35mm rims etc. Just thought I would let you know.
  • McFocus
    McFocus Posts: 3
    Just got myself a cayo evo 4.0 and it is as stiff as stiff gets.
    The fulcrum 6.5 are a little heavy but are high quality, as we know there is heavy bad and heavy good. These wheels are good strong ond very stiff.
    I was not expecting much but ended up very pleased.
  • denniskwok
    denniskwok Posts: 339
    Given the choice between a 3.0 and a 4.0, I'd choose the 3.0 purely on looks as the black and red looks awesome. I bought a 6.0 a few weeks ago and switched the wheels out to carbon clinchers straight away. The Fulcrum 6.5s will be relegated to winter duties. With a couple of other mods, such as seatpost and saddle, the weight is down to 16.6lbs.
  • Alexvs
    Alexvs Posts: 52
    I've just decided on getting an Evo 4 so this is positive to read. I personally prefer the look of the black, white and blue and am a Shimano man as would take some time adjusting the SRAM even though I know the Force groupset is lighter than Ultegra and all that. Was also looking for info on the Fulcrum 6.5's and read on the BR review that they're similar to the Quattros but would think they're more based on the 7's.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Alexvs wrote:
    Was also looking for info on the Fulcrum 6.5's and read on the BR review that they're similar to the Quattros but would think they're more based on the 7's.

If they were a cross breed between the 4 (quattro in italian) and the 7, I would say they should be the 5.5, not the 6.5... The 6.5 can only be a cross breed between the 4 and the 7, which has then been cross bred again with a new pair of 7... :lol:
  • Alexvs
    Alexvs Posts: 52
    Alexvs wrote:
    Was also looking for info on the Fulcrum 6.5's and read on the BR review that they're similar to the Quattros but would think they're more based on the 7's.

If they were a cross breed between the 4 (quattro in italian) and the 7, I would say they should be the 5.5, not the 6.5... The 6.5 can only be a cross breed between the 4 and the 7, which has then been cross bred again with a new pair of 7... :lol:
    Crazy Italians :? :P Whatever they are I'm sure they'll do me fine till I become a better rider, which will be some time before my ability matches that of the bike and I'm not afraid to say it lol.
  • Just ordered a focus izalco SL Team 3.0 2014 but im not 100% what wheels it comes with standard i ride tubeless but not sure if they are :(
  • I was looking at buying a Focus bike and they were kitted with these wheels, would like to hear about them if anyone has experience with them.