Decathlon price increases

danlightbulb
danlightbulb Posts: 701
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Just noticed Decathlon have increased MTB prices.

RR8.1 now £550: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-81 ... 68918.html up from £500.
RR8.0 now £430: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-80 ... 06681.html up from £400.

Maybe they need the money to fund this £1300 downhill bike?: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-fr ... 93612.html

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Prices rise. How unusual.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    same as everyone else then, and the FR10 isn't exactly new, the 2010 version here http://www.velovert.com/gammes2010/B'tw ... rider-FR10
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Hadn't seen it in the UK before, certainly not seen it in the stores.

Previously the thought was that decathlon were targetting the C2W buyers with the <£500 price tag, now the bike will have the 7% final charge instead of the 3%.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Looks like you've discovered inflation....
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • I better pull my finger out and make my mind up before it goes up again then ! :-)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Makes the Hoodoo look better value next to the 8.1......it' a different style of bike of course.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    That freeride bike looks like good value. Can't see the geometry anywhere though.
    They really need to sort out the colours on it, looks aweful.
  • ilovedirt wrote:

Inflation is an excuse to put up prices, which then drives further inflation.

A great many products have come down in price over the years due to technology improvements, mass production etc.

A decision to raise a price by an arbitrary £50 isn't inflation linked.
  • rockmonkeysc

Popularity of a product is though and it's still cheaper than many of the alternatives
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    That freeride bike looks like good value. Can't see the geometry anywhere though.
    They really need to sort out the colours on it, looks aweful.
    I like the colours. But for some reason it looks like the top of the shock is touching the top tube :?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Are you colour blind?
    That shock is very close if it's not touching.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Makes a change from the boring bland colours bikes normally come in!
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    ilovedirt wrote:

Inflation is an excuse to put up prices, which then drives further inflation.

A great many products have come down in price over the years due to technology improvements, mass production etc.

Is this statement a result of any tangible knowledge or merely wild speculation? ;)

Not the best looking colour scheme on the FR10, have definitely seen worse though. In the same shop.
  • Price changes will be due to exchange rates. The pound has bombed against the Euro in the last few weeks.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That and it hasn't gone up since 2011.
  • EH_Rob wrote:
    Is this statement a result of any tangible knowledge or merely wild speculation? ;)

I wouldn't quite call it wild speculation, but if it was genuinely inflation they would have put prices up before now.

I don't blame exchange rates either, the pound euro exchange rate has been bad before.

As has been suggested its more likely just a commercial decision, based on their sales modelling at various price points. Not that it really matters, the price is the price.

Whats more interesting is when the taxman will raise the £500 lower C2W limit to take account of bike price rises...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I think I'm missing your point. If you want one, buy one, if you don't, don't. If you think they are a rip off buy a Spesh.

But on a less idiotic note, people don't link their prices to cpi or anything, costs increase (or demand) and prices rise. It's not rocket science.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Plus pricing strategy means keeping to psycholical boubdaries, so they keep it under £500 as long as possible, eroding margins, then jump it up to under £550 and do the same again....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad wrote:
    I think I'm missing your point. If you want one, buy one, if you don't, don't. If you think they are a rip off buy a Spesh.

But on a less idiotic note, people don't link their prices to cpi or anything, costs increase (or demand) and prices rise. It's not rocket science.

I wasn't really making a point, just posting info that the prices have gone up. It wasn't me who first raised the inflation issue.

I think the key piece of information was this:
    supersonic wrote:
    Still bargains.

Which is good to know.
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Apart from 1 year when Decathlon made tidy looking bikes the rest are fucking foul looking. I really don't get it. Cheap doesn't have to mean crap looking!
  • rockmonkeysc
    Concorde wrote:
    Apart from 1 year when Decathlon made tidy looking bikes the rest are ******* foul looking. I really don't get it. Cheap doesn't have to mean crap looking!

Expensive bikes can look crap as well. Just take a look at the Orange Five, Orange Alpine 160, Orange Patriot, Orange Diva & Orange 322.