Buying My Dream Bike - help?

swissbiker
swissbiker Posts: 2
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm building my dream bike and would appreciate everyone's input on how I might swap out specific components. This will be my first _really_ nice bike and I want it to be a little bit of everything: lightweight, comfortable, robust, etc.

I live in Switzerland and I'll be riding it in the alps. I'm not really tallented on the bike yet, but I'm keen to learn. I've biked up 1500m in one day when I borrowed a Santa Cruz Tallboy (not LT) from a friend. I had a great time with some difficulties on the downhill part. I was wishing for more travel (hence my decision to get the LT now) and I had some brake fading (that was a 160mm front rotor, and here I've got it configured with 180mm). I plan to gradually build up to doing more downhill without risking any broken bones!

I weigh about 142 lbs, 64kg. And I'm 5'7", 170cm tall.

I'm comitted to getting the bike from Competitive Cyclist so I can only consider components that they have in stock now. I'm looking for top of the line stuff. Links to any of your suggestions would be very helpful.

I'm starting with the Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Carbon, XTR Trail base config and upgrading some components from there.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... 2189&MODE=

I'm completely undecided on the clipless pedals. I have a nice pair of Shimano SPD shoes that I'd like to use, but otherwise no idea. I had pain before in my knees so maybe a pedal with some rotation would be nice.

FRAME: Santa Cruz Bicycles Tallboy LT Carbon With FOX CTD Kashima with selected
components from XTR Trail package Matte Carbon/Orange Medium
Front Suspension
Fork:
Fox Racing Shox 34 Talas 29 140 CTD Fit Fork 1.5 Taper/15QR
Brakes: Shimano XTR Trail Brake Set M988 With Ice Tech Rotor 180 Front, 160 Rear, 6 Bolt
Cassettes: Shimano XTR Dyna-Sys Cassette 11/34 10-Speed
Chains: Shimano XTR Dyna-Sys CN-M980 Chain 116 Links 10 Speed
Bottom Bracket: Shimano XT Bottom Bracket
Cranks: Shimano XTR Dyna-Sys FC-M980 Trail Triple Crankset 175mm
Front Derailleurs: Shimano XTR Traditional Triple Front Derailleur FD-M981
Grips: ESI Grips Chunky Mountain Bike Grip Black
Handlebars: Enve Sweep Handlebar 9 degree
Headset: Chris King InSet Mixed Tapered Headset with Griplock Bold Black
Pedals: Shimano XTR PD-M985 Trail Pedals Trail
Rear Derailleurs: Shimano XTR Shadow Plus RD-M986 Rear Derailleur
Saddles: Fizik Arione CX Carbon K:IUM Saddle
Seatpost: Enve Zero Offset Seatpost 30.9
Shifters: Shimano XTR SL-M980 Shifters Front/Rear 10-Speed
Stems: Enve Stem 90mm
Tires: Schwalbe Nobby Nic TL Ready Snakeskin Tire - 29in 2.35
Tubes: None
Wheels: Mavic Crossmax ST 29in Wheelset - MAV0418
Water Bottle
Cages:
None
Computers: None
Cables Upgrade: None

I'll do my best to answer any questions but please keep in mind that I'm really a newbie on technical questions, so a short explanation or link to technical drawings would also help.

Comments

• BikeSwan
    BikeSwan Posts: 260
    I love these "dream bike" posts, there so much fun! I have a belief that bikes can have their own distinct characters, components wise, and the more "one brand" components there are the less distinct and interesting it is. What you've specced is absolutely amazing and but it's not as "unique" compared to what i'd spec. At the bottom is a list of what i'd spec on a dream bike. This is my actual dream bike, it's a complete coincidence that their both Tallboy LT's.

I noticed you specced alloy wheels. I'd consider downgrading the Drivetrain to XT rather than XTR and getting some ENVE AM wheels. Since I tried some ENVE XC wheels on my normal Tallboy I absolutely loved them, and thought they were noticeably better than my Stans Arch EX w/ DT 240 wheels.

I also noticed you specced a normal seatpost, i'd consider a dropper seatpost on a bike with that much potential; you'll be able to descend with much more confidence with your saddle out the way. And since most dropper seatposts have some setback, you can get a shorter (70mm) stem to quicken up the handling.

Another thing would be the tires. The Schwalbe tires are great but the Nobby Nic 2.35" is a bit heavy for a rear tire. I'd spec something lighter like the Nobby Nic 2.25" or a Rocket Ron or something. On those long climbs in the Alps you'll want all the help you can get!

The last thing i'd say on the components front would be to change the handlebar. The ENVE bar's are good but 700mm seems pretty narrow for an All Mountain bike. I'd look at nothing less than 720mm and i'd go for a 740mm if it was me. I currently use a 680mm on my Tallboy, but thats for XC racing.

To address the pedals, i'd recommend a twin bar pedal if your having pain in your knees, something like a Time Atac, Look S-Track, or Crank Brothers Candy. These have a lot of "float" and are kind on the knees. I like the idea of a cage around the pedal which is why I would spec the Look S-Track with the composite cage.

