More Nuclear Power Please & Not This

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited February 2013 in The cake stop
This is a simulated photo of the proposal for the worlds largest wind farm between the Isle of Wight and the Purbecks. An area of outstanding natural beauty. Yet this is likely to go ahead. I believe it is being scaled back a bit, but will still be the largest on the planet.

new-1-620x350.jpg
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Nah, that's fine. Can't be seen from where I'm standing anyway.
  • Theyre very small :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    soooo much better to have a nuclear power station set up in Burley the cooling towers could attract more grockles and they can take the toxic waste and dump it off Boscombe pier, as people in Boscombe won't mind :shock:

Or you could take some personal responsibility and use less electricity and stop respouting ill informed DM type comments

IMHO :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    Theyre very small :lol:

hmmm, or perhaps they're very far away.

Anyways, no objections from me. I have to look at a fecking great power station, these are much nicer to see.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Mr Goo wrote:
    An area of outstanding natural beauty.

Its a patch of sea with a few blips in the distance - thats not outstanding, its something you can see from pretty much any coast.

Presumably you'll be happy with having the extra nuclear waste dumped under your house, but hey, the view is nice ;)
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I quite like wind turbines

They are certainly better looking than nuclear power stations

But then, the nuke station wouldn't be built where the OP could see it, would it?

As another poster has said, fit UV panels to your house and turn off the light when you leave a room

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Can't see a problem with it myself - we have some in the distance I can see out of the window and I ride past them all the time.

I'd prefer that than the cost/danger of more nuclear power.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Nuclear power IMHO is the only realistic way forward. Before anyone asks, it wouldn't worry me if they built one local to myself either.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Living in East Anglia we have a few of these off the coast and to be honest you only see them on very clear still days and even then you don't really notice them. As for areas of outstanding natural beauty, I've never see the sea as an object of beauty?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    team47b wrote:
    soooo much better to have a nuclear power station set up in Burley the cooling towers could attract more grockles and they can take the toxic waste and dump it off Boscombe pier, as people in Boscombe won't mind :shock:

Or you could take some personal responsibility and use less electricity and stop respouting ill informed DM type comments

IMHO :D

Hopefully they will scare off the deer which are forever in the garden since hunting them was banned
  • Can't see a problem with it myself - we have some in the distance I can see out of the window and I ride past them all the time.

Gawd...

http://singularityhub.com/2012/12/11/no ... r-reactor/

Read up on Thorium reactors and maybe research on the 'dangers' of Nuclear reactors.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf62.html for some more reading
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Akirasho
    Akirasho Posts: 1,892
    ... this was parked on the street about a mile from my house though someone had removed the Mr. Fusion... does this count?

Car-DeLorean-IMG_4695_zpse864f0f7.jpg
    Car-DeLorean-IMG_4696_zps10d46426.jpg
    Car-DeLorean-IMG_4699_zpsd028289f.jpg

<< also handy for those quick janunts into the future to see if wind farms were really an answer >>
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Going by the average age in that area, 95% of the local population won't be able to see them anyway.

Gawd...

Read up on Thorium reactors and maybe research on the 'dangers' of Nuclear reactors.

Or read how its magical properties are "overstated" - looks like big business'll have to put off raping the planet....again.. for a good few years yet. :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    looks fine to me. We are going to put one up in our back yard.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Mr Goo wrote:
    This is a simulated photo of the proposal for the worlds largest wind farm between the Isle of Wight and the Purbecks. An area of outstanding natural beauty. Yet this is likely to go ahead. I believe it is being scaled back a bit, but will still be the largest on the planet.

new-1-620x350.jpg

Or how about you consider the fact that wind power is the cleanest way for us to provide the excessive amount of power used by all of us as a result of our greed and sense of entitlement and therefore view these windfarms as what they are - places of outstanding beauty.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    nicklouse wrote:

Here's one I made earlier.

This is my home built turbine, it's been flying since July 07 in various guises and blade set-ups.

panelroof1.jpg

The older I get, the better I was.

• In James Lovelock's Revenge of Gaia, he suggests that it's too late to go renewable and nuclear power is the only sensible option until Fusion is possible. A controversial and interesting point from a remarkable chap.
    tick - tick - tick
  • team47b
    If nuclear power provides 14% of electricity worldwide 'we' don't have to reduce our consumption by very much to negate the need for nuclear power.

by 'we' I of course mean you as I don't personally use the grid

Gawd...

My point is still valid - OK so someone is trialling a 4 year test so maybe we will or wont move over to it undoubtedly 20 or so years after the trial has finished IF it works.

As for research the dangers of nuclear reactors granted the newer ones are safer but its all relative to the materials at hand, how they are then disposed of and the enormous cost of doing so. Plus what would happen if something does go wrong, as they tend to go wrong rather badly and there is no quick fix.

I tend to think the Germans have gone the right way with their plans to forsake Nuclear power for cleaner, safer and more efficient forms of power generation. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 10560.html
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    WTF is outstanding about that bit of sea?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    team47b wrote:
    If nuclear power provides 14% of electricity worldwide 'we' don't have to reduce our consumption by very much to negate the need for nuclear power.

I'm impressed you managed to connect to BR through a network entirely free of mains powered servers.
    Or else it's just another example of people enjoying the benefits of a technologically advanced society while advocating policies that would, if universally adopted, completely destroy that society.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Capt Slog wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Here's one I made earlier.

This is my home built turbine, it's been flying since July 07 in various guises and blade set-ups.

panelroof1.jpg
    nice.

Looking to do a 12v battery and solar lighting set up for the kitchen garden and the sheds. Got to love LEDs.

any info on selfbuilding a turbine?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • team47b
    bompington wrote:
    team47b wrote:

I'm impressed you managed to connect to BR through a network entirely free of mains powered servers.
    Or else it's just another example of people enjoying the benefits of a technologically advanced society while advocating policies that would, if universally adopted, completely destroy that society.

Thought I wouldn't get away with the smug comment :D

Admit defeat on smugness and raise you a dig about hyperbole :D

I only said a 14% reduction.
  • I like wind farms. I think there is a strange beauty to them.
  • Tom Dean wrote:
    WTF is outstanding about that bit of sea?
    Errm, the Needles, Old Harry Rocks, the Isle of Purbeck. What a dump :roll:
    On a nice warm, still day when I put on my air-con on at least those babies will be pumping ashore loads of free leccy. Woo-hoo.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Oh I couldn't see any of those in the picture :roll:

Is this the Needles you mean?
    The%20Needles.jpg
    Because, yeah, to put any kind of man made structure near there would be CRIMINAL.
  • well for my tuppenceworth i really like the turbines. i dont live near a coast but we have 4 just outside Mansfield and i just love the look of them. so simple (the turbines, not me :) )

on the subject of Nuclear, i assumed the decision was made to go ahead and if they follow how a lot of europe run them i would hope we are safe from being glow in the dark just yet....

...but imagine how much safer we'll be commuting in the dark eh?
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    What are we going to do when raw radioactive materials start to dry up (est.2050) ? The lovely environmentally friendly vast, I mean VAST open cast mines in Australia are yielding less and less already.
    Lovers/believers/converts/the dissolusioned who think that science and technology will provide the answers to 'untapped' methods of yet to be discovered ways of producing energy. Ha. If we had bread, we could have bread and butter, if we had butter.

Yes, we are going to have to compromise our existences and curb our "greed and sense of entitlement" [fantastic] because we will run out of the resources that we are sucking up at a completely unsustainable rate.
    Smell the coffee: we will have no f**king choice.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Fantastic. It seems all the Metropolitan elite have crept out of the wood work and swapped their carbon soled SIDIs for open toed sandals.

Firstly the area of outstanding natural beauty I refer to: Stand on the cliff tops from anywhere between Milford on Sea and Bournemouth/Branksome/Poole and you will then see what I mean. Its not just sea and a horizon its more than that, you have the Isle of Wight and the rolling hills of the Purbecks with an open vista of open water between, used for fishing and plenty of recreational activities. All this will be lost. BTW it is also recognised by UNESCO as part of the Jurassic Coast World Heritage site.

Importantly, wind farms require between 90 to 100% back up from conventional fossil or nuclear generated electricity, as wind power is too unreliable. This is backed up by studies from around the world and from some of the UKs most eminent economists and scientists.

The only reason this site is going ahead will be the massive subsidy received from our government.

Of interest to you tree huggers out there is the fact that David Cameron's father in-law receives over £1000 per day in government subsidy for the 9 wind turbines located on his country estates. Not bad is it? over a third of a million in your bank account for doing sod all for the environment.

Instead of putting up these blots on the landscape why not invest in clean fossil fuel technology and upgrade our existing National Grid infrastructure?. Better still, CONSERVE electricity. Just by us being responsible with its use, and turning off the TV at night or turning off lights when not in the room could reduce the national consumption of electricity by 30%!!!
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.