My Physical Info:
    Height: 6'4"
    Weight: 175 lbs

Base
    Frame: Santa Cruz Tallboy LTC (Black/Orange - XXL)
    Headset: Chris King Tapered (Black)
    Fork: Fox 34 Talas 29 140 FIT CTD w/ Trail Adjust
    Shock: Fox Float CTD Boost Valve w/ Trail Adjust
    Bottom Bracket: Enduro XD-15 (Race Face - Black)

Drivetrain
    Crank Arms: Race Face Next SL (175mm)
    Chain Rings: Praxis Works Mountain Double (24/38T - Black)
    Chain Guide: MRP 2X (36-38T w/ skid)
    Cassette: KCNC 10 Speed Titanium (Shimano / 11-36)
    Chain: KMC X10Sl-DLC/Black
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR M981 (34.9 High Clamp, Top Pull)
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR M985 (Long Cage)
    Shifters: Shimano XTR M980

Brakes
    Brakes: Hope Stealth Race Evo w/ Braided Hoses
    Rotors: Kettle Cycles SiCCC Two Piece or SFL (200F – 180R)

Finishing Kit
    Handlebar: Schmolke MTB Lowriser DH (740mm)
    Grips: Ergon GA1 Evo (Black)
    Stem: New Ultimate Stem Evo 7050 Ti Bolt (70mm, Black w/ Orange Decals, 0 Degree)
    Seatpost: Thomson Elite Dropper (30.9mm)
    Saddle: Fizik Gobi 00
    Seat Collar: Tune Strangler (34.9mm)
    Pedals: Look S-Track Carbon Ti w/ Composite Cage

Wheels
    Rims: ENVE 29 AM (Orange & Black decals - 32 Hole)
    Spokes: Sapim CX-Ray Black (Black w/ 4 Orange spokes per wheel)
    Front Hub: Tune Princess 15 (Orange – 32 Hole)
    Rear Hub: Tune Prince X-12 (Orange – 32 Hole)
    Front Tire: Schwalbe Nobby Nic (29 x 2.35)
    Rear Tire: Schwalbe Rocket Ron (29 x 2.25)
    Tubeless System: Stans NoTubes 29er Tubeless w/ ENVE tubeless rim strips

Other
    Bike Protection: Lizard Skins Rear Shock Boot (Black)
    Bike Protection: Helitape (Use in cable contact areas)

Well, this has been fun! Good luck choosing components, and let's be honest with a Tallboy LTc as a frame you could get crap components and it would still feel great . . . probably.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Personally I'd stick more to your original build, than the slight mismatch of quirky parts that BikeSwan's used.

Tune seat collars aren't good enough IME on a full on XC bike, let alone something more ' hardcore'. I'd not use Schmolke bars either, would rather have ENVEs. Wouldn't use Race Face cranks either, XTR just work! I'd recommend the 11-36 cassette - you may as well frankly, otherwise there's no real advantage to 10 speed!

I do agree with BS on the wheels though - I wouldn't use Crossmax. If ENVE rims aren't an option I'd consider either some Light Bicycle carbon rims (not an option on Competitive Cyclist admittedly) or just Stan's rims on DT240 hubs.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you want to get more more in to downhill and more aggressive riding then don't get a 29er. 29" wheels are too flexy on rough trails at speed and even when cornering they flex a lot more than 26" wheels. Carbon rims would help but it still won't be much fun through tight switchbacks at high speed.
    I would go for a Santa Cruz Blur LT or Intense Tracer instead built with Rockshox Revelation forks, Cane Creek DB coil shock, XTR transmission and brakes, E13 cranks and E13 rims on Chris King hubs.
  • BikeSwan
    I semi-agree with njee20, if you want pure reliability then just go for the stock set-up, but I was talking about something unique and different. It really depends on what you want out of the bike. I like using odd components because it lends a unique character to the bike.

About the Tune seat collar, I agree most things Tune are a bit "light" but i've been using a Tune Strangler Skyline seat clamp for two years now, and it's completely fine (I haven't had to do anything to it at all). I've been using a Race Face Crank for 2 years as well and I can solidly say it's just as good as the XTR cranks, and with Praxis rings the front shifting is actually better!

RockmonkeySC does have a point. Your not on the overly tall side so a 26 inch bike or 27.5 might suit you better than a 29er. A 29er for you may feel a bit "truck" like. I cant deny that I would never go back to a 26" bike after my Tallboy, but even the XL 26" bikes are way too small for me. A Medium or Large 26" bike would be lighter, have more travel and more choice of parts and spares. It's something to think about?
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    How can it be your 'dream build' if you don't even know what you want?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    BikeSwan wrote:
    It really depends on what you want out of the bike.

Very much this. What I want out of bikes is the best bike I can get for the purpose I intend to use it for, as opposed to a list of components that makes me smile. Which is probably also quite nice, but I just prefer function in a bike.
  • BikeSwan
    EH_Rob wrote:
    BikeSwan wrote:
    It really depends on what you want out of the bike.

Very much this. What I want out of bikes is the best bike I can get for the purpose I intend to use it for, as opposed to a list of components that makes me smile. Which is probably also quite nice, but I just prefer function in a bike.

And each to his own. I like the ride more than anything, but I do get a great deal of satisfaction knowing I chose all the components and it's a unique machine. Decide what you want out of the bike and pursue that.
  • If you want to get more more in to downhill and more aggressive riding then don't get a 29er. 29" wheels are too flexy on rough trails at speed and even when cornering they flex a lot more than 26" wheels. Carbon rims would help but it still won't be much fun through tight switchbacks at high speed.
    I would go for a Santa Cruz Blur LT or Intense Tracer instead built with Rockshox Revelation forks, Cane Creek DB coil shock, XTR transmission and brakes, E13 cranks and E13 rims on Chris King hubs.

I am no apologist for the 29er movement (still ride two 26ers and won't be changing in a hurry, despite riding many 29ers now) but unless you are a pro downhiller this is bollocks. You only have to look at the stuff coming out on video from people like Rocky Mountain and Transition to see the level of riding that you, I and the OP can only dream of all done on 29ers. There may be some kind of longevity issue with the wheels given that kind of punishment but they're certainly not stopping the riding.

Having said all of that, I would be thinking of the Intense that you suggested or the Transition Covert if it was me.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris